Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 06:07 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbseer View Post
66 years old, 5'8" 150 lbs, only major health issue is spinal stenosis with occasional sciatica. MRI says L3 disc herniation affecting L3 and L4 nerve roots.

Pain is the worst getting out of bed in the morning, also walking or standing for more than 10 minutes. Sitting for five minutes eases the pain so I can walk some more before having to rest again.

Had a steroid injection, did nothing. Do stretching exercises they don't help much either.

I can ride my bike 30 miles and feel fine, since leaning forward opens the spinal canal. But I would like to be able to walk without pain for the rest of my life.

Don't want to have surgery... has anyone here had a laminectomy and does that provide permanent relief?
I have kind of the same problem, but I get relief for a year or so at a time from the epidurals. My next step will be looking into surgery.

My husband had the surgery a long time ago (30yrs) and it was very successful. Now, it’s probably improved since then. The incision was 1 1/2” and fixed the problem permanently. You needn’t be afraid of it. Why continue to suffer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2018, 07:18 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
Chiropractic care especially if you can find one who practices Advanced BioStructural Correction (ABC).

Old 10-11-2018, 07:43 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,639,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbseer View Post
66 years old, 5'8" 150 lbs, only major health issue is spinal stenosis with occasional sciatica. MRI says L3 disc herniation affecting L3 and L4 nerve roots.

Pain is the worst getting out of bed in the morning, also walking or standing for more than 10 minutes. Sitting for five minutes eases the pain so I can walk some more before having to rest again.

Had a steroid injection, did nothing. Do stretching exercises they don't help much either.

I can ride my bike 30 miles and feel fine, since leaning forward opens the spinal canal. But I would like to be able to walk without pain for the rest of my life.

Don't want to have surgery... has anyone here had a laminectomy and does that provide permanent relief?
I’ve had back pain for decades, multiple disc herniations L2-S1, degenerative disc disease L3-L4, spinal stenosis at 3 of 4 discs, numbness in lower front left leg with weakness in toes. It’s a long story but basically, at age 70, I realized I was sitting my life away because I couldn’t do much of anything. I had done pretty much everything, inversion tables, epidural injections, physical therapy, exercises, etc. but no chiropractors. Two neurologists and two orthopedist all agreed that I should emphatically avoid chiropractor for my type injuries.

To make it short, I am 5 months out of surgery now for a two level microlaminectomy of L3 and L4. I am really sorry I didn’t do it earlier but I got off on the wrong track years ago. My recommendation if you decide to pursue it is research carefully and pick a doc that does nothing but spines. Mine specialized in pediatric spinal surgery and corrective spinal surgery and he worked out of a highly respected spine center at a large medical center. He did the surgery himself, no students, etc. involved.

Let me know if you need more detail. My surgery was at 8:00 AM. By 1:30 PM on the same day, I was home and, on his orders, walking around. If you’re in S. jersey, it’s not that far for use to use the same facility I did.

Last edited by LesLucid; 10-11-2018 at 07:55 AM..

Old 10-11-2018, 09:40 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
Mrs. SportyandMisty swears by this for lower back pain:

https://www.amazon.com/Lo-Bak-TRAX-P...ef=sr_1_1_sspa

I've tried it too and it helps. And it is inexpensive.

It is a Shark Tank product.

Old 10-11-2018, 11:24 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Mrs. SportyandMisty swears by this for lower back pain:

https://www.amazon.com/Lo-Bak-TRAX-P...ef=sr_1_1_sspa

I've tried it too and it helps. And it is inexpensive.

It is a Shark Tank product.
Interesting, and I'd love to see someone using it as I can't fathom how it's used. Just viewed the video on amazon and can see how it could work.

One can almost achieve this "traction" on their own, laying on flat surface and I lay on bed, tuck in stomach with feet flat on surface and kinda push and hold, do again and again. For me it strengthens and releases some pain.

One thing about back surgery and one can have the best of surgeons and still come out with issues. There are plenty who end up with issues, it's a real gamble and can't be undone.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 10-11-2018 at 12:39 PM..

Old 10-11-2018, 02:18 PM

708 posts, read 1,296,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Farmer Larry: I just posted new info on dosing in Supplements here. I was not taking enough and from research am now taking 6mg two times daily and from another friend about the form of boron which I have in the Supplement posting. The research says that countries with high boron in soils have far less arthritis.

Poor Farmer Larry. Living with back pain for 30 years. You are a perfect example of what not to do. I've had over 40 surgeries all due to arthritis. I've had 3 back fusions and two neck fusions that totally cured my pain. It boggles my mind that people are so afraid of surgery and prefer to live in pain.

When you have surgery you are not awake and when you wake up you are given pain meds to help get over the initial problems that everyone has when getting an operation. Two months later and you're good as new, providing you have a good surgeon at a good hospital.

Every surgery I've had fixed a serious pain issue and if I had the chance to change anything, I wouldn't. So, for all you folks reading this, don't be like Farmer Larry. I can only imagine how those that you live with (if that's the case) are tired of your constant complaining and wish you would do something to help yourself.

Old 10-11-2018, 02:26 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seethelight View Post
Poor Farmer Larry. Living with back pain for 30 years. You are a perfect example of what not to do. I've had over 40 surgeries all due to arthritis. I've had 3 back fusions and two neck fusions that totally cured my pain. It boggles my mind that people are so afraid of surgery and prefer to live in pain.

When you have surgery you are not awake and when you wake up you are given pain meds to help get over the initial problems that everyone has when getting an operation. Two months later and you're good as new, providing you have a good surgeon at a good hospital.

Every surgery I've had fixed a serious pain issue and if I had the chance to change anything, I wouldn't. So, for all you folks reading this, don't be like Farmer Larry. I can only imagine how those that you live with (if that's the case) are tired of your constant complaining and wish you would do something to help yourself.
Oh you are the person who spoke of 40 surgeries..glad all 40 worked for you. Not this gal. Going thru 40 surgeries, I can't imagine...

And I know you are not awake, but then you wake up and deal with all the complications. 40 surgeries and no complications, amazing. And oh I beat Farmer Larry and live with lower back pain starting at 18 and I'm 80 so we're talking 62 yrs and no back surgery for me. To each his very own choices. I've had a very active good life and that was without surgeries for arthritis, oh one for hip replacement and live 8 yrs post op with enough complications. I must have had the worst surgeons in the U.S.

I thought my cousin in the East had a lot of surgeries with all her major joints replaced but not so.

Old 10-11-2018, 02:33 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Interesting, and I'd love to see someone using it as I can't fathom how it's used. Just viewed the video on amazon and can see how it could work.

One can almost achieve this "traction" on their own, laying on flat surface and I lay on bed, tuck in stomach with feet flat on surface and kinda push and hold, do again and again. For me it strengthens and releases some pain.

One thing about back surgery and one can have the best of surgeons and still come out with issues. There are plenty who end up with issues, it's a real gamble and can't be undone.
There's also several youtube videos of it. Just search for lo-back trax.

Old 10-11-2018, 04:18 PM

294 posts, read 219,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seethelight View Post

Not quite sure how you concluded I live the life of an invalid. Maybe I should have said periodic bad pain but mostly moderate to mild because I live an active life. Until recently I played golf and was very good at it, shot a one under par round years ago. Better than 99% of anyone that ever played the game. I had to plan on possible pain after playing and had nothing planned for the days after. I am also blessed to have natural testosterone levels of a 40 year old man when it was last tested about 2 years ago at 55 years of age. That keeps my muscle tone very youthful and I have very little gray hair and have never needed to wear glasses. I am often told I look much younger than my age.

If you have had that many surgeries with good results you are the exception I can assure you. Most bad flareups will go away after a few weeks unless you are dealing with ruptured discs, that can be very chronic. At least 80% of the people I have spoke with or heard their story secondhand have not had much relief from back surgery, it is a very risky procedure. The overwhelming majority of them wish they had never had the surgery. I retired at a young age due to pain so I have been able to be inactive when needed and not push myself so I can recover and not make things worse.

It is rather strange for you to make a childish assumption that I live a life of complaining. I have had a great life even with chronic pain. I have played golf on every Hawaiian island and every course on Maui. Your need to throw out insults tells me you are the one in need of some type of help and I hope you can get it. I also kind of wonder if you are trolling me over a harsh post I recently made about the LDS cult.

Old 10-12-2018, 03:41 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Keep in mind that even this lo-back trax devise calls for use 2/3 times a day. If one does no-cost exercises that are proper for the condition as diligently,the same relief will probably be achieved.

There is no 'cure' to be had by stretching for a few days or weeks so the exercises needs to become part of your life
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness