Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 07:29 PM

7,092 posts, read 12,614,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
If I eat a very low-fat/high-carb diet, I can eat a lot and not get fat.

Ditto if I eat a very low-carb/high-fat diet.

The difference is I physically feel much better doing a very low-carb diet.
Me, too. Eating simple carbs makes me hungry soon after. Not the case with protein/fat. Two scrambled eggs at breakfast with some berries or an orange with no toast or muffin keeps me going until lunch without any hunger or need to snack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2019, 08:49 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,863,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator Fan 79 View Post
Highly recommend the Magic Pill. After watching, I cut out almost all natural and refined sugar and most carbs other than vegetables. In 2 months, I've lost 25+ pounds, my joint aches and pains are gone, and my blood pressure is now under 120/80 without the medication I've been taking for the last 5 years. I've come to believe that "low fat" foods are a scam to get you to eat more sugar. HFCS started appearing in foods in the mid 70's and that's when the obesity epidemic exploded.
Came by this thread for the first time today and had to scan backwards to find what I was looking for, reference to HFCS. I agree with this poster.

Have not seen this movie though plan to eventually, but can say that most probably more than any other thing, HFCS and Non-fat foods killed American's health and it was never the same afterwards. There's tons of articles and evidence to this effect, but people are free to believe what they want.
https://journalistsresource.org/stud...p-your-health/
https://news.utk.edu/2018/12/11/rela...elatively-new/

At a hotel breakfast pantry I watched people eating (only) sweets and carbs for breakfast and just shake my head. I saw parents willing feed their children white starchy waffles and "Pancake Syrup" as the first meal of their day - it is 100% HFCS and food coloring. I see people at supermarket checkout counters with liters of soft drinks in their carts. I've been away from the US a long time was shocked to see this, other countries don't eat like this. IMNSHO any more than one can of soda, any kind, a month is too much, and even that is too much. Many people here are also proud of eating bacon, gotta wonder who is putting those ideas in their heads.
https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/17/healt...ntl/index.html
https://www.pcrm.org/news/news-relea...impacted-colon

BTW once in a while I do have pancakes, a select very few times a year, and only with pure maple syrup. But I treat those occasions as indulgences. At the same frequency I have one can of soda with pizza.

All those non-fat yogurts, 2% milk, sugarless candy, artificial sweeteners? I don't go near them or anything non-fat or diet anything, they're poison in my book, only whole milk fat for me, when I have those things, and in great moderation.

Yes were we all misled by food triangles and FDA recommendations from the past, but there is no reason for people to not know better by now, I think many just choose to ignore their better sense.

Again these are just my observations of food consumption habits since returning to the States, and they are a real eye-opener.

Old 06-04-2019, 12:39 AM

18,503 posts, read 18,648,263 times
Ignorance to not knowing whats in certain food.. not reading labels...........too much alcohol and fizzy drinks with sugar.. sitting too long on the computer or in the car.......stuff being added to cattle to beef them up then we eat the same additive... drink and food that say no added sugar.......but are still full of the stuff... snack eating .. nuts , crisps contain loads of calories.. I also think pesticide spraying on vegetables may cause obesity, so wash all your fruit and veg well.
New study finds how pesticide exposure causes obesity. BEIJING -- A new study has found that the use of pesticides increases the risk of developing obesity by impairing gut and gut microbiota. ... Gut microbiota, containing tens of trillions of microorganisms, has important effects including in immunity and body weight. Only eat very low fat yogurts not the ones with fruit in... eat Kefir low fat natural yogurt drink. be good to your body and walk more..

Old 06-04-2019, 12:25 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,251,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repatriot View Post
At a hotel breakfast pantry I watched people eating (only) sweets and carbs for breakfast and just shake my head. I saw parents willing feed their children white starchy waffles and "Pancake Syrup" as the first meal of their day - it is 100% HFCS and food coloring. I see people at supermarket checkout counters with liters of soft drinks in their carts. I've been away from the US a long time was shocked to see this, other countries don't eat like this. IMNSHO any more than one can of soda, any kind, a month is too much, and even that is too much. <snip>
Oh, I know. My son and DIL are better than most about watching what their daughters (ages 5 and 2 1/2) consume- I don't think they've ever had pop- but when I make them pancakes I make sure to have a bottle of real maple syrup. No crappy mix of chemicals from Aunt Jemima. Their other grandma is a good woman but she posted a picture on FB of her pancakes she makes for the kids- they include whipped cream (probably not real) and chocolate chips.

And yes, I live in an area with mixed demographics and see people with their carts full of 7-Up and Little Debbie cakes. Frequently the cart is a scooter version operated by someone who's overweight and has an empty sock where their foot used to be. I can make an educated guess how that happened.

Old 06-04-2019, 03:46 PM

7,092 posts, read 12,614,811 times
I grew up with lots of sugar in my life--my parents didn't know any better in those days. Drank gallons of pop, ate many candy bars/penny candy, and crappy snack cakes.

The fillings in my teeth helped many a dentist send his kids through college.

Also had lots of sore throats and ear infections. No doubt from all that sugar--and both parents smoking.

Glad we've wised up some...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness