Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 12:21 PM

1,286 posts, read 1,481,880 times

Advertisements

Glad that I am taking Lisinopril instead. And luckily, there are so many blood pressure medications out there for people who will be needing a change from Valsartan, they have options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2018, 12:31 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I did not make up the title, I'm only repeating it. It caught MY attention which is why I'm passing it along.

I don't take the medication and I didn't post to start a debate. Not EVERYTHING has to be a debate, does it?
Not even a "debate". Rather, it's a "debunk". It's over the slant of the link and the misleading content. Makes perfect sense to call that out and clarify it for those who might not know and end up here because of it. A pretty good justification for the discussion don't you think?

Old 08-15-2018, 01:02 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,475,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Not even a "debate". Rather, it's a "debunk". It's over the slant of the link and the misleading content. Makes perfect sense to call that out and clarify it for those who might not know and end up here because of it. A pretty good justification for the discussion don't you think?
It may be misleading and sensationalized but it could still be true which is why it's allowed. News outlets (especially internet news) do this all the time.

Yes, the drugs were recalled because they contain a known carcinogen and yes carcinogens DO give you cancer. It doesn't mean that anybody actually got the cancer from taking these meds. That does not really matter in a court of law does it? There will never be actual proof in cases like this, only circumstantial evidence. That is often enough to win a court case as we have seen many times before.

Old 08-15-2018, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
On C-D, there are a lot of anti-drug, anti-doctor, anti-modern medicine posters, and the way your post was titled seemed to be along that line. Rather than implying that "blood pressure medication causes cancer!", the title could have simply stated that a contaminant was found in a blood pressure medication, and the med was recalled.

Click bait titles are meant to catch your attention, and they are very often misleading.
It did not say ALL blood pressure medication. Who would jump to that conclusion? Plus, when you actually read it you would get the rest of the story. Can't put the whole story in the title..

Old 08-15-2018, 01:12 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,248,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Exactly.

Old 08-15-2018, 01:32 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
So, was the title of your post actually a click bait headline? It was quite misleading.
think that might be what the OP had hoped for, am not sure. I trust my doctor to let me know when a medicine I take has been recalled or might not be safe.

Old 08-15-2018, 01:45 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
It did not say ALL blood pressure medication. Who would jump to that conclusion? Plus, when you actually read it you would get the rest of the story. Can't put the whole story in the title..

You gave two links in the OP with these titles:

Blood pressure medication recalled because it gives you cancer instead

FDA announces voluntary recall of several medicines containing valsartan following detection of an impurity

Why did you choose the first as the thread title rather than the second?

Old 08-15-2018, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
You gave two links in the OP with these titles:

Blood pressure medication recalled because it gives you cancer instead

FDA announces voluntary recall of several medicines containing valsartan following detection of an impurity

Why did you choose the first as the thread title rather than the second?
It's short and to the point which is why it caught my attention to begin with. The answer is in what you quoted.

"when you actually read it you would get the rest of the story"

Do you judge books by the cover?

Old 08-15-2018, 03:57 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
It's short and to the point which is why it caught my attention to begin with. The answer is in what you quoted.

"when you actually read it you would get the rest of the story"

Do you judge books by the cover?
It is misleading, because it is not the active drug that is suspected of causing cancer but an unwanted contaminant. The second link title makes that clear.

You could copy and paste the longer sentence just as easily.

It seems the one you used fits an agenda that the one you didn't choose does not.

Old 08-16-2018, 04:43 AM

6,948 posts, read 6,872,488 times
The abstract of one of those linked papers

The first part of the abstract of that paper
Quote:
Human exposure to N-nitrosodimethylamine (NDMA) from foods and beverages was modeled and upper-bound cancer risks were predicted for the United States and Canada. Approximately 0.5 (0–10.8) cancer incidents per million population from lifetime exposure to NDMA in drinking water were estimated. Lifetime exposure to NDMA from the major exogenous sources may result in 49.6 (range: 17.7–171.7) cancer incidents per million population, while meat products contribute the most (15.9/million) followed by milk products (10.9/million).
it says...
Quote:
Drinking water may contribute approximately 1% to the exogenous cancer risk and holds the 10th position among 10 exogenous sources.
That to me says that water is an item in itself because it is listed as #10.

exogenous = originating externally; relating to external factors,

1% of 1,000,000 (1 million) people is 10,000 people possibly getting cancer from drinking water.
So how does this drinking water appear at #10 in the top 10 list?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness