Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2018, 12:19 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,743,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Yes, that's what people keep saying, and I understand it. But I am still curious why in a group of people who may be equally exposed to a virus that none of them are immune to, some get it and others don't.

I think this is interesting. Studies have been done concerning one’s vitamin D levels and their susceptibility to respiratory infections. Low levels were associated with higher susceptibility and higher levels with less.

https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/sto...-cold-and-flu/

Old 09-09-2018, 12:53 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I think this is interesting. Studies have been done concerning one’s vitamin D levels and their susceptibility to respiratory infections. Low levels were associated with higher susceptibility and higher levels with less.

https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/sto...-cold-and-flu/
Not exactly.

"The investigators found that daily or weekly supplementation had the greatest benefit for individuals with the most significant vitamin D deficiency (blood levels below 10 mg/dl) — cutting their risk of respiratory infection in half — and that all participants experienced some beneficial effects from regular vitamin D supplementation."

In fact, the headline says: "Daily or weekly dose had greatest benefit for those with significant deficiency"

Old 09-09-2018, 02:24 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,129,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Using antibacterial wipes is smart, but that is not 'boosting' your immunity.
I’m in agreement with what others have said here, a healthy person is much more likely to fight off bugs than someone who is stressed, bad diet, not enough sleep. I used to catch everything twice until I really started taking care and adding in vitamins and herbs to more rest, good diet and antibacterial wipes! It made a noticeable difference in how my body fought off germs.

If I’m even feeling the least bit rundown, a good night sleep, supplements for the immune system like oregano, and lots of juice, etc, really helps.

Old 09-09-2018, 03:42 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,819,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
I’m in agreement with what others have said here, a healthy person is much more likely to fight off bugs than someone who is stressed, bad diet, not enough sleep. I used to catch everything twice until I really started taking care and adding in vitamins and herbs to more rest, good diet and antibacterial wipes! It made a noticeable difference in how my body fought off germs.

If I’m even feeling the least bit rundown, a good night sleep, supplements for the immune system like oregano, and lots of juice, etc, really helps.
You can maybe fight off minor bugs with good health.

I am a person in I consider great health. I eat right and exercise and I can go for long periods of time without getting sick. That said, I worked as a teachers aide at an elementary school a few years ago. I got sick a lot. Little germy hands all over everything. I did recover out of a cold very quickly and I do attribute that to my taking care of myself.
But a healthy body can only do so much and it will not fight off a flu bug. You may get better sooner, but influenza will knock you down.

Old 09-09-2018, 06:52 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
INFRACTIONS have been issued to those who chose to turn this thread into a vaccine debate. That is NOT what the OP was asking so it's off topic. AND vaccine debates are forbidden in this forum. You already know that.

For future reference to those who want to learn from this experience, here is the original post and it has nothing to do with vaccines:

The story started on the last weekend. I felt a throat ache and feeling bad sleeping more hours than usual even sleeping in afternoon. I went to work on monday but yesterday thursday I was heavily congested at work but did my schedule. At night, I was ready to go bed while suddenly I felt really cold, I was shivering and couldnt move at bed. I thought I was able to work and went there, I had a jacket while everybody was with short t-shirts. My superior told me please to leave, I left at 12.30 in the morning, took a taxi to go home and since then I am at bed, It seems that I had been sleeping. I am now writing from my bed. Now is weekend. How can I cure this?

Old 09-09-2018, 07:00 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
If anyone else has ideas about how to help this person with their illness, please feel free to post. The person is ALREADY SICK so a vaccine will do no good. AND again, VACCINE arguments are forbidden on this forum in the first place. NOT ALLOWED. Too much arguing--take it to Politics&Other Controversies.

Old 09-10-2018, 01:10 PM

853 posts, read 648,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
How are you feeling, op?
Thank you very much for asking!. I am sorry I can't be longer in my computer. I slept too much this weekend, especially after coming home from office the last friday. I had fever in thursday and friday, I don't have fever at this moment but I am still congested, with mouth sores (usually appears when I am in this situation). Today I went to work, but I left as soon as possible just to get at home and rest at bed. You can call this a cold, I don't know, but I have the same symptoms at least once a year. Now I know that I couldn't stand at office on friday, luckily they allowed me to leave, but I am using my free time to rest at bed. I am starting to feel better, but being congested is uncomfortable.

Old 09-10-2018, 01:21 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
It look as if it might me an early flu season: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/06/pass...e-the-flu.html. There have been two flights that had passengers quarantined for 'flu like' symptoms.
According to our grand daughter who is a nurse practitioner no, it isn't the flu but a virus of some sort and it is lasting about a week. She is seeing cases of it daily and 2 or her little girls had it. She also told me, when i talked to her last night not to get a flu shot until about the first of Oct as they last just about exactly one year. If we are having an early outbreak now a shot will not help and is we get the shot now, we won't be protected next year if we do have an early outbreak then. She says they always recommend getting your shot from about Oct 1st to 15th.

Old 09-10-2018, 01:52 PM

853 posts, read 648,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Tell that to his employer! If he just started his job -- he said he just began a month ago -- he's probably on probation, which can be 30--90 days. Many employers will fire you if you miss a day during that probation period for ANY reason, including verified illness, jury duty, sick family member, etc etc, Also, many jobs don't offer sick day pay, regardless of the reason, how long you've worked there, etc.
Yes, this is actually a real problem in Spain. The reason given is more or less that with the high unemployment numbers, there is always someone willing to do anything to work. Fortunately my superior is a nice person, is a guy that started with an academical background that had nothing to do with the business (nothing at all). He has a family, he always explain me whatever I need to understand, even he leave his work to help me and when I told him I was not feeling ok, through skype because he was in a meeting, he replied me and once the meeting was over told me to please leave if I was not feeling ok, that there won't be consequences, that I can finish my duties the next week. I know is the type of boss that if you do your best, he helps you to stand, I can say that I have never found a superior like my current boss, I feel confident to ask whatever I don't understand, even if I say I mess something, he helps me. On the other hand, other coworkers and superiors are not as good as him, but fortunately, I depend on this guy.

Old 09-10-2018, 05:26 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,988,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
You know there is something to be said for hot tea , lemon , whiskey and honey and drink it while it is hot and drink all of it and then wrap yourself up in a quilt and you will sweat and then when you wake up you might just feel better . My grandmother used this to cure all us kids when we were little and caught either the flu or one heck of a head cold . Good luck and God bless and hope you get well soon .
I suggest Fireball Whiskey for that cinnamon flavor. Will clear your sinuses for sure.

For real though I have put Fireball in tea when sick once or twice. Just a little.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness