Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 05:01 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times

Advertisements

Just talking to my friend who has tried so much and now taking 60Billion CFU probiotics. Some of these high quality probiotics are 120B and are refrigerated.

Then she's used with success Lactic Acid Yeast Wafers by Standard Process. She won't buy the otc or script drugs due to s/e issues, they all have s/e's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2018, 05:03 PM

7,259 posts, read 5,135,660 times
Anatomy of GE junction https://www.bing.com/images/ The lower esophageal sphincter is not a true sphincter. The Gastro-esophageal junction, where esophageal cells transition into gastric cells lining the respective organs, is normally positioned right at the level of the diaphragm. On swallowing, the bolus of food is propelled by a wave of peristalsis that lifts the gastric portion of the junction temporarily up above the diaphragmatic hiatus (hole in the diaphragm)...So we all have, technically, a "sliding hiatal hernia."

Most people usually have no problem with reflux of stomach contents back up into the esophagus. People who do get acid/food back up above the diaphragm regularly often have a weaker sphincter tone (smaller elevations of gastric pressure to allow back flow) and those who actually get a larger portion of the stomach up above the diaphragm have the lowest threshold of pressure to relax the sphincter. https://www.hindawi.com/journals/grp/2010/857654/

In practice, a very important factor is the relative position of the stomach-esophagus-diaphragm. Those with a "beer-belly" or obese habitus have an altered angle between the parts and that changes the ability of the sphincter to remain closed effectively.

Trauma can also cause an enlargement of the diaphragmatic hiatus, and of course, growths, tumors, scar tissue can affect the function and allow gastric contents to get back up where it doesn't belong.

Doctors often dismiss heartburn type complaints as being due to hiatus hernia as an easy, "scientific" explanation for the patient without having the actual radiographic proof. Many patients have reflux without a significant hernia, and many with significant hernia don't have significant reflux disease. Go figure.

It's not very common for a hiatus hernia to be so bad that surgical treatment is necessary.

Sometimes treatments aimed at reducing stomach acid don't work because they don't address the actual reflux-- the acid may be gone, but the stomach contents still get up into the esophagus where they cause irritation and pain. The pain is often actually due to esophageal spasm and not to a "chemical burn".

Old 11-29-2018, 05:58 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Taking antacids, ppi or h2 blocks, is bad for you over the long term. In interferes with proper digestion and nutrient uptake. You should lose weight, fix your diet, and change your lifestyle according to the widely recommended guidelines (no food 4 hours before bed, elevate sleeping position if necessary, no coffee or alcohol, drink more water, etc, etc).
This is generally accurate advice. However, the reality for many of us who suffer with GERD that even if we had a perfect weight and eliminated citrus fruits, chocolate, coffee, alcohol, and anything even slightly acidic from our diets we would still have a problem. In my own case, a barium x-ray test showed that when I would lay down the valve between my esophagus and stomach would simply open up.

It just isn't enough for everyone. I know because I did it all and than some for awhile before I gave up and had surgery.

Old 11-29-2018, 06:51 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
This is generally accurate advice. However, the reality for many of us who suffer with GERD that even if we had a perfect weight and eliminated citrus fruits, chocolate, coffee, alcohol, and anything even slightly acidic from our diets we would still have a problem. In my own case, a barium x-ray test showed that when I would lay down the valve between my esophagus and stomach would simply open up.

It just isn't enough for everyone. I know because I did it all and than some for awhile before I gave up and had surgery.
This is true. For some people, there is simply a plumbing problem, and surgery or drugs are indicated. But, and this is a big but, there are many, many people with GERD who are not making the lifestyle changes: They eat like pigs, they are fat, they are out of shape, they drink booze daily, and they simply self-prescribe OTC PPIs and H2s and Antacids on a daily basis. They are risking gastric cancers after years of this abuse, and they could cure themselves if they were able to be stronger and make the indicated lifestyle choices. GERD for a few people is a true medical condition, but for many it is a choice.

Old 11-30-2018, 09:04 AM

19,632 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post

Did the surgery "cure" you with no other effects?

I am very nervous of surgery, and have had complications with other surgeries I've had so I'm wary.

My valve just opens up too, there's no getting around it except controlling the amount of acid that splashes up, or surgery.

Old 12-13-2018, 04:50 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Did the surgery "cure" you with no other effects?

I am very nervous of surgery, and have had complications with other surgeries I've had so I'm wary.

My valve just opens up too, there's no getting around it except controlling the amount of acid that splashes up, or surgery.

Sorry. I didn't see this until recently. I've been out of the country.

However, I do want to speak to acid reflux surgery or Nissen fundoplication as it is known.

I had it done two years ago literally out of desperation. I was taking two acid blocking pills a day and two acid neutralizing pills. Even so, it didn't work because when I would lie down to go to bed acid would come up out of my stomach and leave me with a sore throat in the morning.

Untreated acid reflux will lead to Barrett's Esophagus which is a pre-cancerous condition.

I did the only thing I could. I had the surgery. Has it worked? I'd say it has eliminated 70% of my problem. Would I do it again? Yes. Is it perfect? No. Will you still have to take some medication? Very likely yes, but it will be reduced.

I can't speak for everyone. For me, I was at my wit's end when I did it. I was even trying to sleep in a chair at night.

Old 12-13-2018, 10:47 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
This info was brought to the board a couple days ago and I found it VERY interesting. I've been taking Melatonin (low dose) for years and no reflux/gerd issues here...

//www.city-data.com/forum/alter...id-reflux.html

Old 12-14-2018, 05:16 PM

17,574 posts, read 13,355,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I had about four months worth of Prevacid, ran low and went online to get some more. Found it had been recalled a while back. Sellers are taking advantage on Ebay with black market prices. Now generics are selling out in stores too. It is the only reflux med that works correctly for me with no side effects.

This sucks - chest hurts, throat hurts, back hurts, ears burn despite taking another PPI plus liquid antacids. I can't imagine people in severe pain who get their opiates pulled. I understand why they go to the streets.
It appears that only the 24 hr slow release caps are recalled

https://www.drugs.com/fda-alerts/1433-849.html

Get Rx for 20mg tabs 1 twice a day

Old 12-16-2018, 05:51 AM

1,767 posts, read 1,742,996 times
Is a Barium test very informative or would it be better to simply have an endoscopy? I am having a barium test this week as I have been having difficulty in swallowing and what I thought was possibly cold/ flu symptoms of pain & slight burn in throat now I'm realizing is all what ever this issue I am experiencing with the throat. I have just started taking Omeprozale (sp?) for about 5 days- not sure it is helping much but my throat is not as sore today as it has been. I talk a lot at work and thinking since it is a weekend maybe not speaking all day is providing some relief.

Obviously, my concern is this could be a very serious issue as throat cancer symptoms are exactly what the OP mentioned but it sounds from most of you that GERD has the same symptoms. Interesting how "things" just develop.

Old 12-16-2018, 06:40 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,186,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneslip View Post
Is a Barium test very informative or would it be better to simply have an endoscopy? I am having a barium test this week as I have been having difficulty in swallowing and what I thought was possibly cold/ flu symptoms of pain & slight burn in throat now I'm realizing is all what ever this issue I am experiencing with the throat. I have just started taking Omeprozale (sp?) for about 5 days- not sure it is helping much but my throat is not as sore today as it has been. I talk a lot at work and thinking since it is a weekend maybe not speaking all day is providing some relief.

Obviously, my concern is this could be a very serious issue as throat cancer symptoms are exactly what the OP mentioned but it sounds from most of you that GERD has the same symptoms. Interesting how "things" just develop.
I've had a barium swallow, followed soon thereafter by the Endoscopy. I think they often do them in conjunction with one another. The swallow is a good, noninvasive way to get real time info about function if you are having swallowing difficulties. The procedure itself was interesting. They put you in positions that became progressively more awkward (like on your back and leaning to the sides) and tell you "okay, just swallow".

My swallow results were completely normal. My EGD showed minor esophagitis and gastritis. I was on a prescription strength PPI for about 6 months, but I didn't want to use the PPI for an extended period of time, so I took myself off that and transitioned to using just an OTC H2 blocker. That was last year, and my problems have been greatly reduced since.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness