Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 05:27 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator Fan 79 View Post
Highly recommend the Magic Pill. After watching, I cut out almost all natural and refined sugar and most carbs other than vegetables. In 2 months, I've lost 25+ pounds, my joint aches and pains are gone, and my blood pressure is now under 120/80 without the medication I've been taking for the last 5 years. I've come to believe that "low fat" foods are a scam to get you to eat more sugar. HFCS started appearing in foods in the mid 70's and that's when the obesity epidemic exploded.
Here's the thing with ALL those shows, whether they be vegetarian to keto, and all in between.

They take people who are eating pizza, doritos, soda and twinkies (do they still make those) and put them on a whole food diet, doesn't matter if it is a steak or a mushroom, it IS going to make these people healthier.

I eat lots of grains, I have a huge batch of breakfast cereal that is millet, quinoa, steel cuts oats, farrow, and stuff.... so I am a person who eats CARBS.... but I am not a person who eats a lot of white flour and sugar.

I'm thin.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2018, 06:24 PM

46 posts, read 44,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Here's the thing with ALL those shows, whether they be vegetarian to keto, and all in between.

They take people who are eating pizza, doritos, soda and twinkies (do they still make those) and put them on a whole food diet, doesn't matter if it is a steak or a mushroom, it IS going to make these people healthier.

I eat lots of grains, I have a huge batch of breakfast cereal that is millet, quinoa, steel cuts oats, farrow, and stuff.... so I am a person who eats CARBS.... but I am not a person who eats a lot of white flour and sugar.

I'm thin.
Those are all healthy complex carbs, packaged with lots of fiber, nutrients, and phytonutrients. I also eat a lot of these types of carbs, especially steel cut oats, rolled oats, farro, quinoa, and even...(gasp)...whole wheat sprouted bread. I’m also thin, with a BMI around 18.3. As I said in an earlier post, not all carbs are the same, just as not all fats are created equal.

Old 08-17-2018, 06:27 PM

7,259 posts, read 5,135,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
That's some pretty mild balls out activity. Median marathon time is more around 575 calories an hour, and marathons aren't a balls out activity. Anyone that can run the US median marathon time of 4:22 can go a lot harder for an hour than than they can for four hours. Median 10K pace, a less elite pool than marathon runners, is 8:50 mile pace. Median marathon pace is 10:00 mile.

That's not the point of insulin. The point of insulin is to control blood sugar.
It's not just carbs. Protein is also highly insulinogenic. The thing that isn't is fat, but that's just because fat can pass so easily in and out of cells. Excess protein is simply converted to either fat or glucose where it ultimately ends up in the same place any other excess macro nutrient ends up. Fat.

Americans do not have declining meat consumption. We eat more meat than ever. What we have declining consumption of is red meat, beef and pork. That decline in red meat has been far more than exceeded by increasing consumption of other types of meat, mostly chicken. The only period that wasn't true was the "great recession." It's all economics. The reason we eat less beef and pork is beef and pork are expensive. Chicken is cheaper so we eat more of that. It's the same reason we, briefly, ate less meat during the recession. The food pyramid is not that problem. The problem is we eat too much food and eat too much of the top of the pyramid, junk food. That doesn't have anything to do with obesity but it's not healthy. Obesity is simply a result of eating too much.

The only thing sort of true is that it's very difficult to out run your fork. The fork side of the equations is always going to be the more important one for weight loss than exercise as it's a lot harder to run a marathon than eat the 2,200 - 3,000 or so calories you might burn if you ran one.

A distance runner burns 570-600 cal/hr. How many hours can most people keep on running? Other exercises involve significant rest periods between spurts of energy-- lower calorie expenditure.

I stand corrected on meat consumption. Having raised beef cattle for awhile, I was well aware of the fall in beef consumption-- due to unscientific evidence that red meat is unhealthy. Beef costs much less today than in did 50 yrs ago, allowing for inflation. I was surprised to find when I searched for data that chicken consumption has risen so much. Thanks for the tip.

You're wrong about insulin. Only the kidney requires insulin to function. The main physiological function of Insulin is to regulate lipogenesis & lipolysis. It is only thru a quirk of history that insulin has gotten its reputation as being mainly the regulator of glucose levels. Banting originally was testing the effect of pancreatic extract on blood sugar levels, leading to the isolation of insulin. Had he been testing the effects on lipid metabolism, our undergrad textbooks might now be less simplistic and more accurate. BTW- protein is only indirectly insulinogenic: without sufficient carbs in the diet, gluconeogenesis is accomplished via catabolism of amino acids &/or lipid.

Old 08-17-2018, 06:45 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcass View Post
Those are all healthy complex carbs, packaged with lots of fiber, nutrients, and phytonutrients. I also eat a lot of these types of carbs, especially steel cut oats, rolled oats, farro, quinoa, and even...(gasp)...whole wheat sprouted bread. I’m also thin, with a BMI around 18.3. As I said in an earlier post, not all carbs are the same, just as not all fats are created equal.
Eh you can argue that carbs aren’t the devil until the cows come home and many of the low carb camp will swear otherwise til they’re blue in the face. I eat both complex and simple carbs. I eat fat too. Somehow I lost weight why is that

And weight loss isn’t a race. Whether it takes you two months or two years the real victory is keeping it off, under a variety of situations.

Old 08-17-2018, 10:24 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,023,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
And that is how people like the teacher who ate nothing but McDonald's everyday, but kept below his daily 'maintenance' calories, was able to lose a lot of weight and have relatively healthy blood lipid profiles.
My mom has done well with the "fast food diet" for years. That woman LOVES fast food more than any person probably should, but she's always maintained a healthy weight (other than one brief period for about a year where she was going through some serious life changes/bad news/depression AND was on a lot of medication...but she dropped that weight off eating fast food, too.)

The key is what she eats (she swears by Wendy's Chili, Egg McMuffins and now Egg White Delights from McDonald's, low-fat ice cream cones from McDonald's) and the portions. She'll get an Egg White Delight and a black coffee for breakfast, for example, not two sandwiches and a large Coke or a sandwich and a greasy hashbrown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
As someone who has lost a lot of weight, I concur with much of what you're saying. I will say this about exercise. Exercise is highly effective and key to weight loss if people understand that it's supposed to be complementary to diet, not in lieu of. I cut calories and worked out and the results were phenomenal. I not only got where I needed to be weight wise, I was firm and muscular. I'd rather be toned and strong than simply thin with saggy skin (common to weight loss). People also do not work out hard enough. I constantly increased the resistance of the machine as I got more fit. Even though I don't trust the calories burned number given by the machines, I do think I burn at least 350-400 calories while I am on the elliptical. I go by heart rate and perceived exertion. because I am active, I can have a "cheat day" (probably consume at least 4,000 cals) and lose, or maintain. however I do exercise hard, four times per week, 1.5 hours. Religiously unless I'm sick.
No, you can't outrun an unhealthy diet. Exercise is important for our health anyway, whether we're trying to lose weight or not. Even a slightly overweight person who exercises regularly might be "healthier" and more in shape than someone who is of a healthy weight but who never exercises. And I agree with you about loose/saggy skin.

As far as weight maintenance goes, for me, exercise helps give that slight extra calorie deficit to allow a few "extras." It's not a license to binge on whatever I want. It DOES mean that I can add cheese to my meal, or have a couple glasses of wine in the evening, or maybe have some Dove chocolate when I'm on my period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Portion control is huge. If we eat out DH and I usually split a meal, or bring half home. During the day, I eat from a 1 cup ramekin, IF I'm still hungry I can go back for more, but that almost never happens. At home we split a steak or chicken breast, never eat from a bag (take chips/nuts/etc out put away bag).

We are hardly deprived, but don't need a heaping plate of food.
I agree. Unless it's Thanksgiving or something, I generally prepare my meals on smaller plates. Lunch usually goes on a saucer. Dinner usually goes on a salad plate. They're plenty big.

If I'm still hungry, I might put a little more on my plate. That doesn't usually happen.

Also, the key is to eat until you aren't hungry anymore, or perhaps until you're reasonably satisfied. I try not to eat until I'm "full," much less "stuffed."

Old 08-17-2018, 10:36 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,023,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
This is not only an American forum so the topic should say that America is in a new age of obesity. This problem is a lot less acute in Europe and Asia.

As mentioned a number of time on this thread, the main causes of obesity are not exactly a secret. Americans enjoy the worst quality of the food in the world, with tons of chemical and pesticides added compliments of Food Company mafia. They also don't walk or exercise driving everywhere, compliments of Oil/Car Companies mafia that destroyed public transportation in this country. In addition, most Americans themselves are lazy and misinformed so they are perfectly happy not to cook, eat unhealthy ready made food and not exercise.
It's funny that you say all of this, because the link that was shared is on The Guardian and is primarily talking about the UK, although there is some info about the United States.

Geography isn't my best subject, but isn't the UK in Europe?

Old 08-17-2018, 10:50 PM

1,517 posts, read 990,994 times
Quote:
What we have declining consumption of is red meat, beef and pork. That decline in red meat has been far more than exceeded by increasing consumption of other types of meat, mostly chicken. The only period that wasn't true was the "great recession." It's all economics. The reason we eat less beef and pork is beef and pork are expensive. Chicken is cheaper so we eat more of that. It's the same reason we, briefly, ate less meat during the recession.

Who's this "we"?

Old 08-18-2018, 02:27 AM

4,939 posts, read 3,315,369 times
DD is now in USA and her dad went with her to the local Walmart he saw the big grocery section and was bit amazed at all the factory produced foods. All the varieties of chips,crisps, snacks etc. He usually does spinning/cycling as his sport in EU. In the USA he walked from his airport hotel 23 km early morning to DD college campus and evenings same walk 23 km back again. He has heavy work in EU plus the spinning so he burns massive amounts of calories.
He had a great time eating american foods there, ribs,big steaks, corn breads and beans with bbq sauces etc. It is not something he would be able to do for a longer time, he said food portions there are very big.

Last edited by Nerys52SoSilver; 08-18-2018 at 03:22 AM.. Reason: type error

Old 08-18-2018, 03:38 AM

3,602 posts, read 2,308,178 times
The problem is not quite as bad in Australia but there are still far too many people who are overweight. If you look at the figures for eg Italy, they are much lower. What I think is at least part of the problem is that here and I think also in the US and U.K., we eat too often. In Italy people have a light breakfast, one main meal a day and do not snack so much. Here there is such a big coffee culture that by 10am the cafes are packed and it takes willpower to avoid ordering a pastry with your cappuccino.

But American portion sizes are huge. We do not have many buffets here except hotel breakfasts and a few others. They are pretty much out of fashion.

Speaking personally, I have lost weight by cutting down on carbs. But I find when I am travelling that is very difficult.

Old 08-18-2018, 05:13 AM

1,180 posts, read 1,684,176 times
Portion control, eating slower, not in front of a tv or work monitor and regular light exercise (walking is great) all will help keep the weight off. It takes about 20 minutes to feel full. Chew slowly, eat less, lose weight. Eating without distraction, allows you focus on quantity as well. Keep it simple and it becomes easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness