Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 07:23 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Strike one: Harvard.
Strike two: Professor.
Strike three: Preaching from the pulpit to The Great Unwashed.

Mission Accomplished. He got his name in the news. Now Dr. Haavahd, go home and drink your martinis and shut up. Your work here is done.

I agree.

Actually, the article makes me glad I seldom pay any attention to harvard professors.

Just remember, no matter what you do or do not do, no matter what you eat or do not eat, no matter the frequency at which you do or eat, eventually, you gonna DIE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2018, 07:25 AM

757 posts, read 838,116 times
Everyone dies from something.

Old 12-06-2018, 07:40 AM

9,364 posts, read 14,309,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

I'd say that no amount of smoking is safe ... what you put into your body will someday catch up with you.

I firmly believe that there is nothing wrong with eating sweets or junk food sparingly. Very sparingly. French Fries are not a vegetable and no one should eat that kind of thing daily, or weekly.
Personally, I agree with you 100%.

But that is no guarantee of anything.

Quote:

For whomever mocked a Harvard professor for publishing this study, have your laughs. No matter how much the anti-health anti education crowd loves to make fun of well educated people, research universities, new health discoveries and healthy food,
I think the issue that some of us have is with all these studies masquerading as "science" and then lauding the authors as "scientists". It smacks of arrogance more than anything else.

Science means knowledge, as in, very specifically, you do the same thing over and over again with the very same result over and over again.

But we observe plenty of people who smoke, eat fried food, for example, never exercise and live long lives, while plenty of people eat a plant-based whole foods diet and exercise regularly, and yet drop dead prematurely of some disease or heart attack.

So obviously there are more factors involved than just diet, including dumb luck.

So it is not science according to that strict definition.

It is, however, a reasonable art of decreasing risk and improving probabilities.

In that framework, such studies have some value, but they are NOT science. We simply do NOT KNOW in advance the outcome in each and every case, like we do when we boil water, for example.

Finally, these people are not discovering anything new: these diets and healthy foods have been around for at least 10,000 years.

I have more confidence in what my great grandmother and grandfather actually did (or didn't do) than what these "scientists" say in studies.

At best, these studies may corroborate 10,000 years of common-sense experience and may have the potential to become "science" if the methodology is followed and achieves the same result in every case across earth time and time again.

Until then, they are just one tool, one humble tool, in a vast, very vast, toolbox.

Last edited by bale002; 12-06-2018 at 07:48 AM..

Old 12-06-2018, 11:04 AM

11,128 posts, read 9,760,240 times
I use my air fryer to make french fries, much less fat, and crispy delicious. And yes, I eat more than 6 at a time!

Old 12-06-2018, 09:36 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,528,515 times
Quote:
I'm very sorry for your loss. I really am.

Bottom line, this professor DID study the affect of potatoes heated in junk oil at very high temperatures and came up with an amount that in his estimation, is "safe" - but not healthy.

I'd say that no amount of smoking is safe, but it's so hard to stop. Which, is why among many reasons, I chose never to start.

For whomever mocked a Harvard professor for publishing this study, have your laughs. No matter how much the anti-health anti education crowd loves to make fun of well educated people, research universities, new health discoveries and healthy food, what you put into your body will someday catch up with you.

Studies that are in the format of "click bait" are in that format because they are used as advertising. That is not the fault of PhD's.

Click bait is not used to advertise higher education.

I firmly believe that there is nothing wrong with eating sweets or junk food sparingly. Very sparingly. French Fries are not a vegetable and no one should eat that kind of thing daily, or weekly.
Thanks! I agree with your last paragraph. I don't eat fries but occasionally.

Old 12-07-2018, 09:07 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,356,199 times
I love potatoes in all forms. There are weeks when I have french fries multiple times per week!

I do not fry them at home though---I usually bake them. Of course my husband bought "me" and air fryer for "my birthday" and he pretty much uses it non-stop for everything, which includes french fries usually.

Old 12-07-2018, 09:40 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,077,083 times
6 is just a tease.

Old 12-08-2018, 05:59 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,209,487 times
He didn't say you should eat only 6 fries at once. He said “I think it would be nice if your meal came with a side salad and six French fries.”

Old 12-08-2018, 06:11 AM

1,831 posts, read 3,199,941 times
https://www.organicfacts.net/health-...of-potato.html

Potatoes are not entirely bad for you. If fried in coconut oil, that would possibly mitigate some concerns.

Old 12-08-2018, 11:48 AM

9,419 posts, read 11,166,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
He must have tiny hands. I am small, and can cram in at least seven or eight at a time.
He does have a tiny brain. Hands, not so sure...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
A lot of fast food fries are terrible. If you're going to eat fries, eat good ones.
Good ones, indeed. Like McDonald's. Don't forget the shake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
I'd like to see the prof eat just 6 fries....
I'm wondering if he's not a rice cake and water kind of guy. Or steak and martinis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
This is one of the reasons I never take these articles seriously. And when they come from a Harvard professor and is printed in the NY Times I take it even less seriously.
Dang! NYT is strike four.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness