Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 04:45 AM

5,110 posts, read 3,070,200 times

Advertisements

I posted about this before on here, but I cannot find the old thread at all, as it's been a while and I cannot even find it on my threads, so sorry for making the new thread if that's a problem.

Before I was told by many to take melatonin to help my insomnia and to start exercising more. That helped for a few weeks, but now the store doesn't sell that kind anymore, so I had to get a different kind by a different company.

This kind doesn't work at all in comparison, and it just makes me feel more tired. I tried looking for the company from before, but cannot find a place that carries it now.

But I feel that my body is not working with this new kind, and I haven't been exercising as much cause of a knee injury, I actually got from jogging.

So since I haven't slept in the past couple of weeks hardly, and the insomnia has gotten much worse, is there anything else I can do besides melatonin to put me to sleep?

The problem with the melatonin is that is just makes me really tired, where as I need to actually go into unconsciousness, not just be tired.

Is there anything else out there that can help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2018, 05:21 AM

759 posts, read 3,144,613 times
I've used GABA in conjuction with melatonin when I've had troubles that prevented me from sleeping. Valerian root will help you stay asleep a little longer, but I was never able to use it long, it gave me vivid nightmares.

I agree about the melatonin, some of the brands don't seem to work well. Some good websites to order from are iherb and vitacost

Old 11-14-2018, 09:26 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,761,312 times
At this point, I'd see a doctor and ask for a sleep study to try to get to the bottom of your issues.

Old 11-14-2018, 09:31 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,584,478 times
My coworker does 2 melatonin and 2 Tylenol pm every night and swears by it. No idea if that’s really a safe long term solution but she is a nurse and feels it’s safe for her at least.

Old 11-14-2018, 09:44 AM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
Not sleeping is bad..........going with too little sleep for extended periods can be dangerous and drive you insane.

If me, I would consider a prescription sleep-aid, as a temporary solution, until
I had the matter worked-out.

Old 11-14-2018, 10:10 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,819,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Not sleeping is bad..........going with too little sleep for extended periods can be dangerous and drive you insane.

If me, I would consider a prescription sleep-aid, as a temporary solution, until
I had the matter worked-out.
A few years ago I had insomnia and no matter what I did I could not get a good nights sleep. My doctor prescribed a very low dose of Zolpidem and I was finally able to sleep. I only needed them for a few weeks and my insomnia went away. Every now and again - months - I may take a half of one if I am struggling to stay asleep.

Old 11-14-2018, 10:29 AM

9,858 posts, read 7,729,352 times
Get up every morning and go outside and get morning sunshine. It will help your body create it's own melatonin and get your circadian rhythm back on track.

Old 11-14-2018, 12:12 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,041,876 times
Prescription Ambien (zolpidem). There's a reason 30 million prescriptions for it (2017) have been written.

Old 11-14-2018, 01:58 PM

7,125 posts, read 12,665,237 times
Very complicated issue--this insomnia. Can be diet related--too much sugar or caffeine during the day. Or too much alcohol. Can be stress related. Could be hormone-related. Many things cause it.

You might try this simple home remedy...often works for me:

A half hour before bed, mix 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar (the kind with the "mother" in it like Braggs) and a tablespoon of raw honey into a half glass of warm water...drink it down.

Changes the Ph of the blood into being more alkaline...that does a number of complicated chemical things to the body, but the upshot is is often brings sweet sleep. Works for me more often than not. And I don't have to get up so often to pee either which is a sleep disruptor.

Good luck!

Old 11-14-2018, 02:35 PM

376 posts, read 500,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Wrong, dont sow fear, a lot of people will read your comment.

I went a straight 5 days before, ive been through hell with insomnia for months before, getting only hours some weeks. You dont go "insane", you'll always eventually sleep and it may even be microsleep that you dont even realize is happening.

Even after 5 days, I was plenty capable of coding and doing my professional job as well as driving. Insomnia is nothing to fear, only an irritating hindrance for those affected.

You'll be a lot of things (washed out, tired, fatigued, irritable) but insane is not one of them. Exercise, and a strict adherence to a sleep schedule cured mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness