Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 05:23 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,616,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
But with a scientific background, I'm not surprised you are choosing the side of science.
Sorry to disappoint you but i prefer Both ......and have lived the nutrition part since 1985 when i became a Steroid Free bodybuilder at 21. We Bodybuilders know all about nutrition as we want to get as big and strong and also have high explosive energy to pump iron 5 to 6 days a week at 1 to 1 1/2 hours in a Gym. At my strongest and biggest back in 1993/94 i was 6/3 tall and 240 lbs. That's no longer my objective at 43 as i'm not going to consume 5,000 calories a day as back then just to be Super Huge anymore. I'm happy at at 220 lbs and still muscular. One more time ....Jack Lalane is my Hero. At 93 he still worksout 2 hours a day including 500 pushups a day as i don't even do that.

Nothing wrong in having science advance in the Longevity and antiaging sciences. Science is helping others like those with Spinal Cord Paralysis and ALS. Also Progeria where children die at 12 in a 90 year olds body also Muscular Dystrophy and Huntingtons and Spina Bifida and Pancreatic Cancer and on and on so damn right i'm for Futuristic Science ( Not todays garbage) as not all can be healed by nutrition alone.

But yeah i've ''walk to walk'' and not just ''talk the talk'' when it comes to nutrition since 1985 and will continue hopefully for a long time. Oh i believe i've mentioned on past threads that i usually go thru 96 Green Tea bags (2 bx 48 ct) a week for starters.

Now go join the YMCA and have fun

Last edited by Six Foot Three; 04-07-2008 at 06:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 07:03 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,454,047 times
6ft 3 said:

"....Nothing wrong in having science advance in the Longevity and antiaging sciences. Science is helping others like those with Spinal Cord Paralysis and ALS. Also Progeria where children die at 12 in a 90 year olds body also Muscular Dystrophy and Huntingtons and Spina Bifida and Pancreatic Cancer and on and on so damn right i'm for Futuristic Science ( Not todays garbage) as not all can be healed by nutrition alone...."

"Helping" someone with pancreatic cancer is not as good as getting RID of it which is what some Naturopathic Doctors can do. I personally know one who has. He's also helped patients get rid of diabetes, LUPUS, M.S. and much more.I think modern medicine, as long as doctors are only going to be trained in allopathic medicine and not also naturopathic medicine, should should stick to what they are good at which is stablizing people in ACUTE life or death situations and not continue to try to "help" anyone with chronic or degenerative diseases (while only making things worse in the process all the while gouging people's money/insurance ). They should leave the chronic and degenerate diseases to the experts who understand CAUSES of disease and know how to eliminate the cause, and by doing so, they get rid of the disease altogether. In fact they should be HONEST for a change about their narrow training and inability to do anything but address symptoms and encourage patients to go see a Naturopathic Doctor if they want to finally get their health back. If they truly had their patients best interests in mind, that is what they'd do.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:55 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,225,081 times
Quote:
Nature and natural medicines have thousands of years proven track record on BioTech. Biotech is the new "kid" on the block. (In fact not even a kid yet.) But with a scientific background, I'm not surprised you are choosing the side of science.

Natural medicines have a proven track record going back thousands of years???

Just curious, what was the average lifespan of humans "thousands of years ago?'

How about 100's of years ago??

How about 50 years ago?? 20 years ago??

Any trends that you might have noticed about the average human lifespan in the age of biotech that might trump the obvious failure of natural medicines??

Old 04-08-2008, 11:02 PM

Quote:
6ft 3 said:

"....Nothing wrong in having science advance in the Longevity and antiaging sciences. Science is helping others like those with Spinal Cord Paralysis and ALS. Also Progeria where children die at 12 in a 90 year olds body also Muscular Dystrophy and Huntingtons and Spina Bifida and Pancreatic Cancer and on and on so damn right i'm for Futuristic Science ( Not todays garbage) as not all can be healed by nutrition alone...."

"Helping" someone with pancreatic cancer is not as good as getting RID of it which is what some Naturopathic Doctors can do. I personally know one who has. He's also helped patients get rid of diabetes, LUPUS, M.S. and much more.I think modern medicine, as long as doctors are only going to be trained in allopathic medicine and not also naturopathic medicine, should should stick to what they are good at which is stablizing people in ACUTE life or death situations and not continue to try to "help" anyone with chronic or degenerative diseases (while only making things worse in the process all the while gouging people's money/insurance ). They should leave the chronic and degenerate diseases to the experts who understand CAUSES of disease and know how to eliminate the cause, and by doing so, they get rid of the disease altogether. In fact they should be HONEST for a change about their narrow training and inability to do anything but address symptoms and encourage patients to go see a Naturopathic Doctor if they want to finally get their health back. If they truly had their patients best interests in mind, that is what they'd do.
I'm calling BS on all of the above...

There is no cure for diabetes, MS or Lupus and anyone who states they have found a cure is delusional.....

Quackwatch.com has some very good info on naturopaths for anyone interested

Old 04-09-2008, 11:19 AM

This a good story of Gertrude Baines who at 114 is the 3rd oldest person alive and her docs say she has a strong Heart and very sound mind and besides a few aches she has no illness or diseases. Yeap her docs are in awe at her great health and when asked her secret she says just faith in her religion and ''Don''t worry about anything''. Where have i read that before as human longevity is concerned. She still eats bacon and toast everyday as her favorate foods.

She makes 114 look so easy - Los Angeles Times (http://www.latimes.com/features/health/medicine/la-me-baines7apr07,1,3056341.story - broken link)

Old 04-09-2008, 08:22 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,282,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
I'm calling BS on all of the above...

There is no cure for diabetes, MS or Lupus and anyone who states they have found a cure is delusional.....

Quackwatch.com has some very good info on naturopaths for anyone interested
There is a cure for diabetes and many other diseases. Change what you are eating is number one. Exercising daily, getting plenty of sunlight, and staying away from doctors* is the best bet.

*doctors just want to medicate and never cure the problem. A pill is not a cure. Lifestyle changes are.
Quackwatch is probably run by someone with something to gain if everyone gets healthy, so of course they will try to discredit naturopaths.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
There is a cure for diabetes and many other diseases. Change what you are eating is number one. Exercising daily, getting plenty of sunlight, and staying away from doctors* is the best bet.

*doctors just want to medicate and never cure the problem. A pill is not a cure. Lifestyle changes are.
Quackwatch is probably run by someone with something to gain if everyone gets healthy, so of course they will try to discredit naturopaths.
No there is not a cure for Type I Diabetes....once your pancreas islet cells are burnt out and stop producing insulin there is NO way to recover that ability, all the dietary changes or exercise in the world is not going to change that.

Contrary to popular belief "lifestyle choices" are not the cause of ALL disease, genetics plays a much larger role in many illnesses and again...there is no amount of diet or exercise that will make up for choosing the wrong parents and grandparents...

Quackwatch is not run for gain...its run to bring light to all the bogus claims made by those who would prey on folks wallets by making up false cures...something that many naturopaths do on a daily basis....

I always love all the "natural medicine" afficionados who will decry the "big money" interests in modern medicine and act as if naturopaths, homeopaths and others of the ilk are providing service out of the goodness of their hearts, not charging a penny....

Alternative medicine is a billion dollar industry and is just as reliant on the almighty dollar as any other big business

Old 04-09-2008, 09:44 PM

713 posts, read 2,717,106 times
Lifestyle changes are not a cure for diabetes type II, they are a way of treating (controlling) the disease. They can (not always) put the condition into a "remission" so to speak. Return to the old lifestyle and the symptoms of diabetes return....not cured. Cured means bye-bye diabetes.

I sure am glad that I saw a medical doctor when I needed a liver transplant.

Btw, the pharmaceutical medication that has kept my liver from being rejected for almost 23 years is derived from a "natural" source...a fungus that grows in Europe. Many pharma drugs begin with natural sources.

Last edited by verynicebecky; 04-09-2008 at 10:39 PM..

Old 04-10-2008, 08:26 AM

513 posts, read 896,856 times
I wasn't able to watch the show but reading all the posts has helped me to understand some of the shows contents. It is interesting to read all the posts and the different views people have of living longer. Today the average age is much higher than it was in the 1800's because of technology and the ease of life in present day. People don't think anything of it, it's just normal life expectancy. Years from now the normal life expectancy could be 150 and the world will adjust to it just like we've adjusted today. In fact one of the issues we are facing today is that there won't be enough money in the Social Security fund in the near future to continue the program because people are living longer and collecting longer. This will work itself out and life will go on. As generations come and go the current generation is more comfortable with what they where brought up with. New technology although, welcomed and expirimented, isn't as positively received as it is by the newer generation because it's what their growing up with and what they are use to.

I Think it will be normal for people to live to be 150 years in the future, and they will be pushing for 200 and so on.

Old 04-11-2008, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
Exercising daily, getting plenty of sunlight,
I do agree with those 2 points. Speaking of Sunlight as it has always uplifted my mood and gets the endorphins flowing. How i HATE Winter !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness