Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 07:00 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,905,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
You don't have to step in. You sit on the stool and swivel yourself and the good leg in, resting the bad leg on the edge of the tub. Try it beforehand to work out the logistics of your tub. Again, a hand shower will make it easy to get water where you want it while sitting there. If a person living alone can manage 6 weeks of down time with a hip replacement you will certainly have it made with those helpers! Sounds quite luxurious actually.
Could you provide a link to something like that? That sounds like it would resolve the problem. Thanks so very much; it's a relief to find out about this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2018, 07:14 AM

898 posts, read 597,716 times
Medicare should cover a standard walker.... they aren't expensive anyway. You can probably get 2 weeks to a month at a rehab paid by medicare and your meals taken care of, PT every day....then they send a visiting nurse to your house several days per week and a physical therapist a few times per week to your house. The PT won't want you using a rollator.... standard walker is fine.

Old 08-10-2018, 11:18 AM

23,278 posts, read 18,799,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
Could you provide a link to something like that? That sounds like it would resolve the problem. Thanks so very much; it's a relief to find out about this.
I assume you meant the shower stool not the hand shower attachment?

Here's a sampling...there are many variations. You can find them at local hardware stores, home improvement stores, pharmacies, department stores, medical suppliers, etc. Tip. Measure the width of your tub and keep your receipt in case the legs are too wide to sit flat on the bottom. Tubs vary.

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Bath-Bat...s/N-5yc1vZcfw7

Old 08-10-2018, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
I assume you meant the shower stool not the hand shower attachment?

Here's a sampling...there are many variations. You can find them at local hardware stores, home improvement stores, pharmacies, department stores, medical suppliers, etc. Tip. Measure the width of your tub and keep your receipt in case the legs are too wide to sit flat on the bottom. Tubs vary.

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Bath-Bat...s/N-5yc1vZcfw7
So this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K2B9CE2...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Old 08-10-2018, 11:58 AM

11,049 posts, read 6,637,979 times
Well I had both my knees replaced at the same time in 2013. I was at an ideal weight, strong from a physical job, lots of hiking, etc. so they said I was a good candidate. 58 years old.

I never had a walker but used 2 crutches. Maybe that is because of having both done at once. My shower restrictions were for 3 weeks so I just sponge-bathed for that time and (oh the horror) didn't wash my hair for 3 weeks I know, but I wasn't seeing anyone except my husband and my hair is very dry anyway. I looked on it as kind of an experiment. I had PT for 10 days from the hospital, then at my hotel, then a few times from home. They sent me home with one of those machines which levers your knee back and forth and I loved that thing. I did the frozen peas, then transitioned to strap on flexible ice packs.

LOTS of exercises to do, and I was religious about it for an entire year. I had no pain at all and recovered quickly, driving and dancing in 6 weeks. No complications. Back at my physical job in 5 months (but I had the whole winter off anyway---seasonal work).

The biggest disappointment was that my knees had been weak for several years prior, despite my active lifestyle and lots of exercise, and they were not any stronger after the procedure. The other HUGE drawback is no squatting, crouching or kneeling ---but I was not doing that just prior either. I have never understood this aspect of the whole thing, and I hate it. It is extremely limiting, but apparently doesn't happen to everyone.

I have to ask DH for help many times, to get up a higher step, to crouch down to get something, and so forth. SIGH.

You're lucky your hobby is music; mine were all physical and all out-of-the-question now. Good thing I like to read....

Old 08-10-2018, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Well I had both my knees replaced at the same time in 2013. I was at an ideal weight, strong from a physical job, lots of hiking, etc. so they said I was a good candidate. 58 years old.

I never had a walker but used 2 crutches. Maybe that is because of having both done at once. My shower restrictions were for 3 weeks so I just sponge-bathed for that time and (oh the horror) didn't wash my hair for 3 weeks I know, but I wasn't seeing anyone except my husband and my hair is very dry anyway. I looked on it as kind of an experiment. I had PT for 10 days from the hospital, then at my hotel, then a few times from home. They sent me home with one of those machines which levers your knee back and forth and I loved that thing. I did the frozen peas, then transitioned to strap on flexible ice packs.

LOTS of exercises to do, and I was religious about it for an entire year. I had no pain at all and recovered quickly, driving and dancing in 6 weeks. No complications. Back at my physical job in 5 months (but I had the whole winter off anyway---seasonal work).

The biggest disappointment was that my knees had been weak for several years prior, despite my active lifestyle and lots of exercise, and they were not any stronger after the procedure. The other HUGE drawback is no squatting, crouching or kneeling ---but I was not doing that just prior either. I have never understood this aspect of the whole thing, and I hate it. It is extremely limiting, but apparently doesn't happen to everyone.

I have to ask DH for help many times, to get up a higher step, to crouch down to get something, and so forth. SIGH.

You're lucky your hobby is music; mine were all physical and all out-of-the-question now. Good thing I like to read....
Good to hear your story. One thing, however: music isn't my "hobby." It's a profession. Don't know how you got the idea it was a hobby.

Old 08-10-2018, 01:06 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,257,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
I'm lucky in that I have two personal assistants and a housekeeper. I'm not worried about cooking, driving, shopping. But the shower thing worries me the most. I don't have any walk-in showers, just tubs (with showers), and I don't see how I can step into a tub and stand with one leg out of commission. Sponge baths, I guess.
Well heck, go first class and get a shower installed.

Old 08-10-2018, 04:41 PM

4,344 posts, read 4,719,927 times
Total knee replacement 3 years ago at age 56. They made me get up and walk the day after surgery (would have been the same day but I was one of the later surgeries so they waited until the next day). They made me walk up/down stairs at the hospital before I went home (I live in a 3-story house). I didn't use a walker or a cane, just crutches and only went I went out in public and that was more to keep people away! My Dad came and stayed about a week and helped out which was nice, but I could have handled it on my own if I'd had to.

I also agree about being in decent shape. I race bicycles and was in OK shape (limited racing for about a year prior to surgery due to knee pain - not being able to ride was the straw that broke the camel's back and got me to schedule surgery.

I already had crutches, so the only thing I bought was one of these things. Made icing much easier.

https://www.amazon.com/Aircast-Thera...70_&dpSrc=srch

Quote:
make it easier to get up and down and spare bending your knee.
Terrible advice. You want to be using your leg and bending your knee.

Quote:
You should have some PT at home before you start outpatient PT, whether you are with Medicare or one of the Medicare Advantage plans.
True. I had home PT for about 10 days before I went back to my usual PT.

Old 08-10-2018, 05:09 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times
I read so many who go thru these have a terrible time getting their knee(s) to bend. Whatever cartilage is there is all gone for plastic and metal. The MD I hear every week on the PRP/Stem Cell program says as long as one bends their knee there is cartilage there. I bend my knee quite well ENOUGH and that's why I resist a replacement for my knee.

I do a lot with this knee considering what it's been thru and 80 yrs old, but I know there are issues there.

Old 08-10-2018, 05:35 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,939,806 times
Make sure you arrange with your doctor or hospital that painkillers/pain management WILL be available to take with you from the hospital.

A coworker had a TKA and because of the *opioid crisis* was not able to get her prescription filled. By ANY pharmacy she called. There is a 5-day waiting period in her state. She had to deal with the pain no painkillers after she left the hospital.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness