Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 10:58 AM

110 posts, read 67,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuMart View Post
For example, in Europe when getting a colonoscopy they don't knock you out, hell you don't even wear a gown, you do most everything without sedation and fully nude everywhere else. Only Americans are wimps and prudes about these kinds of things.
you are a prude because you don't want to expose more of your private parts to doctor than necessary? why do you think they are called private parts and why do you believe the doctor wants to see more of them than is necessary for the procedure?
talka bout bizarre

I think you are fantasizing here and not sure it's something which needs shared on an open forum like this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2018, 10:59 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Uhm no, that's not what I'm saying. A colonoscopy does NOT require a general - that's the whole point. Got it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
What anesthesia does a colonoscopy require? Be specific and cite your sources. Thanks.
Are you seriously saying a colonoscopy REQUIRES a general? You're right - I won't find any source saying ANY particular drug is required! Because people have them all the time with NOTHING. Next step up is nitrous oxide or a benzo...then various levels of conscious sedation...all the way to a general. Pick what you like...but a general is NOT required and adds the risk of complications that don't seem balanced with the need.

Wonder if I can find a source on what level is required to give birth?

Old 08-26-2018, 11:01 AM

110 posts, read 67,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
So should I be nude for my next root canal???
the op surely loves that imagery

Old 08-26-2018, 11:07 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,143,957 times
Quote:
What anesthesia does a colonoscopy require? Be specific and cite your sources. Thanks.
Well technically, I guess it's fair to say no anesthesia is required for a colonoscopy, but most people are happier when they're less rather than more aware of what's going on, including the discomfort, during a colonoscopy.

Here's a link to an article that discusses the various agents used for anesthesia during colonoscopies.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4973564/

Looks as though there is a choice between conscious sedation and "deep sedation with anesthesia" that require a anesthesiologist's monitoring of the patient during the procedure. Reading through the article, though, gives me the impression that the main difference between the two are just a matter of how much of the drugs are given to keep the patient either sedated but arousable, or deeply sedated. Also looks like a combination of drugs used for colonoscopy include a short-acting anesthetic and a pain reliever. There are various drugs mentioned but often propofol and fentanyl are used.

Old 08-26-2018, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I am guessing most of us have the type of anesthesia you are talking about. I usually have awaken before even leaving the procedure room.
That's been my experience as well. Though I did wake up a little during my first colonoscopy in 2008. I remember feeling very groggy, with a stomach ache and a feeling as though I had been impaled, and I think I complained more or less incoherently. Someone responded "yeah, you have a belly full of gas", and they must have put me out again because that is all I remember.

Old 08-26-2018, 11:20 AM

2,067 posts, read 1,068,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
So should I be nude for my next root canal???
No but I certainly wouldn't mind my doctor examining me shirtless.

Old 08-26-2018, 11:33 AM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times
I had a liver biopsy twice with only a local, which I think is insane.

I guess for some it doesn't hurt, I have a bad reaction both times... meaning requiring multiple doses of morphine and some percocet for good measure.

If I had to do that again, I would literally sit down and cry.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-26-2018, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
To clarify - not sure how it's done in every hospital in the US, but around here, it's not "general anesthesia" in the sense of that deep sort of anesthesia for colonoscopies. It's a super light "dose." In fact, it's very very common for the patient to actually wake up during the procedure, talk, etc. My husband did that by the way. It was described to us as a sort of anesthesia that is inhaled, not injected, and you're literally one deep breath away from being awake and many do wake up,

There are many types of "general anesthesia" and this is the very lightest, lowest risk form - and get this, it's actually optional around here, but since insurance generally covers it, it's super low risk, and it's so easy to wake up from with no ill effects, that's how most folks just do it.

After my colonoscopy, which was around 8 am, we went out to eat breakfast. I felt great. We were home and I was out working in the yard by noon.

As I understand it (at least in our neck of the woods), it's considered "conscious sedation" (with the patient "comfortable", maybe sleeping, but arousable), or deep sedation, and they use a short-acting anesthetic (quite often propofol) and a pain reliever (often fentanyl) for both but perhaps more of this is given to a patient getting the "deep sedation". The deep sedation requires an anesthetist to monitor the patient's vital signs and ECG during the procedure, according to sources I've read, but they also recommend this monitoring for the conscious sedation as well.

I've had several endoscopies done recently, including a colonoscopy and upper endoscopy and a repeat upper endoscopy three months later, and what I can remember is getting the anesthesia (propofol, anyway) via IV. If there was anything via mask I don't remember it, but I'd think a mask would interfere with an upper endoscopy. I don't know whether or not I got conscious sedation or deep sedation (or somewhere in between), but I snoozed blissfully during the events, and woke up when they were finished thinking I had been sleeping at home. I was completely awake and raring to go with no residual drowsiness right afterwords, and we also went out for breakfast, and did a little shopping on the way home.

They do require that all their patients have a designated driver, instruct patients not to drive the same day, and suggest they don't make any important decisions that day, and have a responsible adult with them on the day of their procedure. I think that's just CYA instructions on their part.

Old 08-26-2018, 11:39 AM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Travelassie, my understanding is the same, it is NOT general anesthesia, it's the one you listed and it causes you to forget anything you were aware of at the time (I think it is a date rape drug for that reason).

And IIRC, there are lower colonoscopies and all the way in, so that determines what meds you get too.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-26-2018, 11:45 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Quote:
"Require"?

None, unless the doctor is anticipating a difficult procedure; otherwise it is for the patient's comfort

I have had them done in the U.S. where they just stuck the tube up your butt and pumped in air to help get the tube around tight spaces (very uncomfortable)....and zip anesthetic. Later one - or two - was done with a mild inhaled anesthesia, and with an injected complete anesthesia in the last twenty years in Europe.

In the past six or eight years I have been given a choice, but the physician also tells me what he prefers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness