Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 01:57 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,785,978 times

Advertisements

I have 2 beers 4-5 days a week, which I think is extremely low risk..alcohol has been demonized way too much while not enough has been made about the huge health impacts of soda, diet or otherwise, fatty fried foods etc. Many people I know are chastising drinkers yet gulping soda and eating horrible food which has a far more negative impact than my 2-3 beers.

why isn't there an article such as "not even 1 french fry is safe" or "1 can of soda can take years off your life"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2018, 02:48 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
I have 2 beers 4-5 days a week, which I think is extremely low risk..alcohol has been demonized way too much while not enough has been made about the huge health impacts of soda, diet or otherwise, fatty fried foods etc. Many people I know are chastising drinkers yet gulping soda and eating horrible food which has a far more negative impact than my 2-3 beers.

why isn't there an article such as "not even 1 french fry is safe" or "1 can of soda can take years off your life"?
Good point. My husband and I drink wine, one or two glasses most nights. We don't eat fast food, we don't smoke, we are in good shape and we exercise. I am sure we are much healthier than the person who doesn't drink a drop of alcohol but eats fast food and drinks sodas.

Moderation in life is the key.

Old 08-29-2018, 05:23 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
I am not afraid of dying. It is far better than being afraid to live. (Tips glass)

Old 08-30-2018, 01:37 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,744,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Drinking a beer or two a day is not the same as smoking. Far from it.
No I didnt say that I was quoting "getting run over by a bus".. and what smokers who dont want to quit or wont listen to health reasons says......of course drinking is a diffierent issue... mainly affecting only the person drinking..

Old 08-30-2018, 02:13 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,633,327 times
I no longer drink and haven’t for a while, but I’m not buying what they’re selling. I’ve done a lot of research into the subject and they’re flat out wrong. Very well researched, much larger studies found that moderate drinkers had the longest life expectancy and in fact relatively heavy drinkers had a lower mortality from all causes than people who didn’t drink at all, who came in dead last in life expectancy besides those who drank to extreme excess. Alcohol has a beneficial effect at moderate doses and reduces incidence of many heart related issues and diseases.

I don’t drink because moderation wasn’t working out for me. I found and find no joy in a glass or two of anything, I think it’s pointless. If I was drinking I wanted to really drink, so I could put it away That’s not healthy for your body or your relationships so I found myself happier to just avoid it. A glass of beer is wasted calories, you feel nothing, so for me it’s zero or a lot.

Old 08-30-2018, 02:40 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,375,370 times
Hangovers,
embarrassing situations,
dead brain cells,
can't drive, (without risking SO much),
can be expensive,
bad choices made,
more injuries,
unneeded calories,
extra burden on the liver,
disturbed sleeping patterns...gee,what else?
Really, can you think of anything?

Oh, how about the guilt if a friend gets in trouble leaving your house?
If self medicating, the problem is still there and now maybe worse.

Old 08-30-2018, 02:48 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,375,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
If alcohol should be illegal what about fat in our diet for starters.
I wish you would have said sugar and carbs instead...or pesticides and chemical additives.

Old 08-30-2018, 12:35 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Good point. My husband and I drink wine, one or two glasses most nights. We don't eat fast food, we don't smoke, we are in good shape and we exercise. I am sure we are much healthier than the person who doesn't drink a drop of alcohol but eats fast food and drinks sodas.

Moderation in life is the key.
We drink 2 or 3 glasses each night or most of the time. Hubby will have a scotch on weekends, and I might have a Bloody Mary or a martini. Like you we do not eat junk or fast foods often (did each have a piece of pizza for lunch). It is rare either of us have a soda and we exercise as much as our 81 plus year old bodies can handle. We are not worried about the effects of a few drinks each day. Life is short for most of us anyway. I would love to know I enjoyed myself up til the end.

Old 08-30-2018, 12:39 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Hangovers,
embarrassing situations,
dead brain cells,
can't drive, (without risking SO much),
can be expensive,
bad choices made,
more injuries,
unneeded calories,
extra burden on the liver,
disturbed sleeping patterns...gee,what else?
Really, can you think of anything?

Oh, how about the guilt if a friend gets in trouble leaving your house?
If self medicating, the problem is still there and now maybe worse.
most of this is only true if you over indulge. Most of us do not. For those who do that is a totally different story. The only part of your preaching might be, even in moderation, the cost. And anyone who lets a friend drive home after consuming too much isn't a friend.

Old 08-30-2018, 03:03 PM

995 posts, read 509,770 times
Why do people take these bogus "studies" with any level of seriousness? It's been proven over and over again that small amounts of alcohol isn't harmful and is oftentimes beneficial. And these people come along and pump out a bunch of fake data in order to press their case that all drinking is BAD.

That's why anytime someone does a study that I disagree with, I simply ignore it. I urge everyone else to do the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness