Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 03:12 PM

19,632 posts, read 12,226,539 times

Advertisements

I had about four months worth of Prevacid, ran low and went online to get some more. Found it had been recalled a while back. Sellers are taking advantage on Ebay with black market prices. Now generics are selling out in stores too. It is the only reflux med that works correctly for me with no side effects.

This sucks - chest hurts, throat hurts, back hurts, ears burn despite taking another PPI plus liquid antacids. I can't imagine people in severe pain who get their opiates pulled. I understand why they go to the streets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2018, 03:27 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I had about four months worth of Prevacid, ran low and went online to get some more. Found it had been recalled a while back. Sellers are taking advantage on Ebay with black market prices. Now generics are selling out in stores too. It is the only reflux med that works correctly for me with no side effects.

This sucks - chest hurts, throat hurts, back hurts, ears burn despite taking another PPI plus liquid antacids. I can't imagine people in severe pain who get their opiates pulled. I understand why they go to the streets.
1. It sounds like you should see a doctor and get a prescription for something stronger than what you can get over the counter. There are other PPI's like aciphex or nexium. However, the cheapest most effective drug is probably generic pantoprazole.

2. There is a surgical procedure called fundoplication that might help you. If this is a persistent problem, I would encourage you to consult with a surgeon in your area who does these. It can be an effective solution for many patients for years.

3. Its best not to treat this by yourself with OTC meds. Inadequate treatment can lead to erosions in your esophagus that, in turn, lead to Barret's Esophagus (a pre-cancerous condition)

4. Dietary changes, plus sleeping with your head elevated can also do a great deal of good.

Sorry, you are in this situation. I empathize. I've suffered from GERD for almost twenty years.

Old 11-28-2018, 03:29 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
Quote:

This is a FDA warning from a while back:

https://chriskresser.com/fda-sounds-...antacid-drugs/

Have you ever done a search for: alternatives to PPI's ?

My neighbor has a major reflux/gerd issue and takes alternatives to keep her managing her issue.

I have been fortunate in that area as I've gotten to 80 and none of these.

Makes me wonder what I take that keeps me from these issues, and I take a lot of supplements. Some things come to mind but probiotics stands out, kinda. I take a 30billion CFU daily for years.

Grape Seed Ex also and taking it for years, I can see my sil for years swallowing Tums and oh I tried to get him on Grape Seed Ex.

If it were me, I'd be working to get to the root of my issues...

Last edited by jaminhealth; 11-28-2018 at 04:32 PM..

Old 11-28-2018, 04:58 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
That sounds rough, you have my sympathy as a fellow GERD-victim!!!!!!

Has the cause of your GERD been diagnosed, have you been scoped?

Old 11-28-2018, 09:26 PM

19,632 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
That sounds rough, you have my sympathy as a fellow GERD-victim!!!!!!

Has the cause of your GERD been diagnosed, have you been scoped?
Yeah, no Barrett's. I had a problem with my gastroenterologist and have to wait until next year to pick a new one. I've tried all the rx meds and natural treatments, but Prevacid was my go-to prescription med, then it went OTC.

I have a hiatal hernia since I was a teenager.

GERD has really exploded in recent years, I think those meds fly off the shelves.

Old 11-29-2018, 04:43 AM

7,259 posts, read 5,135,660 times
Quote:
Yeah, no Barrett's. I had a problem with my gastroenterologist and have to wait until next year to pick a new one. I've tried all the rx meds and natural treatments, but Prevacid was my go-to prescription med, then it went OTC.

GERD has really exploded in recent years, I think those meds fly off the shelves.

A coupla points-

-not all "heartburn" is acid related; if meds meant for acid problems don't work, then maybe it ain't an acid problem

-among the "ulcer meds" like Pepcid, Nexium, etc the difference in efficacy between them is small. If one doesn't seem to work as well as another, it probably just needs a bigger dose, rather than declaring it ineffective

-EVERBODY has a hiatal hernia (that's normal physiology). Most of us just don't get symptoms of reflux from it.

-your multiple symptoms suggest something else besides acid problems is going on--digestive symptoms + back pain suggests a pancreatic or gall bladder problem;... burning ears suggests someone is taking about you

Old 11-29-2018, 09:44 AM

Quote:

Yeah, how big is the hiatal-hernia???

I have a HH and plan on eventually getting it fixed. I know when I sustained my HH via an injury......I never had ANY GERD/digestion/stomach problems before that injury, YMMV.

Old 11-29-2018, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
A coupla points-

-not all "heartburn" is acid related; if meds meant for acid problems don't work, then maybe it ain't an acid problem

-among the "ulcer meds" like Pepcid, Nexium, etc the difference in efficacy between them is small. If one doesn't seem to work as well as another, it probably just needs a bigger dose, rather than declaring it ineffective

-EVERBODY has a hiatal hernia (that's normal physiology)
. Most of us just don't get symptoms of reflux from it.

-your multiple symptoms suggest something else besides acid problems is going on--digestive symptoms + back pain suggests a pancreatic or gall bladder problem;... burning ears suggests someone is taking about you

WHAT, no, everybody does not have a hiatal-hernia.

Old 11-29-2018, 11:23 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
A coupla points-

-EVERBODY has a hiatal hernia (that's normal physiology). Most of us just don't get symptoms of reflux from it.

I don't have a hiatal hernia. Perhaps most adults over 60 do, but obviously not everyone.

Old 11-29-2018, 11:31 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
I also have GERD, and take generic Prilosec (Omeprazole). My prescription is 40mg, and I take one every morning, but lately I've been getting heartburn later after taking it. I take it with breakfast, and my doctor said to take it on an empty stomach and see if it helps.

But I have to go to work early, and forget to take it, I pay the price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness