Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 04:53 AM

3,106 posts, read 1,768,194 times

Advertisements

I have a colonoscopy every 2 years and do it without sedation because for me it is a painless procedure and sedation makes me ill. This works for me but not for others and fortunately people have the choice as to what works for them.

The original poster is surely trolling in their posing colonoscopies are done in the nude in Europe (which I highly doubt is true). Wearing a gown and being covered with a sheet does not slow the process down or add but pennies to the cost. Only voyeurs would advocate for leaving patients nude during this procedure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2018, 05:05 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuMart View Post
For example, in Europe when getting a colonoscopy they don't knock you out, hell you don't even wear a gown, you do most everything without sedation and fully nude everywhere else. Only Americans are wimps and prudes about these kinds of things.
Who really cares? That being said: I guess we now know another reason why socialized medicine isn't the answer.

Last edited by nmnita; 08-26-2018 at 05:15 AM..

Old 08-26-2018, 05:12 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,466,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceiligrrl View Post
we can say a lot of derogatory things about America.... or Americans....but chances are you weren't there the days after those towers fell, as was I, as were my friends, all my neighbors, sure, as a native New Yorker, and a daughter of a Port Authority police officer, who died immediately after that horrific day, I most likely am very biased. VERY.....but do not dare say to me that Americans are wimps, do not tell me that Americans do not possess a courage, a strength, a deserved pride. Shame on you.
We spend nearly as much on our military as the rest of the world combined, we have more guns than people and now some people want a wall to cower behind. The home of the wimps, not the brave.

Old 08-26-2018, 05:19 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
We spend nearly as much on our military as the rest of the world combined, we have more guns than people and now some people want a wall to cower behind. The home of the wimps, not the brave.
Not even close: we are not wimps, at least those of us who respect our country are proud and happy to be living in a country that is free, are not wimps. The men and women who put their lives on the line to protect us from harm are not wimps. The amount of money we spend on military and the number of guns has nothing to do with beings wimps. Maybe you need to explain that statement a little better. It makes no sense.

Old 08-26-2018, 05:31 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
To clarify - not sure how it's done in every hospital in the US, but around here, it's not "general anesthesia" in the sense of that deep sort of anesthesia for colonoscopies. It's a super light "dose." In fact, it's very very common for the patient to actually wake up during the procedure, talk, etc. My husband did that by the way. It was described to us as a sort of anesthesia that is inhaled, not injected, and you're literally one deep breath away from being awake and many do wake up,

There are many types of "general anesthesia" and this is the very lightest, lowest risk form - and get this, it's actually optional around here, but since insurance generally covers it, it's super low risk, and it's so easy to wake up from with no ill effects, that's how most folks just do it.

After my colonoscopy, which was around 8 am, we went out to eat breakfast. I felt great. We were home and I was out working in the yard by noon.

Old 08-26-2018, 07:17 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,466,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Not even close: we are not wimps, at least those of us who respect our country are proud and happy to be living in a country that is free, are not wimps. The men and women who put their lives on the line to protect us from harm are not wimps. The amount of money we spend on military and the number of guns has nothing to do with beings wimps. Maybe you need to explain that statement a little better. It makes no sense.
A lot of countries are just as free as we are without spending hundreds of billions on weapons that can`t be used and yes hiding behind guns and walls is cowardly. What needs to be explained? This is off topic so I`m done here.

Old 08-26-2018, 07:20 AM

3,075 posts, read 1,540,961 times
I have friends who have had colonoscopies and no sedation. They werent given a choice.

Old 08-26-2018, 07:39 AM

20,321 posts, read 19,909,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuMart View Post
For example, in Europe when getting a colonoscopy they don't knock you out, hell you don't even wear a gown, you do most everything without sedation and fully nude everywhere else. Only Americans are wimps and prudes about these kinds of things.
And why do American restaurants have signs in the restrooms exhorting emplyees to wash their hands after relieving themselves?

How did we get to a nation of germophobic sissies?

You can bet the Euros do it THEIR WAY, however they please and laugh at us uncultured Americans.

Old 08-26-2018, 07:47 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
In Europe, socialized medicine doesn't cover the cost of even the mild sedative that GI MDs use in the US to lessen the risk of a patient "flinching" and causing serious damage to the intestinal mucosa.
So, we have had 9/11 sucked into this silly thread as if it had a flying fart to do with the OP's totally inaccurate characterization, and now it is going to be the American St. George attacking the dragon of socialized medicine.

"Socialized medicine" where? In what system?

I have private health insurance but also use the national system, no problems with being given a sedative. I was not given one in Lennox Hill Hospital in NYC in the 90's, but that was then and this is now and I assume that things have changed even in primitive Manhattan, NYC, so I will refrain from saying, "but, but, but", or should that be butt, butt, butt.[/quote]

Let's take a break from sandpapering our skins so we can be offended, and enjoy a pleasant Sunday.

Quote:
Response above assumes of course that the original OP ain't a lonely troll seeking attention.
Five will get you ten that it is exactly that, and people got sucked into it like a bunch of teenagers having a mass hysteria attack.

Old 08-26-2018, 09:32 AM

2,495 posts, read 1,869,118 times
Reminds me about the story of the boy who comes into the dentist's office, with his smaller brother in tow.

The boy says to the dentist, "I've got a tooth that needs to be pulled and I'm in a hurry, so I don't want any novacaine."

The dentist remarks, "Well, you are a brave young lad! Which tooth is it?"

The boy turns to his little brother and says, "Ralphie, show him your tooth."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness