Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2018, 06:29 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Well, I actually ask my dentist NOT to give me any anesthesia. I can handle the pain, but hate the mouth feel after receiving anesthesia. Topical numbing it's just fine to me.
If I can, I refuse to take any pain medications. Those only manage pain, and are not helping to cure the cause.
Gave birth to my son without any anesthesia also.
Perhaps people in Europe are not such sissies...
I think the OP was calling Americans "wimps" and I don't recall anyone calling Europeans "sissies" on this thread.

This American gave birth to four kids with no anesthesia. I rarely take any pain medication and am on no prescription drugs for anything. I do opt for novocain for most dental procedures though.

None of these choices makes me a wimp or a sissy - it's just my personal choice and I'm lucky enough to have that choice as an American. Some people in other countries do not have as many options available to them when it comes to medical procedures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2018, 07:57 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Yes, wart removal is considered surgery.
https://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-...eatments/warts

Removing intestinal polyps is far more invasive.
Yes - but they're both "surgery"? Yes, "invasive" is the keyword that people seem to be freaking out over....haha.

So what is your point - that all surgery is the same? Or that it isn't? I've lost track. A rose by any other name...I know that a polyp removal during a colonoscopy isn't the same as an open hysterectomy whether you call them both surgeries or not. Different procedures require different levels of "sedation".

Old 08-29-2018, 08:06 AM

19,637 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Twilight anesthesia has gotten better over the years. Last time I woke right up with no grogginess to speak of and I was out of there pretty quickly which is what everyone wants. So, it's getting better. It would be nice if there was a better way to do general anesthesia, which still seems to me to be uncomfortable and risky.

Old 08-29-2018, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Twilight anesthesia has gotten better over the years. Last time I woke right up with no grogginess to speak of and I was out of there pretty quickly which is what everyone wants. So, it's getting better. It would be nice if there was a better way to do general anesthesia, which still seems to me to be uncomfortable and risky.
I guess it's great not to be groggy - but since you can't drive yourself anyway the only person it helps is your driver not having to wait around so long for you! Whether I can eat right after or instead go straight home and fall asleep doesn't matter either. I doubt few people go straight back to work sedated or not. I don't have someone to drive me and they won't let you take a cab or uber or public transportation....maybe THEY should provide transportation? Otherwise I wouldn't consider sedation a viable option at all...

Old 08-29-2018, 08:40 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Yes - but they're both "surgery"? Yes, "invasive" is the keyword that people seem to be freaking out over....haha.

So what is your point - that all surgery is the same? Or that it isn't? I've lost track. A rose by any other name...I know that a polyp removal during a colonoscopy isn't the same as an open hysterectomy whether you call them both surgeries or not. Different procedures require different levels of "sedation".
You're the one playing this little game-I bring up surgery, you say a colonoscopy isn't surgery: I bring up polyp removal, you bring up warts. I bring up "invasive" you laugh at me derisively, as you did with tamajane and others. You keep supporting an untruth-that Europeans don't get anesthesia/sedation for colonoscopies. What's your deal here?

Old 08-29-2018, 10:31 AM

48,530 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Even general is so much better. DH just had orthoscopic surgery on his shoulder. Doc came out told me what they did, and like 10 mins. later they said I could hang out with DH, he was 100% clear headed, and 10 mins after that we were out of there.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-29-2018, 04:01 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,566,266 times
I'm a horrible wimp. I won't even go to get testing done because I'm too scared of the results. I can handle procedures, I cannot handle the fear of the results!

Old 08-29-2018, 04:57 PM

292 posts, read 163,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApePeeD View Post
My urologist is a ****ing prude. My god, man, yes, you are actually going to have to actually LOOK, TOUCH, and EXAMINE my penis, and also my urine and semen. That's what a urologist does.
And you're a lovin it!!

Difficult to get a volunteer to do this with?

Free advice- loose some weight, groom yourself. No more curse words like we see above

You're welcome

Old 08-29-2018, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
You're the one playing this little game-I bring up surgery, you say a colonoscopy isn't surgery: I bring up polyp removal, you bring up warts. I bring up "invasive" you laugh at me derisively, as you did with tamajane and others. You keep supporting an untruth-that Europeans don't get anesthesia/sedation for colonoscopies. What's your deal here?
Truth be told, I think a lot of people are wimpy about a lot of stuff...it's not Americans against the "Europeans". I have heard very little in this thread to make me change my mind. We look down on drug users so much but by god I want to be zonked out when I get a wart removed and give me 30 vicodin for afterwards.

Show where I said the Europeans don't get sedation - but - their percentages are far lower... Now, their percentages are rising but the percentage in the U.S. is falling. And the percentages vary greatly from state to state and hospital to hospital. I think that attitude that it's crazy to have an unsedated colonoscopy is...frankly, crazy. If it was crazy then no one would do it...but they do - as I said - several IN THIS VERY THREAD have admitted to it!

What do you say about it? What's your deal?!

Old 08-29-2018, 07:44 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,896,331 times
Here's my take on enduring pain. I already know I can take a lot of pain. But I don't feel like I have to prove that every time I get a procedure done. If anything is available to take for any pain, I'll take it. I'm sure there will be many other times when I won't be able to take anything for pain and I'll save my "See how tough I am!" for those times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness