Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 03:35 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,402,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and there are some people who spend their time looking for things to worry about!!!!
I wasn't looking for it. It popped up on my facebook feed and it seemed to fit in this thread perfectly AND I'm not worried about it. It's just FYI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2018, 06:34 PM

7,669 posts, read 5,385,670 times
Quote:
Don't take these articles so seriously. If you panic over every test that is released like this, you will end up starving as you will have nothing left to eat.
Nonsense. One need not buy Quaker Oats in order to enjoy a healthy bowl of oatmeal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clawsondude View Post
I eat plain Quaker oats for breakfast 5 days per week. Eating oatmeal, especially without adding sugar and other unhealthy things has well known and accepted health benefits. The danger (if any) of ingesting the amount of Roundup in this oatmeal is not truly scientifically known.

So what is the bigger health risk to me, giving up the known benefits of consuming my plain oatmeal everyday, or eating something else due to an unconfirmed fear?
I'll send you ours. I will no longer touch the stuff. I hope Quaker Oats goes down in flames. They could have changed their practices years ago and chose not to do so, instead filling Americans and others with large amounts of pesticides.

There are plenty of other oatmeal brands that do not contain significant amounts of Round-up/pesticide and they are listed on the EWG.org website.

We bought some Bob's Red Mill Organic Oats two days ago (available at many stores, and there is a coupon on their website) and are eating that now. It tastes better, too.

They have a huge variety of oat styles. We bought the steel cut quick oats.

Old 08-17-2018, 10:34 PM

1,186 posts, read 957,080 times
The fact that these companies are fighting tooth and nail to avoid labeling GMOs is, at the very least, telling.
Consumers should have more information available to them about what they are eating, not less and this should not be a decision that corporate interests should control.

In the meantime, I'll steer clear of these products and suck it up to do the research on my own until the US joins the rest of the civilized world and starts forcing them to at least label the products which contain these ingredients.

Old 08-18-2018, 05:00 AM

1,180 posts, read 1,666,388 times
I am against these chemicals as more and more are getting into the food chains. Unfortunately, the alternatives are usually much higher prices. One has to pick at what point is enough. I also agree it can take years before any conclusive studies prove out the dangers. But you know something is not right when other countries are banning thes products.
In the end, it's up to you to decide what role you take on boycotting, speaking out or just avoiding said products as much as possible.
For me, I stopped using Roundup some years ago and feel better about it with an eleven year old in the house. I do my part, but I likely pay less attention, indirectly, with what foods may have trace amounts as it may raise my blood pressure and stress levels even higher than they are, which is 100's of more times likely to kill me faster than eating all the products I can manage to digest in my lifetime with said trace amounts. Just putting it in perspective for me.

Old 08-18-2018, 06:52 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,197,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Nonsense. One need not buy Quaker Oats in order to enjoy a healthy bowl of oatmeal.

I'll send you ours. I will no longer touch the stuff. I hope Quaker Oats goes down in flames. They could have changed their practices years ago and chose not to do so, instead filling Americans and others with large amounts of pesticides.

There are plenty of other oatmeal brands that do not contain significant amounts of Round-up/pesticide and they are listed on the EWG.org website.

We bought some Bob's Red Mill Organic Oats two days ago (available at many stores, and there is a coupon on their website) and are eating that now. It tastes better, too.

They have a huge variety of oat styles. We bought the steel cut quick oats.
did anyone suggest you buy Quaker Oaks? the point some are making or trying to anyway is: the amount of poison or what you are considering is poison in a bowl of whatever isn't worth the worry. Some of us have been eating these foods for decades, like maybe 7 or 8... We are still alive. Do you really think there is anything we can do to totally protect ourselves against everything? Hew, did you drive your car yesterday or wide the cable car, whatever? Do you realize how many people are killed in car accidents a day? Maybe you should just not drive or ride with anyone? Heck and what about living in an area that has been hit hard by fires in the past 2 years? Think of the damage they have done to the air you breath!!!!

Old 08-18-2018, 01:11 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,556,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Based on their own calculations, they say a single serving of most of the foods they tested, eaten each day for a lifetime, would cause just one additional case of cancer in every million people.

“That’s such a low increased risk to speculate about,†Davoren says. “When you’re dealing with something like that, a 1-in-a-million increased risk of cancer, I would say that isn’t a significant level to be particularly concerned about.â€

Good to be aware of, but not a huge concern.
As long as you're not the one. If you are, it kind of sucks to die from a preventable cancer.

Old 08-18-2018, 01:47 PM

6,337 posts, read 11,501,944 times
Organic oatmeal is about $1.49 a pound at the local food co-op. that's 8-10 servings isn't it? No one is going to go broke eating organic oatmeal, especially compared to packaged cereals, organic or not.

Old 08-20-2018, 07:59 PM

7,669 posts, read 5,385,670 times
Quote:
Do you really think there is anything we can do to totally protect ourselves against everything? Hew, did you drive your car yesterday or wide the cable car, whatever? Do you realize how many people are killed in car accidents a day? Maybe you should just not drive or ride with anyone? Heck and what about living in an area that has been hit hard by fires in the past 2 years? Think of the damage they have done to the air you breath!!!!
Oh, calm down, for goodness sakes. Emoji-Itis and the constant smacking of your head isn't good for you.

How do you go from a discussion of pesticide in Quaker Oats to car driving and getting killed? Or to fires and breathing in smoke?

You clearly need a geography lesson if you think I live where there have been wildfires, not to mention that wildfires also have nothing whatever to do with Roundup/Glyphosate in Quaker Oats.

Old 08-21-2018, 07:27 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,197,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Oh, calm down, for goodness sakes. Emoji-Itis and the constant smacking of your head isn't good for you.

How do you go from a discussion of pesticide in Quaker Oats to car driving and getting killed? Or to fires and breathing in smoke?

You clearly need a geography lesson if you think I live where there have been wildfires, not to mention that wildfires also have nothing whatever to do with Roundup/Glyphosate in Quaker Oats.
wow, some one upset you a little!!!???

Having family in the bay area and living there one time myself, I know how close the region is to where the fires, both last fall and now have come. Of course not actually in the area, but the smoke residue travels miles.

I gave an example of driving to point out if we worry about everything in life, we would never leave our homes. Did you really read the article that is being discussed ? You know why I posted it that way or I am hoping you are bright enough to know.

Lets just say you look at life very differently than I do. I have learned, after many years on earth, it is easier to just accept what God gives us instead of getting worked up over everything.

Old 08-21-2018, 12:59 PM

7,134 posts, read 4,971,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladlensky View Post
The fact that these companies are fighting tooth and nail to avoid labeling GMOs is, at the very least, telling.

Interesting lack of logic.

Tell me--if, say, GM engineers invent a new and better Kanuten Valve for their cars, should they advertise the superiority of their cars, or should they lobby the govt to force other manufacturers to put a warning label on their products proclaiming that they don't have the new and improved Kanuten Valve?

If non-GMO products are so great, let those producers advertise their superiority without violating the truth in advertising rules. They don't because they can't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness