Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 06:05 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,208,266 times

Advertisements

I drove with one eye for years, not a problem. Loss of depth perception is not relevant in driving environment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2018, 08:54 AM

14,944 posts, read 12,139,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
I drove with one eye for years, not a problem. Loss of depth perception is not relevant in driving environment.
Actually it is. It's much harder to judge the distance and speed of oncoming vehicles when one is turning into an intersection, for instance.

I can tell you that from first hand experience, comparing the significant loss of sight I had in my right eye ( basically all I could see out of that eye was blurry general shapes and muted colors) before the cataract surgery and the sharp 20-20 vision in that eye afterwards.

We live about one mile off a major highway, and to go anywhere that's the route, so we have to turn right or left onto that highway. It gets very busy during snowbird season here, and there is a significant amount of truck traffic most of the time. I had a hard time telling how close oncoming vehicles were, or how fast they were coming, so got to the point where when I had to drive I just crossed my fingers, hoped for the best and made the turn.

Not a great way to drive.

Old 10-03-2018, 09:22 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
There are treatments for macular degeneration which will improve vision substantially, i was going blind in my right eye due to diabetic complications ,i get treated with a drug called Avastin once every 5 weeks for two years now and my eyesite is close to normal. Surprised your eye doctor hasnt suggested this course of action.
Macular degeneration is not all the same as diabetic retinopathy. Diabetic retinopathy takes several forms, (proliferative being less common) and Avastin is not effective for most cases. However, people can drive with one eye if they are careful. But OP needs to work on controlling the diabetes.

Old 10-03-2018, 10:09 AM

4,088 posts, read 2,560,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
My left eye is getting where I cann't see out of it because of diabetic nerve damage. My right eye is good. Driving with one eye might cause problems?
Both my grandfather (lost one eye in a childhood accident back in the 'twenties) and my sister (has only peripheral vision in one eye due to a childhood accident) both drove/drive with one fully functional eye. My grandfather was also a crack shot (lifelong hunter, trap shooter and avid sportsman) *and* managed to singlehandly back his boat into Lake Erie during boating and fishing season for decades, so having only one eye with the resulting lack of depth perception didn't seem to hold him back overmuch.

Old 10-03-2018, 10:10 AM

623 posts, read 311,889 times
As a result of two bouts of central serous maculopathy of the right eye, my central vision in the right eye is simply lacking. There is very little that I can read with my right eye, although my peripheral vision is unaffected. When this first manifested itself, I had to drastically change my habits concerning entering a highway, because my depth perception WAS affected, at least at any distance. Simple caution in accordance with my actual abilities was sufficient. Missing vision in the left eye would probably be more inconvenient, but most likely not insurmountable.

In MA, they were concerned only that I was using all the help an optometrist could provide (nothing additional, in my case) and that I used a right-side mirror. Interestingly, they still tested for peripheral vision, which I did have. Not sure what they would have said if I hadn't.

Old 10-03-2018, 10:18 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I think you should bring it up with your states DMV. In California we have an eye test that requires both eyes. Its an interesting question.

Obviously if this is hindering your driving then its time for you to stop.
I completely agree. My thought is: you need both eyes but the OP needs to check the state laws to start with.

Old 10-03-2018, 12:11 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,131,896 times
Quote:
There are treatments for macular degeneration which will improve vision substantially, i was going blind in my right eye due to diabetic complications ,i get treated with a drug called Avastin once every 5 weeks for two years now and my eyesite is close to normal. Surprised your eye doctor hasnt suggested this course of action.
you might have mentioned that these treatments are injections into the eye! Also diabetic complications might be Macular degeneration, or they might be retinopathy.

interesting side note: years ago in MA my mother had retinopathy she was also legally blind because of it. She went to the DMV to turn in her license and they had her take the eye test. by shifting her eyes about she was able to see past the holes in her vision, they gave her back her license. I called them and ripped them a new one for giving a blind person a license. She then turned it in anyway.

Old 10-03-2018, 12:23 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
you might have mentioned that these treatments are injections into the eye! Also diabetic complications might be Macular degeneration, or they might be retinopathy.

interesting side note: years ago in MA my mother had retinopathy she was also legally blind because of it. She went to the DMV to turn in her license and they had her take the eye test. by shifting her eyes about she was able to see past the holes in her vision, they gave her back her license. I called them and ripped them a new one for giving a blind person a license. She then turned it in anyway.
The cause of macular degeneration is not known. It is not a complication of diabetes.

Old 10-04-2018, 09:40 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,649,676 times
How does an eye drive?

Old 10-05-2018, 06:43 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,587,071 times
Quote:
I take shot in my left eye every month now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness