Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2018, 10:29 AM

2,565 posts, read 1,640,161 times

Advertisements

My husband had one removed from the back of his neck years ago, it was about 1 inch by 1 inch. He had it done via local anesthesia. It turned out to be deeper than they expected (it had "roots"), but they dug around and got all of it and it never came back. They did test it to make sure it wasn't something called liposarcoma (I think that's what the cancerous variant is called) and thankfully it was benign.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2018, 10:42 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,349,532 times
In 15 years I'd have to think they have more anesthesia options than then for you to try. But don't say it is "just" a lymphoma after you spent paragraphs talking about how painful and disfiguring it was becoming. It needs to come out. Go to a doctor you trust and give a lot of detail about your earlier experience to the anesthesiologist if that will be required.

Old 10-13-2018, 11:22 AM

10,887 posts, read 7,366,706 times
I've never had a lipoma, but I've had drains. The simplest are just a bit of tubing that lets fluid drain by gravity.
The fancy ones have a bulb attached that sucks out the fluid.
Most are needed for only a few days to a couple of weeks. They can be an irritating nuisance, but not generally painful.

But since you mentioned morbid fascination...I've had a drain for FOUR MONTHS now. The fluid collection it is draining has been very slow to heal. Doc finally took it out after twelve weeks, to see if I really needed it. I got rather sick--fevers and pain--so they put the drain back. But now I'm getting IV antibiotics, and I think things are getting better.

Some wounds just don't heal, and the drains stay in FOREVER.

Did I freak you out? I'm kinda freaked myself.

Old 10-13-2018, 02:09 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,844,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
My husband had one removed from the back of his neck years ago, it was about 1 inch by 1 inch. He had it done via local anesthesia. It turned out to be deeper than they expected (it had "roots"), but they dug around and got all of it and it never came back. They did test it to make sure it wasn't something called liposarcoma (I think that's what the cancerous variant is called) and thankfully it was benign.
Yes, they are going to biopsy mine too but I doubt it's anything scary. Honestly at this point that's the least of my concerns!

Glad your husband's treatment turned out well!

Old 10-13-2018, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
In 15 years I'd have to think they have more anesthesia options than then for you to try. But don't say it is "just" a lymphoma after you spent paragraphs talking about how painful and disfiguring it was becoming. It needs to come out. Go to a doctor you trust and give a lot of detail about your earlier experience to the anesthesiologist if that will be required.
Yes, it definitely is painful. You'd have to look hard to see it in a shirt, but naked it's very obvious.

I agree, it needs to come out.

You know, I was thinking about something. This is exactly where I fell 20 years ago - exactly where I dislocated three ribs in my upper back (it was a rather spectacular fall on ice, off a tall porch - wow, that hurt like the dickens!). I have had swelling and a knot off and on in that exact area ever since, and since the knot came and went, and flared up with some movements and then would sort of subside, I didn't consider a lipoma, but now I wonder if it's been growing there ever since. Supposedly they grow slowly. I don't know.

Old 10-13-2018, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I've never had a lipoma, but I've had drains. The simplest are just a bit of tubing that lets fluid drain by gravity.
The fancy ones have a bulb attached that sucks out the fluid.
Most are needed for only a few days to a couple of weeks. They can be an irritating nuisance, but not generally painful.

But since you mentioned morbid fascination...I've had a drain for FOUR MONTHS now. The fluid collection it is draining has been very slow to heal. Doc finally took it out after twelve weeks, to see if I really needed it. I got rather sick--fevers and pain--so they put the drain back. But now I'm getting IV antibiotics, and I think things are getting better.

Some wounds just don't heal, and the drains stay in FOREVER.

Did I freak you out? I'm kinda freaked myself.
Yes, now I am totally freaked out - thank you for that visual!

On a more serious note, wow, I hope you recover soon. What an ordeal you must have been going through.

Old 10-13-2018, 02:30 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,399,979 times
I have quite a few small ones on my arms and two significant ones near the base of my spine which I only just discovered this summer and they are keeping watch over.

We have good health care here. I was seen, tested and given a diagnosis and prognosis all within the same afternoon. So maybe some of these can be dangerous?

I was told they are a gift of my northern European heritage so apparently they can be genetically transmitted.

The plastic surgeon told me that pressure would have to be applied for quite a while after surgery and he thought it wasn't worth the hassle as long as they don't cause pain. He also said that sometimes they come back after removal.

I've thought about a second opinion.

Quasimodo. LOL

Old 10-13-2018, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I have quite a few small ones on my arms and two significant ones near the base of my spine which I only just discovered this summer and they are keeping watch over.

We have good health care here. I was seen, tested and given a diagnosis and prognosis all within the same afternoon. So maybe some of these can be dangerous?

I was told they are a gift of my northern European heritage so apparently they can be genetically transmitted.

The plastic surgeon told me that pressure would have to be applied for quite a while after surgery and he thought it wasn't worth the hassle as long as they don't cause pain. He also said that sometimes they come back after removal.

I've thought about a second opinion.

Quasimodo. LOL
LOL my husband had one in nearly the exact spot and we called his his primordial twin and eventually we named it Falve Jones. So now we're calling mine Falvetta Jones.

We have good health care here too - I was referred (didn't have to have a referral but I was at my family doctor's office anyway) and seen a couple of days later, and then diagnosed (visually but they will biopsy it after surgery), labs and EKG done the same day - I mean the surgery is in about ten days but that was more to accommodate my husband's schedule because I need him here to drive me home. Otherwise I could have had the surgery in less than a week. Considering it's general anesthesia, and not a life threatening emergency, I was pleased overall with the pace of things.

I was disappointed that I couldn't just get it removed in the doctor's office but apparently it's too big for that. Ugh.

I am glad they are keeping an eye on those near your spine - that's one thing that got their attention with mine - it's about one inch to the right of my spine.

Northern European heritage huh? I just had a nurse friend tell me the same thing and I am 99 percent Northern European according to 23 and me! LOL

Old 10-13-2018, 03:50 PM

2,565 posts, read 1,640,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Yes, they are going to biopsy mine too but I doubt it's anything scary. Honestly at this point that's the least of my concerns!

Glad your husband's treatment turned out well!

I very much doubt it too, it is extremely rare for them to turn into anything bad.

Old 10-13-2018, 06:29 PM

457 posts, read 496,151 times
I've had one removed from my armpit (not ideal). I was referred to another doctor (I don't remember the specialty, surgeon?) by my GP. He looked at it and said lipoma (never heard of such). I had them remove it that day under local. It was no big deal. I looked at it after it came out - it was a nasty looking little dude. The worst part for me was not being able to wear deodorant until the stitches came out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness