U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 05:43 PM

27,585 posts, read 10,417,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Hypothyroidism is not the only possible cause of the OP's symptoms. Treating someone with normal thyroid function studies with (life-long) thyroid replacement is irresponsible.
Oh, Suzie, there are decades of MD's who treated HypoT long before labs and Synthroid. I"m sure you have not even picked up Dr. Barnes works.

It's not irresponsible, the MD who finally got me support saved me from 10 yrs of labs and agony and drugs for depression.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2018, 07:46 PM

5,729 posts, read 7,053,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Oh, Suzie, there are decades of MD's who treated HypoT long before labs and Synthroid. I"m sure you have not even picked up Dr. Barnes works.

It's not irresponsible, the MD who finally got me support saved me from 10 yrs of labs and agony and drugs for depression.
That is great for you. But it doesn't sound like the sound thing to do for the OP. You even went as far to say on a previous post that doctors dont need blood work, they can just act on symptoms. That is really not good advice at all.

Old 10-25-2018, 08:26 PM

6,089 posts, read 7,242,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
But they're the only blood tests of practical clinical importance. Even the free T3 is rarely needed, and tests for thyroid antibodies are only of academic interest, not altering treatment in the least.

A thyroid scan is only needed if there is a question of masses /nodules and to calculate dosage in RAI treatment of hyperthyroidism--it adds nothing to the diagnosis or management of hypothyroidism.

Actually, free T4 isn't usually needed--the simple, total T4 is adequate for most cases. Free T4 can be helpful in patients with serum protein abnormalities, probably most commonly in pregnant women.
Well, my doctor, a well-respected, Ivy league educated MD, wholeheartedly disagrees with you.

Old 10-25-2018, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
That is great for you. But it doesn't sound like the sound thing to do for the OP. You even went as far to say on a previous post that doctors dont need blood work, they can just act on symptoms. That is really not good advice at all.
We don't know that, it's a possibility. Too bad it's not easier to get better help. OP has HypoT symptoms that she tells us. OP is gathering info and do what she feels she can. Doctors have been around a long time before this modern medicine explosion. I've seen both the numbers doctors and doctor who worked with symptoms, have you?

Old 10-25-2018, 08:37 PM

26,579 posts, read 30,872,183 times
Quote:
We don't know that, it's a possibility. Too bad it's not easier to get better help. OP has HypoT symptoms that she tells us. OP is gathering info and do what she feels she can.
Hypothyroidism is not the only possible diagnosis for the OP and her thyroid function studies are inconsistent with the diagnosis. Treating for hypothyroidism is not indicated.

Old 10-25-2018, 09:19 PM

790 posts, read 1,265,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Hypothyroidism is not the only possible diagnosis for the OP and her thyroid function studies are inconsistent with the diagnosis. Treating for hypothyroidism is not indicated.
Hair loss, fatigue and now low blood pressure could indicate a heart issue. The risk of heart disease in women increase dramatically at age 50 and with the onset of menopause. Not taking HRT consistently could also be a factor. Perhaps a visit to a cardiologist would be a good idea.

Old 10-26-2018, 07:47 AM

5,729 posts, read 7,053,953 times
Quote:
We don't know that, it's a possibility. Too bad it's not easier to get better help. OP has HypoT symptoms that she tells us. OP is gathering info and do what she feels she can. Doctors have been around a long time before this modern medicine explosion. I've seen both the numbers doctors and doctor who worked with symptoms, have you?
The symptom of being tired is so vague that blood work is indicated. There can be more than a few reasons for fatigue and the quickest way to solve it is to have bloodwork done. Doctors not getting bloodwork done are just guessing.

Old 10-26-2018, 08:36 AM

2,386 posts, read 2,943,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
The symptom of being tired is so vague that blood work is indicated. There can be more than a few reasons for fatigue and the quickest way to solve it is to have bloodwork done. Doctors not getting bloodwork done are just guessing.
I totally agree with you. I think it's absolutely ridiculous to treat someone by guessing what they might have when bloodwork and other diagnostic testing is readily available. Yes, a long time ago, doctors treated people without having labs done, because that wasn't available. As modern medicine (and other modern improvements) have become available, we use them. And yes, of course, we need to take into consideration, the differences between people and pay attention to their symptoms. In fact, about 90% of a diagnosis is based on patient history - what they tell you about how they feel. That's one reason why it's so important to find a doctor or health care provider who listens to what you have to say and why it's so important to give them accurate information.

A long time ago, people lived without AC, too, but now that AC is available, there's no way I'd not have it.

I truly don't understand why people have issues with science based medicine.

Old 10-26-2018, 09:46 AM

1,715 posts, read 1,135,408 times
By the looks of my echo and my last stress test, my heart is fine.

Just took blood work yesterday to chk my Vit D. I hvn't taken it in abt 6-8 mos. I hv kidney disease so I'm supposed to be taking 50,000 i u once a week.

And I've been instructed to keep tabs of my Blood pressure for a couple of weeks, as I stated earlier.

I did ask her abt the 2nd opinion from another endo, and she said they all follow the same guide lines when looking at your thyroid??? Cause I was hoping a diff doctor may hv different views on the thyroid function, etc (within the group of my plan of doctors)

I ordered my new batch of bio-identical hormones, so I hope that helps!

Thanks for all your replies, most interesting to read.

Old 10-26-2018, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
I totally agree with you. I think it's absolutely ridiculous to treat someone by guessing what they might have when bloodwork and other diagnostic testing is readily available. Yes, a long time ago, doctors treated people without having labs done, because that wasn't available. As modern medicine (and other modern improvements) have become available, we use them. And yes, of course, we need to take into consideration, the differences between people and pay attention to their symptoms. In fact, about 90% of a diagnosis is based on patient history - what they tell you about how they feel. That's one reason why it's so important to find a doctor or health care provider who listens to what you have to say and why it's so important to give them accurate information.

A long time ago, people lived without AC, too, but now that AC is available, there's no way I'd not have it.

I truly don't understand why people have issues with science based medicine.
Everyone here is guessing when you come to it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness