Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 05:49 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times

Advertisements

I swear by Birkenstocks and I was even able to find slippers that have the same molded cork insole. The doctor has told me I could never wear slippers again. HA!

For regular casual shoes, Keen has enough arch support. Also Ecco and Naot. For our cold winters I wear wool clogs with the most wonderful arch support. I love them. Stegmann clogs--they are so comfortable--pricey--but sometimes you just have no choice.
With my feet, that's about it.

There was some brand called Vionic that was supposed to be good for arches but it "hit" in the wrong place and just hurt. You have to find the shoe that fits you right. You can also use good orthotic inserts that can be switched from shoe to shoe. I had zero luck with the drug store inserts and had to pay more at a good shoe store to get something that really worked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2018, 05:50 PM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
https://www.businessinsider.com/podi...bunions-2017-5

I feel like a lot of my foot problems are a result of wearing crappy, no support flimsy shoes in my youth.
Or maybe very high heels? Or pointy toe shoes that make your toes overlap to fit into them?

Old 10-07-2018, 05:59 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
Podiatrists will probably say you need arch supports. My Old Navy flip flops are flat as a board with no arch, and just the right amount of softness/hardness.

I had to see a foot doctor because of a cracked callous (probably because of that day my feet got soaked and frozen) and I asked her if my feet are ok for my age. She said my feet are great. So, as long as it isn't wet freezing weather, flip flops didn't damage my feet at all. And this is after decades.

I hate shoes, even the ones that are supposedly comfortable. But typical lady's shoes I can't even imagine wearing.
Good for you! Your feet are apparently indestructible...unless you start wearing "lady's" shoes. Ya know, they aren't all 4" spike heels with pointy toes....

Old 10-07-2018, 06:11 PM

8,227 posts, read 3,414,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Good for you! Your feet are apparently indestructible...unless you start wearing "lady's" shoes. Ya know, they aren't all 4" spike heels with pointy toes....
I can't wear ladies shoes, even if I wanted to. They are much too narrow. My toes have not been squashed like most women's have.

Also, most lady's shoes have a raised heel, even if they aren't actually high heels. The heels of shoes should not be raised. That will shorten the achilles tendon.

I didn't say my feet are indestructible. I said that wearing flip flops every day for a long time didn't cause any damage. The flatness probably prevented the damage that so many women my age have.

And most sneakers have too much padding, so your feet can rotate inwards. And then you really need arch supports.

Old 10-07-2018, 06:38 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,730,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Or maybe very high heels? Or pointy toe shoes that make your toes overlap to fit into them?
Yep.

Old 10-07-2018, 06:40 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,730,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
I can't wear ladies shoes, even if I wanted to. They are much too narrow. My toes have not been squashed like most women's have.

Also, most lady's shoes have a raised heel, even if they aren't actually high heels. The heels of shoes should not be raised. That will shorten the achilles tendon.

I didn't say my feet are indestructible. I said that wearing flip flops every day for a long time didn't cause any damage. The flatness probably prevented the damage that so many women my age have.

And most sneakers have too much padding, so your feet can rotate inwards. And then you really need arch supports.
There is a lot of variation among shoes. I can’t wear flip flops or heels. Glad that you don’t have any foot problems but I think you’re reaching in your assumptions that you are somehow doing something right and others who have problems must be doing something wrong.

Old 10-07-2018, 06:49 PM

8,227 posts, read 3,414,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
There is a lot of variation among shoes. I can’t wear flip flops or heels. Glad that you don’t have any foot problems but I think you’re reaching in your assumptions that you are somehow doing something right and others who have problems must be doing something wrong.
Some of them might be doing something wrong. When I was young I wore shoes because everyone did. I didn't notice how uncomfortable they are. I never wore high heels though.

This is what we all did, and it seemed natural because we all did it. I also slept with curlers in my hair every night, and wore panty hose to school every day. Things that now seem ridiculous to me, I did just because everyone did, and never thought about it.

So it is very likely that most women have worn shoes all their lives that weakened their arches, squeezed their toes, and caused their spine to be at least slightly out of alignment.

One time, long ago, I heard a man from India say that Americans damage their feet and knees by wearing sneakers with soft inner soles. He was wearing those flat Indian sandals. I had never heard anyone say anything like that before, but I thought well maybe it's true. Then I found out that it does seem to be true.

Sneakers aren't nearly as bad as lady's shoes though. But they aren't good to wear every day. At least some of the time let your feet be as natural as possible.

Old 10-07-2018, 07:54 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
This is what happened to me. I used to live in flip-flops to the point that my closed shoes no longer fit---toes too spread out. Then I tripped in the dark on uneven ground and dislocated my artificial hip. Pain!

Our medical advisor said she sees this a lot with seniors, tripping in flip-flops, and getting injured. I also caught them on the edge of uneven pavers while playing ping-pong and fell. So reluctantly, I save them for the beach, where I can take them off, or a fall won't be disastrous. And yes, "slippery when wet!"
They totally make sense on the beach - who wants to wear any kind of shoes that get sand in them? I don't wear flip flops for serious walking - errands, etc. I rarely wear them for work because most are just too casual, even with jeans.

I prefer shoes that can "elevate" my appearance - and not by wearing heels - but usually mules/loafers with 1/2" heels or less. No need to wear heels and pointy shoes to look nice for work and no need to wear flip flops as though they are the only way to be comfortable and healthy. There are many good options for women.

Old 10-07-2018, 08:35 PM

9,398 posts, read 11,147,212 times
Flip flops. This is a joke?

Old 10-07-2018, 09:03 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Flip flops. This is a joke?
No. Not at all. Maybe you stumbled across the wrong thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness