Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 09:22 PM

909 posts, read 545,122 times

Advertisements

They have sixty days or stop selling flavored products.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/12/h...igarettes.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2018, 11:30 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
My friend bought the vaping kit and said it caused so much throat irritation that she can't use it, $55 down the drain. Offered for me to try it for pain and no way.

It's all over our news about the kids getting addicted to all this "c**p".... Oh the quick profiteers out there.

Old 09-16-2018, 07:59 PM

21,873 posts, read 25,139,139 times
Well, problem is nicotine salt liquids are readily available for 1/8th the cost of Juul pods and Juul pods are easily refillable. Two years ago when they weren't (something like a Juul does not work at all with normal 3-6 mg nicotine liquids but quite well with the 35 50 mg nicotine salt liquids), it might have. Too late for that though. It will hurt Juul's bottom line, but they'll simply go buy eliquid. The same shops that are selling to teenagers will continue to sell to teenagers. They'll just sell them nicotine salt liquids and teach them how to refill if they can't already figure that out from 5,000 videos on YouTube.

An actual effective method would be either enforcement or an outright ban of all ecigarretes. Outright ban is fairly stupid as it's hard to imagine ecigarettes are nearly as bad as regular cigarettes. Enforcement would be the better option but that's not a quick and easy fix. Of course, neither is not letting Juul sell non-tobacco flavored pods as, again, refillable at 1/8th the cost and there's a half dozen other brands making knock-off Juul devices even if they outright ban Juul entirely.

Really, I think the FDA is smart enough to realize they won't accomplish anything. What it does, however, is gets people talking about it and hopefully parents will talk with their kids and maybe a few of them will listen. Probably not that many as teenagers rarely do but some might.

Old 09-20-2018, 09:28 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,634,657 times
It’s just more of the usual idiocy from the same idiots. Notice what the article keeps repeating, which is addiction to nicotine. It would be useful since 99% of Americans don’t actually understand nicotine to explain, for the reader, what’s the problem?!? I wouldn’t ever stop using nicotine, which is a miracle drug with no harmful effects on healthy people who aren’t pregnant. It increases pain tolerance, decreases appetite, has been proven to increase athletic performance, reduces chance of neurological disorders, increases concentration, and has no negative effects despite being studied for decades and well understood. It can temporarily cause thinning of blood vessels which again in healthy people doesn’t make any difference at all.

So who cares if you’re addicted to nicotine?! I’m just fine being addicted to ANY substance that has proven health benefits and nicotine - despite the bad name cigarettes gave it - is a miracle drug. It’s also not very addictive, either. It’s about a 6 on the 1-10 scale when it’s not paired with countless chemical additives in cigarettes. In e-cigarette form it’s much less addictive.

I quit smoking 7 years ago thanks to e-cigarettes and they are effective, but I have no desire to quit e-cigarettes because any real research conducted has proven no harm at all. I can’t believe these idiotic studies that try to suggest otherwise using horrible research methods like “well inhaling e-cigarettes for 2 hours in a row caused damage to the fake breathing apparatus we used.” Who in the god’s name smokes an e-cigarette for two hours straight without stopping?! The device stops in 10 seconds and most users take quick puffs!

The best researched studies showed that you get more harmful particles in the air you breathe in any American city than you ever could from e-cigarettes. One said an entire year smoking e-cigarettes was the equivalent to just a handful of actual cigarettes, which in case you’re not aware nobody gets cancer from a cigarette or two now and then. Cancer is usually measured by pack years smoking, like 40-60 pack years means one pack a day for a year is one pack year. Even doctors know this but they’re not going to go around telling people, “Eh, smoke a cigarette now and then, who cares?” Because that’s a bad idea since some people will get addicted and cigarettes are bad for you.

Products like Blu, which last I heard dominates the market so I don’t know what this article is talking about as I’ve never even heard of Juul while Blu is sold everywhere, has its liquids made in an FDA certified facility in the US. The ingredients are known by decades of research like propylene glycol for instance. What they don’t tell you in these simply wrong studies that say “oh we found X chemical” is that the chemical they found is more heavily present in things you already consumed or the air you breathe. It’s all a lot of nonsense and biased research when the reality is e-cigarettes are water vapor, they don’t hurt anyone, user or anyone else. Especially not the top brands with flavors made in the USA.

Old 10-12-2018, 07:10 PM

82 posts, read 70,245 times
I think that the FDA really needs to crack down on Juuls. I know so many of my daughters friends that have bought a Juul and use them when they did not smoke in the first place. The Juul has some really negative health effects and I cannot believe that they are allowing these children to have them.

Old 08-05-2019, 06:39 AM

26,726 posts, read 26,806,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Notice what the article keeps repeating, which is addiction to nicotine. It would be useful since 99% of Americans don’t actually understand nicotine to explain, for the reader, what’s the problem?!? I wouldn’t ever stop using nicotine, which is a miracle drug with no harmful effects on healthy people who aren’t pregnant.
You have GOT to be kidding.

https://www.healthline.com/health/ni...orders#effects

https://e-cigarettes.surgeongeneral....wtherisks.html

https://tobaccofreeca.com/topics/hea...SAAEgKCUvD_BwE

Old 08-06-2019, 10:28 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,635,320 times
A small gas station/mini market near where I live sell Juul and Vuse Alto and a few others. For a while, they carried a number of different weird flavors, but they didn't sell very well so they discontinued with those flavors. Vuse Alto also had different flavors available, but like Juul, they just didn't sell well enough to continue stocking it. So all they carry now is what they call Original (a tobacco flavor), Rich Tobacco, and Menthol. I suppose there are shops around that do carry the fruity flavors, and flavors like Bubblegum though. Most adults around my area don't want to smoke fruit. They want a close flavor approximation to tobacco as a replacement for cigarettes which they are trying to kick the habit of.

Old 08-06-2019, 11:17 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,099,317 times
I switched in 2014, at my doctor's recommendation. My blood pressure came down (actually wasn't too high, to begin with) & I lost that smokers cough. No smell, no secondhand smoke. Not sure about the cost, though. I've gone down in milligrams of nicotine but got tired of playing around with pieces & parts & juice ... so I do the disposables now & I think that's pricier.

If there is something terrible in there, well; I guess I have to pick my battles but for now, I'll stay on the side of improved health.

Old 08-07-2019, 06:52 AM

81 posts, read 43,850 times
The FDA needs to ban the sell of all JUUL products. They serve no other purpose than to get a new generation of youngsters addicted to nicotine. They market it as a "flavorful" vapor , but I've smelled it and it's anything but flavorful.

Old 08-07-2019, 12:58 PM

680 posts, read 534,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
It’s just more of the usual idiocy from the same idiots. Notice what the article keeps repeating, which is addiction to nicotine. It would be useful since 99% of Americans don’t actually understand nicotine to explain, for the reader, what’s the problem?!? I wouldn’t ever stop using nicotine, which is a miracle drug with no harmful effects on healthy people who aren’t pregnant. It increases pain tolerance, decreases appetite, has been proven to increase athletic performance, reduces chance of neurological disorders, increases concentration, and has no negative effects despite being studied for decades and well understood. It can temporarily cause thinning of blood vessels which again in healthy people doesn’t make any difference at all.

So who cares if you’re addicted to nicotine?! I’m just fine being addicted to ANY substance that has proven health benefits and nicotine - despite the bad name cigarettes gave it - is a miracle drug. It’s also not very addictive, either. It’s about a 6 on the 1-10 scale when it’s not paired with countless chemical additives in cigarettes. In e-cigarette form it’s much less addictive.

I quit smoking 7 years ago thanks to e-cigarettes and they are effective, but I have no desire to quit e-cigarettes because any real research conducted has proven no harm at all. I can’t believe these idiotic studies that try to suggest otherwise using horrible research methods like “well inhaling e-cigarettes for 2 hours in a row caused damage to the fake breathing apparatus we used.” Who in the god’s name smokes an e-cigarette for two hours straight without stopping?! The device stops in 10 seconds and most users take quick puffs!

The best researched studies showed that you get more harmful particles in the air you breathe in any American city than you ever could from e-cigarettes. One said an entire year smoking e-cigarettes was the equivalent to just a handful of actual cigarettes, which in case you’re not aware nobody gets cancer from a cigarette or two now and then. Cancer is usually measured by pack years smoking, like 40-60 pack years means one pack a day for a year is one pack year. Even doctors know this but they’re not going to go around telling people, “Eh, smoke a cigarette now and then, who cares?” Because that’s a bad idea since some people will get addicted and cigarettes are bad for you.

Products like Blu, which last I heard dominates the market so I don’t know what this article is talking about as I’ve never even heard of Juul while Blu is sold everywhere, has its liquids made in an FDA certified facility in the US. The ingredients are known by decades of research like propylene glycol for instance. What they don’t tell you in these simply wrong studies that say “oh we found X chemical” is that the chemical they found is more heavily present in things you already consumed or the air you breathe. It’s all a lot of nonsense and biased research when the reality is e-cigarettes are water vapor, they don’t hurt anyone, user or anyone else. Especially not the top brands with flavors made in the USA.
I hope this is a joke. Nicotine has devastating impact on the heart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness