Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 07:21 PM

271 posts, read 83,363 times

Advertisements

I use Noxema face wash and Clean and Clear moisturizing acne treatment because my skin is SO dry anything else gets my face all flaky and icky! But I know a ton of people ( okay maybe I'm exagerating a bit- bit like 20 or so) that use Proactive and they all love it and swear by it. I've thought about using it myself but I'm so scared of the whole dry skin thing. (Maybe someonen could tell me about that?) But if your having the issue, I would definately say try Proactive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2007, 08:10 PM

111 posts, read 485,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poprocksncoke View Post
I was just wondering if anyone could recomend products to clear up skin. My face recently started breaking out, I suppose maybe from stress, maybe also from changing as I get older.
I have tried Mary Kay products, but they seem to be a little heavy for my skin, clogging up my pores more. I have tried Clean and Clear acne spot treatment, and that works, but you put it on when you already have a spot on your face, I don't want to wait until I already have one!

I change my pillow case every other day too to keep it from coming.. but apparently, my face doesn't care about that nice gesture either.

Any ideas?
The best thing for you would be Desert Essence Thoroughly Clean Face Wash. Best of all, it is 100% natural! The stuff works wonders on facial skin, clearing up Acne. You can find this stuff online (google it), or Whole Foods and other stores sell it.

http://www.desertessence.com/pages/skincare.html (broken link)

Synthetic garbage chemicals are best avoided, they do nothing but damage skin and cause cancer. If you want to be shocked at the nasty stuff in traditional personal care products, take a look and you'll never use them again;

http://www.alkalizeforhealth.net/Ltoxiccosmetics.htm

Old 02-12-2007, 12:45 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,265,595 times
It's not fair - I'm 52. Isn't it time I quit getting zits? I've been using Proactive for almost 2 years now and it helps, but I still get them. I just don't know what to do. I feel like an idiot getting red spots on my face. They don't go well with the grey hair! The good part about having oily skin? Very few wrinkles. Most people don't believe me when I tell them my age.

Old 02-12-2007, 07:19 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,215,139 times
I use Dermalogica products. Even though they are geared to younger skin, they work for me. You might give them a try. I have very oily skin and didn't realize that by removing the oil, it makes the body kick into gear and actually produce more oil.

Dermalogica has a great foaming cleanser that doesn't leave your face feeling tight. I get it at dermstore.com, although many of the higher end day spas carry it. It's a little pricy, but you use such a small amount that it lasts a very long time. Then you will want to apply a moisturizer- I know it sounds counter to what you are trying to accomplish, but a light moisturizer will balance out your skin. Dermalogica has one for oily skin, as well. I like these products because I just feel clean after using them, not too dry and not greasy.

Queen Latifah swears by Cetafil with baking soda.

I guess you can tell by now, the thing to do is try something for a bit and if it doesn't work for you, then try another.

Old 02-12-2007, 10:15 PM

111 posts, read 485,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow View Post
It's not fair - I'm 52. Isn't it time I quit getting zits? I've been using Proactive for almost 2 years now and it helps, but I still get them. I just don't know what to do. I feel like an idiot getting red spots on my face. They don't go well with the grey hair! The good part about having oily skin? Very few wrinkles. Most people don't believe me when I tell them my age.
Oil isn't bad, clogged pores are. What type of soap do you use? Use *NOTHING* with animal fats in them, they clog pores, strip away natural oils, and leave you with a nasty animal fat oil instead. Always - always - use Vegan Based oil products. Castile Soap is wonderful, Dr. Bronners is fantastic soap, great for the face as well. It cleans, doesn't strip out your good oils, and keeps your pores open. Soap you find in normal stores is terrible stuff, it actually causes Acne!

Cetaphil is garbage, every single ingredient in it causes cancer, even their unfiltered chlorinated water they use. Anyone using Cetaphil has NO CLUE about what is good for the skin, much less has any business recommending that trash to people.

Cetaphil Ingredients: Water, Cetyl Alcohol, Propylene Glycol, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Stearyl Alcohol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Butylparaben.

1.8, Moderate Risk Product - Heavy Carcinogens. http://www.ewg.org/reports/skindeep2...&id=1000016994

Old 02-13-2007, 01:54 PM

Thanks for the tips. I actually do use a moisturizer, which helps keep the wrinkles away.

Old 02-16-2007, 06:49 PM

489 posts, read 2,015,468 times
ProActiv really truly works. Get the three-step program, and use it exactly as the directions state. After going to the dermatologist and tolerating very painful cortisone injections in my face to slow down the breakouts and redness and three cycles of Tetracycline together with Clindamycin ointment applied directly to the breakout areas (not to mention the COST of it all), a co-worker gave me her regular shipment of ProActiv, and I noticed a HUGE difference in just two days of use. Yes, I know . . . I sound like a commercial, but it REALLY DOES work! Good luck, and don't be afraid of the last step of each treatment - the ointment. It isn't gooey or greasy. It works. You'll love it.

Old 02-17-2007, 01:19 PM

I do use ProActive. It helps a bit - got rid of small bumps, but I still break out.

Old 02-17-2007, 02:57 PM

389 posts, read 3,539,193 times
I have also been using proactive for years...I swear by it, but I don't use the whole system because I find it way too drying for my skin. I use only the one scrub, and ocassionally the mask. I use it just once a day, and just water the rest of the time. My mom was having skin problems for a while, and she was told be several dermatologists to never put anything more harsh than water on your face! I can't go with just water because my skin still feels greasy, but once a day with the proactive wash is perfect for me.

Old 10-10-2007, 12:47 AM

5 posts, read 26,095 times
I have used proactive for about one year which had made my skin dry. I then switch on to clindagel which has help to treat my acne. I used it once a day. It helps to decrease the number of acne lesions. Clindamycin is an antibiotic which works by stopping the growth of bacteria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness