Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2018, 12:56 PM

14,927 posts, read 12,123,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BELMO45 View Post
In general the most frequent two cases of cataract surgery not going well is usually in people who either had refractive surgery in the past or are heavily nearsighted. It’s fairly rare that cataract surgery goes wrong in someone who is 20/20 or close to it who didn’t get refractive surgery at some point earlier in their life. Unfortunately we are likely to see the numbers go up though because fewer and fewer people are reaching cataract age at 20/20 vision or close to it. Prior to computers, smartphones etc it was virtually unheard of for any person to ever see their distance vision in the absence of disease worsen after age 30 and close to zero chance of a nearsighted person seeing their prescription markedly change after 30. That is now becoming highly common. It’s not at all unusual now for someone to be 20/20 til age 40-45 and then find themselves being -1.50 at age 60. As a result I expect complication numbers will rise over the next 1-2 decades unless perhaps the human eye evolves over time to resist age related changes caused by electronic device usage. That is certainly a possibility but it could take 100 years for that to occur
Well, I must have been lucky because I was very nearsighted most of my life ( 20/600 in my right eye, 20/300 in the left), requiring corrective lenses. I wore hard contact lenses for about 12 yrs, glasses the rest of the time, no refractive surgery. So in my mid 60's, large cataracts in both eyes made me able to see only colors and general shapes in the right eye, a bit more detail in the left. The cataract surgery I had, with the implantation of monocular distance lenses in both eyes has left me with 20/20 vision in both eyes and the need for glasses only for reading and other close up work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2018, 09:54 AM

3,072 posts, read 1,299,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Well, I must have been lucky because I was very nearsighted most of my life ( 20/600 in my right eye, 20/300 in the left), requiring corrective lenses. I wore hard contact lenses for about 12 yrs, glasses the rest of the time, no refractive surgery. So in my mid 60's, large cataracts in both eyes made me able to see only colors and general shapes in the right eye, a bit more detail in the left. The cataract surgery I had, with the implantation of monocular distance lenses in both eyes has left me with 20/20 vision in both eyes and the need for glasses only for reading and other close up work.
20/600 and 300 is still in the safe range. That’s -3 and -6. Most cataract/LASIK procedures are likely to be successful up about the -6 threshold. Once you start going under that risk of not getting desired result rises significantly. It’s generally not expected that someone who is -10 and develops cataracts will get to 20/20 after the procedure. Many surgeons in that case will recommend inserting a lens that gets the patient to -2 and will wear corrective lenses. For someone who is -8, 10, or 12 their entire lives being -2 suddenly is still a miracle to them. Most nearsighted people fall between -1 and -3 and can’t comprehehnd what life is like for someone who is -10. They can’t shave, put on makeup, operate effectively in the shower, or after age 40 take their glasses off and see the computer screen 2 feet in front of them. I remember how thrilled my dad was at 48 when he got -2 lenses put in after cataract surgery after being -11 since age 10. It was like a person who was mildly nearsighteded waking up after lasik

Old 12-29-2018, 08:40 PM

17,533 posts, read 13,320,341 times
My right eye surgery was the 2nd and just had the left eye done on the 18th.

Still on drops and still some inflammation.

Color correction was the very first thing I noticed after 1st surgery. Right eye was seeing WHITEs and left eye was yellow. Now, both eyes see whites

Light sensitivity is now going away. Night driving is easier. I'll know more in a month

Glad I made the decision to go ahead now and not wait longer

Old 12-30-2018, 06:02 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times
Had mine done about a month or two apart, 11 years ago and have had only 1 problem.I did have to have a film removed after my first eye. There was almost nothing to it and am fine now. I am really bad about wearing sun glasses, so this doesn't help. Hubby, at 82 still hasn't had to have his done. They keep telling him he doesn't need them removed. He takes very good care of his eyes. If the doctor says you do not need them removed trust him or change doctors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness