U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2018, 02:39 PM

1,715 posts, read 1,134,887 times

Advertisements

I've been feeling really fatigued lately. Never really understood the meaning of fatigue till now.
My hair is also falling out in the shower so much, I tack it on the shower wall.

So here are my latest #s for on my bloodwork.

Thyroxine, Free, Direct...1.2...range 0.8-1.8 ng/dL
TSH (High Sensitivity)....0.80..""""" 0.40-4.50 mIU/L
T3, Free.......................2.4..."""""""2.3-4.2 pg/mL

I went to my PCP and she is only able to prescribe Levothyroxine, so she sent me to an endocrinologist who told me there was nothing wrong...my #s were normal, and there are lots of reasons to be tired.
I didn't listen to much more, just told her I didn't agree with her and left.

Is my T3 low or not? Sure looks like it to me.
My PCP thought the endo might prescribe cytomel.

I really hope my thyroid is ok. I'm thinking I may be low on my Vit D. I haven't taken it in abt 6 mos.

P.S. The endo did say since my TSH was normal that my T3 was fine...
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2018, 03:45 PM

27,570 posts, read 10,409,403 times
OP: Your T3 is at the low end of the range you posted. The folks on a thyroid group I'm on who take MOSTLY desiccated thyroid supports aim for T4 and T3 to be at higher end of their lab ranges. Again, I have a hard time living with numbers, we are symptoms. You don't even have T4 numbers.

I do not like Syn or Levo and will only take desiccated and MOST conventional MD's don't work with these.

Like many you may not be converting the only T4 to T3 in your body with Levo.

Ideally in my opinion is getting with a more integrative type MD as conventional will only continue with the synthetics.

I use a drop or 2 of iodine daily too for that thyroid thermostat.

And why not be taking D3. In my 10 yrs of trying to get help for my issues starting back in 1991, endos were the very worst.

Old 10-24-2018, 03:56 PM

5,729 posts, read 7,052,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fresnochili View Post
I've been feeling really fatigued lately. Never really understood the meaning of fatigue till now.
My hair is also falling out in the shower so much, I tack it on the shower wall.

So here are my latest #s for on my bloodwork.

Thyroxine, Free, Direct...1.2...range 0.8-1.8 ng/dL
TSH (High Sensitivity)....0.80..""""" 0.40-4.50 mIU/L
T3, Free.......................2.4..."""""""2.3-4.2 pg/mL

I went to my PCP and she is only able to prescribe Levothyroxine, so she sent me to an endocrinologist who told me there was nothing wrong...my #s were normal, and there are lots of reasons to be tired.
I didn't listen to much more, just told her I didn't agree with her and left.

Is my T3 low or not? Sure looks like it to me.
My PCP thought the endo might prescribe cytomel.

I really hope my thyroid is ok. I'm thinking I may be low on my Vit D. I haven't taken it in abt 6 mos.

P.S. The endo did say since my TSH was normal that my T3 was fine...
Maybe there is something else going on that is making you tired. Blood tests dont lie and Endocrinologists know their stuff. Maybe you are anemic. Maybe you are not getting enough quality sleep. Maybe it is your diet.

My GP told me I was borderline anemic and to take an iron supplement. It made me feel more tired. So I went to my endo and he told me that my iron pill was negating my levothyroxine. I start taking my iron at night, problem solved.

Old 10-24-2018, 04:10 PM

As we women get older, there is a lot of info on NOT taking iron supplements. My thinking OP it's thyroid. Hair loss and when I attempted Levo thru an endo, talk about fatigue. No way...

Old 10-24-2018, 04:11 PM

12,210 posts, read 21,656,309 times
All your numbers are in range - unfortuntely, not everyone fits into the "range" - your T3 is above the lower limit of 2.3.

Old 10-24-2018, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
OP: Your T3 is at the low end of the range you posted. The folks on a thyroid group I'm on who take MOSTLY desiccated thyroid supports aim for T4 and T3 to be at higher end of their lab ranges. Again, I have a hard time living with numbers, we are symptoms. You don't even have T4 numbers.

I do not like Syn or Levo and will only take desiccated and MOST conventional MD's don't work with these.

Ideally in my opinion is getting with a more integrative type MD as conventional will only continue with the synthetics.

And why not be taking D3. In my 10 yrs of trying to get help for my issues starting back in 1991, endos were the very worst.

I know, my T3 is at the low end, and that's part of my gripe with them telling me it's normal. I asked the endo if my T3 was 2.3, would you still say it was normal...yes she said because my TSH is normal????
That's when I had to leave her office!!

I do take 50,000 i.u. of vit D2 once a week, but haven't lately cause I can't afford it. Will be ordering some next week tho.

What's the deal with iodine, and your thyroid thermostat? Please explain.

And you're so right....they didn't take my T4!!!
Believe me, I'd rather not see an endo either...was really hoping my PCP could help me.

Old 10-24-2018, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Maybe there is something else going on that is making you tired. Blood tests dont lie and Endocrinologists know their stuff. Maybe you are anemic. Maybe you are not getting enough quality sleep. Maybe it is your diet.

My GP told me I was borderline anemic and to take an iron supplement. It made me feel more tired. So I went to my endo and he told me that my iron pill was negating my levothyroxine. I start taking my iron at night, problem solved.

I will ask to chk my iron too.
Thanks, didn't think of that.

Flamingo13,

But my # is right at the lowest range, it might as well be 2.3.
That's my take on it anyway..

Old 10-24-2018, 04:23 PM

Quote:
I know, my T3 is at the low end, and that's part of my gripe with them telling me it's normal. I asked the endo if my T3 was 2.3, would you still say it was normal...yes she said because my TSH is normal????

I do take 50,000 i.u. of vit D2 once a week, but haven't lately cause I can't afford it. Will be ordering some next week tho.

Believe me, I'd rather not see an endo either...was really hoping my PCP could help me.
I'm sorry you can't go to other doctors. The iodine and I've studied it for years can help the thyroid...as do seafoods. Good quality fish. Those who take little drops of iodine are warmer and many are cold with HypoT. Plus, it's noted for HypoT issues.... I try to eat seafoods but not enough and the fish are so contaminated anyway. Sad situation to try to be healthy, and more so we women. I'm assuming you are female I guess.

A friend who is now 92, never got on thyroid meds but did see an acupuncturists for years for thyroid support and she did good for most of her life..she now feels a need and buys some otc thyroid supplements and they do help and she also takes most days 3 drops of Iodine the brand I take.

Getting the thyroid right for us is a huge challenge and if one has tighter funds even tougher.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 10-24-2018 at 05:44 PM..

Old 10-24-2018, 05:06 PM

406 posts, read 252,631 times
Have your thyroid antibodies checked. Most doctors never check this. My thyroid numbers are normal but my antibodies are elevated. This gives me a diagnosis of Hashimoto's Thyroiditis.
I'm not currently on any thyroid medication, but, most likely, it's in my future.

Old 10-24-2018, 05:15 PM

26,571 posts, read 30,865,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post

I do not think the OP is currently on any thyroid medication. He just said the doc he was seeing does not use anything but levothyroxine. That is why he was referred to an endocrinologist.

He does have the T4 number. Thyroxine is T4. His free T4 is smack in the middle of the normal range.

Quote:

As I said above, thyroxine is T4, and your number is normal. If you were hypothyroid, your TSH would be higher. The T3 is at the very bottom of the normal range, but at this point is still normal.

What can you do?

First is to look for other causes of fatigue. Anemia is just one of them. Have you had any recent illnesses or surgery? Many conditions can cause temporary fluctuations in thyroid function tests although the gland itself is normal.

https://www.merckmanuals.com/home/ho...-sick-syndrome

"Euthyroid sick syndrome commonly occurs in people who have a severe illness other than thyroid disease. When people are sick or undernourished or have had surgery, less thyroid hormone T4 (thyroxine, or tetraiodothyronine) is converted to the active thyroid hormone, T3 (triiodothyronine). Large amounts of reverse T3, an inactive thyroid hormone, accumulate. Despite this abnormal conversion, the thyroid gland continues to function and to control the speed at which the body’s chemical functions proceed (metabolic rate) normally despite changes in some of the results of thyroid blood tests.

Because no problem exists with the thyroid gland, no treatment is needed. Laboratory tests show normal results once the underlying illness resolves."

If no other causes are found for the fatigue, one option is retest in a few weeks. If the TSH is going up, then the question would be whether to start treatment.

Finally, it is possible that you might have a genetic mutation that affects your ability to convert T4 to T3. That can be tested for. The gene is DIO2. If you have done DNA testing wit 23AndMe by any chance you can look at your data to find out if you have one of the relevant mutations.

I would not take iodine until your thyroid situation is clarified. It might just make interpretation of further tests difficult, and it can make some thyroid conditions worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness