Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 09:56 AM

28,883 posts, read 30,181,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Delahanty

Handicapped stalls are not reserved for the handicapped in the sense that some think that they are. If someone goes into a restroom and finds all stalls in use without a handicapped person in sight, they can use it. It's not meant to be an empty stall, waiting for a handicapped person to appear. And yes, as one poster noted, though they accommodate wheelchairs, there are other disabilities for which these stalls can be used.
I believe I made that perfectly clear in my first post. Yes, your right, the stalls are sometimes full and the handicapped is the only one available, then by all means, use it....

What I am saying is, if the other stalls are not being used, when you walk in, then please use them, first...but if they are full, then use the handicapped stalls. Simple....

Quote:
Sometimes even the elderly with range of motion issues or other non-visible afflictions may need the extra space afforded by the handicapped stalls. I once saw a woman accompany a shuffling, quite elderly woman (her mom, probably) into one.
Of course.....

Quote:
The etiquette is effortless enough, or should be: If you have to "go" so badly that you enter a restroom in the first place, use one of the regular stalls. If they're all in use, and there's no one behind you, use the handicapped stall, and get the heck out of there. If there are people behind you who don't appear to be handicapped, just ask if anyone needs the handicapped stall before using it yourself. Of course, should one of the regular ones become available, use that.

Few things in life are this simple.

and that is exactly what we presented to others at work, in hopes the company would circulate a gentle reminder to others about this...I really don't believe people do this on purpose, they simply forget...and go for the handicapped stall....

We've discussed this many times, at work in mixed company, and for some disabled people, it is a big problem...so, that's why I started this thread, as a gentle reminder, to be a tad more aware if you can...and if you don't wish to fine, that's your choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2018, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
So let's say someone uses the handicap stall for ANY reason, what is the inconvenience? A 3 minute wait?
Honey, let me tell you, when you grow older, you'll understand, some older people have IBS, and they can't hold it...they simply can't. Others like the poster, above me explained....

I think we become so busy with our lives, we forget to be thoughtful sometimes.

I had back surgery, and had to use a walker at work...now you know you can't get into those smaller stalls with a walker....and I'd wait, and when someone would walk out of the handicapped stall and see me, they'd be so embarrassed they were using it, so I tried to let them know, "no worries", but I bet they thought about it next time.

I know woman who have had knee replacements, men using crutches at work...who absolutely cannot use the shorter toilets..it's so painful.

people have all kinds of medical disabilities that you don't even realize...so...

Keep in mind, a person could have a handicap that you don't realize, or see....so..all I'm asking is that people become more Cognizant of that...that's all...

Old 09-21-2018, 10:05 AM

48,436 posts, read 34,627,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Honey, let me tell you, when you grow older, you'll understand, some older people have IBS, and they can't hold it...they simply can't. Others like the poster, above me explained....

I had back surgery, and had to use a walker at work...now you know you can't get into those smaller stalls with a walker....and I'd wait, and when someone would walk out of the handicapped stall and see me, they'd be so embarrassed they were using it, so I tried to let them know, "no worries", but I bet they thought about it next time.

I know woman who have had knee replacements, men using crutches at work...who absolutely cannot use the shorter toilets..it's so painful.

Keep in mind, a person could have a handicap that you don't realize, or see....so..all I'm asking is that people become more Cognizant of that...that's all...

Yes, some people can forget to be thoughtful.

For example, you can have IBS and not be handicapped, like me.

And yes, someone can be handicapped and not look it..... like me.

When first diagnosed with RA and FM I could hardly walk, and I mean that literally, and I was offered handicapped sticker for parking and all that, but didn't take (not noble, just didn't want to admit defeat ). I looked great though.

So you may want to rethink your pre-conceived notions.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-21-2018, 10:12 AM

5,405 posts, read 3,438,560 times
Quote:
Honey, let me tell you, when you grow older, you'll understand, some older people have IBS, and they can't hold it...they simply can't.
Someone might have that that is not in a wheelchair, so if the handicap stall is the only one open, should they wait?

FWIW, I only use the handicap stall if it's the only one available at the moment.

Old 09-21-2018, 10:17 AM

Quote:
SanyBelle

FWIW, I only use the handicap stall if it's the only one available at the moment.
No SanyBelle, of course they shouldn't wait...
I'm not trying to be funny or smart mouthed or offensive, am I somehow not being clear?

IBS is not a funny matter...and people who have it cannot wait...and until someone experiences, that and Crone disease, or Ulcerative colitis, is what I'm speaking of.

Thank you SanyBelle, for being aware of that....

When I was younger, say 20 years ago, I wasn't aware of it, and yet, would have felt so bad, if I had known someone had an accident b/c I was using that stall....

honestly, they should put higher toilets in bathrooms and come out of the dark ages...seriously...and a lot of people agree with me....it's time....companies, public rest rooms....it's time to update...

Old 09-21-2018, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Yes, some people can forget to be thoughtful.

For example, you can have IBS and not be handicapped, like me.

And yes, someone can be handicapped and not look it..... like me.

When first diagnosed with RA and FM I could hardly walk, and I mean that literally, and I was offered handicapped sticker for parking and all that, but didn't take (not noble, just didn't want to admit defeat ). I looked great though.

I'm sorry but know your not alone....and I'm so glad your able to talk about it, it needs to be discussed, and considered. Thank you, and hugs.

So you may want to rethink your pre-conceived notions.
I'm suffering the same, now contemplate someone in a wheel chair, who has a bag, like my step-dad did, who can't wait...it's sad, and I really think personally more companies and public owners should be aware of that.
Do you know some diners only have one toilet for the whole restaurant for men and woman. I mean, how do they get away with that?

When people are in their youth, honestly I don't believe they think about handicaps such as we're discussing, but it really does need to be discussed.

We had a woman a work, had IBS, and she couldn't wait, someone was using the handicapped toilet...she had an accident...she retired, never came back to work she was so embarrassed. Poor woman.....

Me, I've got joint problems, it's difficult to walk, sit, stand up...and it is so painful to use the lower toilets...
so, thought I'd start this thread to bring more awareness to the public...it needs to be for so many people that you are not aware of, who have problems.

Thank you....

Last edited by cremebrulee; 09-21-2018 at 10:56 AM..

Old 09-21-2018, 10:28 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,399,744 times
Quote:

people have all kinds of medical disabilities that you don't even realize...so...

IBS does not only affect the elderly.

Old 09-21-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
IBS does not only affect the elderly.
I know that Maciesmom, I do

Old 09-21-2018, 10:48 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,056,304 times
I was using the restroom in a shopping mall yesterday (that I had not visited in a few years) and was delighted to see that they had remodeled the bathrooms. The women's bathroom now had about ten or twelve regular stalls and two handicapped stalls. I thought that was pretty practical.

The door was open to the "family restroom" (private bathroom) and it was huge. You could easily fit a wheelchair or walker inside. It also had two toilets (not two stalls, but two toilets with a short divider between them). I suspect that would come in handy if you had several small children, all waiting to use the toilet.

Old 09-21-2018, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I was using the restroom in a shopping mall yesterday (that I had not visited in a few years) and was delighted to see that they had remodeled the bathrooms. The women's bathroom now had about ten or twelve regular stalls and two handicapped stalls. I thought that was pretty practical.

The door was open to the "family restroom" (private bathroom) and it was huge. You could easily fit a wheelchair or walker inside. It also had two toilets (not two stalls, but two toilets with a short divider between them). I suspect that would come in handy if you had several small children, all waiting to use the toilet.
Wow, wonderful!!!! I have not seen it yet, but there is hope....lol

I hope our company catches on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness