Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2018, 07:43 PM

26,653 posts, read 28,677,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
In just the past few weeks we had chest pain, seizures, stomach pain, possible pregnancy and who knows what I forgot!

If you seek emergency help, THIS IS NOT THE PLACE FOR YOU TO LOOK!

GO to YOUR DOCTOR OR HOSPITAL! If really bad, CALL 911!!!!!!

There is NOTHING that anyone here can do to help you. Even if we are professionals, we cannot look at a computer screen and wee what the Hell is wrong with you
And there is this:

Announcement: The Content is not intended as a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.

It's right at the beginning of the H&W forum and has been there for years. So it's already been said, people here have said it themselves, that sort of thing is general knowledge anyway, and yes, there will always be a few very foolish people who don't know enough to see a doctor.

I really don't think it's up to the rest of us to keep saying it. Most people have common sense on their side. The people I worry about are the mentally ill who post here about suicide. Those people are not in their right minds and it's a good thing when someone gives them the phone number for Samaritans or some other help group and tells them to get help. I try to close those threads rather than have the person remain there asking for help. PLEASE, when you see a suicidal thread, REPORT it and if you have the contact information for them to get help, post it. When I see the report, I will close the thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2018, 08:08 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,651,220 times
I would guess that in the general population, approximately 40% of people have common sense. The other 60% are up for grabs in terms of what they might do.

Old 09-08-2018, 08:09 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
They are not looking for a diagnosis they want you to tell them they are not crazy

Old 09-08-2018, 08:17 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
And there is this:

Announcement: The Content is not intended as a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.

It's right at the beginning of the H&W forum and has been there for years. So it's already been said, people here have said it themselves, that sort of thing is general knowledge anyway, and yes, there will always be a few very foolish people who don't know enough to see a doctor.

I really don't think it's up to the rest of us to keep saying it. Most people have common sense on their side. The people I worry about are the mentally ill who post here about suicide. Those people are not in their right minds and it's a good thing when someone gives them the phone number for Samaritans or some other help group and tells them to get help. I try to close those threads rather than have the person remain there asking for help. PLEASE, when you see a suicidal thread, REPORT it and if you have the contact information for them to get help, post it. When I see the report, I will close the thread.
I do think it's up to the rest of us to say something, if we feel a person really needs prompt medical attention. After all, they are asking for help. Maybe posters should be discouraged from "keyboard diagnosis", e.g. "I think you have XYZ; take medication ABC", etc.

I agree that suicide should not be handled on this board. I agree with your approach.

Old 09-08-2018, 08:21 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,491,775 times
I think the reason we see so many people on here is due to the increasingly sorry state of the American Health Care system.

Drugs aren't a few dollars and change at the pharmacy, hospitals bills are more involved than paying the $10 for the TV rental and phone while you were there, and Marcus Welby M.D. isn't going to show up on your doorstep after dinner, to offer sage medical advice over a piece of pie and coffee!!! The world has changed and for a great many people, not for the better.

Medical advances have saved many lives, but for what can save your arm and leg, now costs an arm and a leg ...and house ...and life savings ...and sanity, in some cases!

People come on here with the hope that others have gone through a similar experience and have cogent answers and perhaps know of a cure for their problem which might save them from some financial peril. I truly feel for these people, but as our moderator has opined ( thank you in_newengland for your prescient post!) your best advice is to steer them to a medical professional, who can rightfully help them. That goes double in the case of medical problems involving a child or aged relative!

Old 09-08-2018, 08:28 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,977,890 times
I think that some people won't see a doctor readily, and they go through a lengthy "should-I-see-a-doctor-or-not" decision-making routine before they make an appointment, and part of that routine is asking other people (here at C-D for instance) for their opinions.

So, first, they wait to see if the symptoms disappear on their own, then they ask others here what they think, then they mull it over, and then they make a decision to go or not to go.

It's a process, and our opinions are part of the process.

Old 09-08-2018, 08:36 PM

17,574 posts, read 13,350,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
This is a point where many start and then seek help if things get worse, etc. Many times this has happened and the posters disappeared. Reasons people come here first can be many, biggest for many is lack of funds and insurance. Not everyone is loaded with means to run to this and that doctor for whatever issues. And I would guess if really serious they would seek out 911 and go from there but again lack of funds is major in the health area.

Just looking at the thread from the chest pain person and no closing report. Hope the OP is OK.
And not dead

Old 09-08-2018, 08:39 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,491,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
I think that some people won't see a doctor readily, and they go through a lengthy "should-I-see-a-doctor-or-not" decision-making routine before they make an appointment, and part of that routine is asking other people (here at C-D for instance) for their opinions.

So, first, they wait to see if the symptoms disappear on their own, then they ask others here what they think, then they mull it over, and then they make a decision to go or not to go.

It's a process, and our opinions are part of the process.
A good point oldgardener! But sometimes waiting for symptoms to go away or receiving advice to do just that, could turn out to be a very big mistake. The Dead have no medical problems and I wouldn't want to steer any living being in that direction!

Old 09-09-2018, 12:09 AM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
We forget....this forum is always "available" or on call 24/7. It's also read by who knows how many people spread across the continent. Regardless whether there ends up being help here or not, the forum is active during those hours when some OP finally decides they have to ask someone, anyone about a nagging health problem. They may be afraid to ask anyone else in person. They want a fix NOW, not in a week, not tomorrow. People often hope they can get information for free before handing their hard-earned $$ to someone who tells them the same or better.

Too bad they are more likely to get a real solution or at least hope for one if they do go to a professional and not a quack who will tell them what they desperately want to hear; that the fix will be cheap, simple, non-invasive, sitting on the shelves of the local grocery store or pharmacy, with no side effects. Same sort of thing web and real world snake oil vendors count on.

Last edited by Parnassia; 09-09-2018 at 12:18 AM..

Old 09-09-2018, 01:27 AM

1,412 posts, read 1,016,202 times
My most recent ER experience was 3 hours long and the hospital billed my insurance close to $6000. Our cost was $2500. You're darn right we consult the internet before running off to the doctor's office!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness