Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2018, 09:12 PM

680 posts, read 535,748 times

Advertisements

I'm 32 and have lifted weights regularly since I was 14. My joints aren't responding well to weights anymore. My back aches, sometimes my shoulders, other joints. I'm 6'3" 230lbs and have a very physical job that requires bending, pushing/pulling/lifting greater than 100lbs. Feels like I'm at a crossroads. Do I look for another job and quit lifting weights? I've been taking turmeric and stretching, it helped at first. Got better shoes. Ibuprofen helps, but I can't take it everyday obviously. I suspect I have a herniated/bulging disc. There's days and weeks where I don't notice any symptoms at all and other days after I've been more active that I pay for it with aching/stiffness. Back feels tight in the middle. I really don't want this to be the new normal, it makes me sad if it is. I did lift weights 3x a week, now I rarely do.

Currently take b12, vitamin D, turmeric. Occasionally take zinc, melatonin, benadryl, ibuprofen, multi vitamin. Been eating mostly plant based past 13 months.

Last edited by Matthew_MI; 09-15-2018 at 09:56 PM..

Old 09-15-2018, 11:27 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,769,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew_MI View Post
I'm 32 and have lifted weights regularly since I was 14. My joints aren't responding well to weights anymore. My back aches, sometimes my shoulders, other joints. I'm 6'3" 230lbs and have a very physical job that requires bending, pushing/pulling/lifting greater than 100lbs. Feels like I'm at a crossroads. Do I look for another job and quit lifting weights? I've been taking turmeric and stretching, it helped at first. Got better shoes. Ibuprofen helps, but I can't take it everyday obviously. I suspect I have a herniated/bulging disc. There's days and weeks where I don't notice any symptoms at all and other days after I've been more active that I pay for it with aching/stiffness. Back feels tight in the middle. I really don't want this to be the new normal, it makes me sad if it is. I did lift weights 3x a week, now I rarely do.

Currently take b12, vitamin D, turmeric. Occasionally take zinc, melatonin, benadryl, ibuprofen, multi vitamin. Been eating mostly plant based past 13 months.
We need to exercise and keep the body in good condition but many are abusing the body. You are very young and need the body to work for you for many more years. So, yes, cut way back on the heavy duty work you've been doing. A male friend knows that the joint replacements he's gone thru is from the years of heavy workouts and weights. I worked out a major portion of my life but nothing like the males with the weights etc. I live with a body full of arthritis and a mess from a hip replacement and I'm 80.

Old 09-16-2018, 08:13 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,586,772 times
Have you seen your pcp yet? I’d start there. You can also try an anti inflammatory diet which may give you decent results in the meantime. Does ibuprofen help at all? There are stronger nsaids things they can give you among other options.

Old 09-16-2018, 08:44 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,683,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
We need to exercise and keep the body in good condition but many are abusing the body. You are very young and need the body to work for you for many more years. So, yes, cut way back on the heavy duty work you've been doing. A male friend knows that the joint replacements he's gone thru is from the years of heavy workouts and weights. I worked out a major portion of my life but nothing like the males with the weights etc. I live with a body full of arthritis and a mess from a hip replacement and I'm 80.
? No need to tell the OP to cut back without first having him go to his PCP and seeing if there is anything wrong with him first. It may be that he has a herniated disc, but it may be that there is some issue that could be solved more easily by physical therapy or posture adjustments. If he is lifting improperly, that may also be causing a lot of the aches and pains. Maybe he doesn’t have enough core strength and is focusing too much on other areas. We just don’t know from this post. He isn’t going to know that unless he goes to the doctor and has them do some imaging first.

Old 09-16-2018, 09:16 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,824,977 times
No need to post on multiple forums. I just read your thread on the exercise board. You should see a doctor, preferably an orthopedist. You also need to stop lifting for now. Get diagnosed and then go from there.

Old 09-16-2018, 09:32 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,703,315 times
Duplicate thread
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.