Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2018, 07:30 PM

2,513 posts, read 2,073,191 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all the replies. I'm making notes to take to my doctor tmrw.

I was in an minor accident in April. I have arthritis, and the injury really jacked up my inflammation numbers.
And I feel like my energy is just buried inside.

My PCP did prescribe some Lexapro (generic) that made me feel like my old self, but I don't feel like that's the answer.
And I'm dealing with HRT.

It's a mess trying to figure everything out, because no one knows your body like you do!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2018, 07:55 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,428,452 times
You will probably need to find a more integrative doctor. It took me forever to find a doctor to even run all the tests. I even had an endocrinologist say they could tell "just by looking at me" that I didn't have thyroid issues and refused to even order a blood test.

Luckily there's a Family Practice MD near me who is pretty integrative. He ran all the tests, and low and behold, my numbers were way off. He and his NP know more about thyroid disorders than any endo I ever saw. I choose to take a desiccated thyroid med, and it has made a world a difference.

Old 10-24-2018, 07:57 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fresnochili View Post

I was in an minor accident in April. I have arthritis, and the injury really jacked up my inflammation numbers.

My PCP did prescribe some Lexapro (generic) that made me feel like my old self, but I don't feel like that's the answer.

It's a mess trying to figure everything out, because no one knows your body like you do!
The heightened inflammation could well be the cause of the T3 at the lower end of normal. That is the euthyroid sick syndrome I mentioned earlier.

Estrogen can reduce the amount of circulating T4, but your level s normal. What HRT meds are you using? Taking estrogen via a patch avoids the effect on T4.

Old 10-24-2018, 07:58 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
I'm not familiar with numbers but my bff had an overactive thyroid. Came on in her 40s I think. Hair loss. But she was starving to death as she gorged including a milkshake every day. Her digestive system wad in chaos. She was wasting away. Finally (hard headed) she sought help. It took quite a while to get her medication adjusted to exactly right. She was miserable.
So hang in there, have patience, follow your doctor's instructions!

Old 10-24-2018, 08:08 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
You will probably need to find a more integrative doctor. It took me forever to find a doctor to even run all the tests. I even had an endocrinologist say they could tell "just by looking at me" that I didn't have thyroid issues and refused to even order a blood test.

Luckily there's a Family Practice MD near me who is pretty integrative. He ran all the tests, and low and behold, my numbers were way off. He and his NP know more about thyroid disorders than any endo I ever saw. I choose to take a desiccated thyroid med, and it has made a world a difference.
Oh during my 10 yr saga trying to get help...one Endo had me drink a cup of water and then said your thyroid is fine. I about fell off the chair. I ran out of his office and couldn't believe the person who gave him as a recommendation.

Another endo felt around my neck and said your thyroid is fine, but you have Fibro...a whole other story about him trying to push his Fibro drugs.

Neither of the above did labs.

OP: do your basal and or oral temps and if you come up low temp, then that's a good answer. THis is a major test that was done before the lab scene. And another test is painting a patch of tincture iodine on the belly area or inside arm, soft skin and if the iodine is gone pretty fast, that means the body is needing the iodine.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 10-24-2018 at 08:17 PM..

Old 10-25-2018, 03:17 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Oh during my 10 yr saga trying to get help...one Endo had me drink a cup of water and then said your thyroid is fine. I about fell off the chair. I ran out of his office and couldn't believe the person who gave him as a recommendation.

Another endo felt around my neck and said your thyroid is fine, but you have Fibro...a whole other story about him trying to push his Fibro drugs.

Neither of the above did labs.

OP: do your basal and or oral temps and if you come up low temp, then that's a good answer. THis is a major test that was done before the lab scene. And another test is painting a patch of tincture iodine on the belly area or inside arm, soft skin and if the iodine is gone pretty fast, that means the body is needing the iodine.
I thought the doctor who put you on pig thyroid did not do labs? It seems that doctors who do not do labs but do not treat you with thyroid medication are wrong and doctors who do not do labs but treat you are right.

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/hyp...pseudoscience/

"A popular alternative approach to thyroid treatment is body temperature measurements, which are felt to be a proxy for thyroid function. While it sound plausible and could give you the impression of 'taking control' of your hypothyroidism, there’s no persuasive data to link the two. Body temperature does not accurately measure thyroid function and should not be used to guide treatment."

Iodine:

https://lpi.oregonstate.edu/mic/minerals/iodine

You cannot determine iodine status by painting it on your skin. The color can fade due to chemical reactions on the skin that have nothing to do with iodine deficiency, and the rate of color change will vary with air temperature and humidity.

Old 10-25-2018, 05:46 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,781,844 times
your thyroid numbers are completely normal. If you were hypothyroid, your free T4 would be below the normal range, and your TSH would be above the normal range. It's NOT your thyroid!

Talk with your PCP about further tests to find out why you are so tired.

Old 10-25-2018, 05:48 AM

And there are charlatan naturopaths out there who will put you on "natural" animal thyroid extracts, despite the fact that your numbers show you are euthyroid. It's a scam.

Old 10-25-2018, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresnochili View Post

Hmmmm, interesting that you felt like your old self on the Lexapro! Could it be that you are depressed or anxious, and that it's coming out as somatization, and anxious obsession with a condition that medical evidence shows you do NOT have? Could that be why you felt like your old self on the Lexapro?

BTW, the appropriate replacement for low thyroid hormone (which you do NOT have) in humans is levothyroxine. Not animal thyroid extracts. They could harm you. You could develop an allergy to the foreign animal thyroid extract. And you could even develop then a cross allergy to your own thyroid tissue, and induce what you are so afraid you have (but don't) - autoimmune thyroid disease!

Again, go back to a medical doctor and see if there are other reasons why you are so tired. If you had a disease that was making you tired, Lexapro would not help. It doesn't do a thing for people who are not depressed or anxious, other than giving them side effects. It only works for people who have low serotonin brain levels, causing anxiety and depression. So if it worked for you, it IS the answer! You just don't want to accept that.

Old 10-25-2018, 11:01 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
Parentologist: More and more are trying to get on desiccated (animal) thyroid as the synthetics are not working for them. What do you think doctors used for decades before the synthetics came on the scene.

We are just another form of the animal world, not a lab bottle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness