Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 03:18 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooksmom View Post
Good that you are thinking about these things NOW so that you can make arrangements for all those things you are worried about BEFORE anything happens to you. Once in-hospital you will have to depend on someone in Social Work to help you, and they don't go to your apt and retrieve your bills to pay and then go pay them. They just don't. IF you were unconscious they would not even know what your situation out of the hospital was, esp IF you truly don't have any family/friends. Plan ahead! I am in the same boat. My son lives 1000 miles away and might never know I was hospitalized IF I didn't plan now.
I had an accident in college and somehow this stuff got worked out when I was in the hospital. I had a head injury and I guess they conducted a mental status exam and did an MRI, but I am sure I wasn’t with it enough to give them my insurance info at the time. This was before cell phones. Now in most places, you can set up emergency contacts just in case and can have one on your phone too. It is much easier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2018, 07:45 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concert D Major View Post
What if you don't have anyone you can call? I always worry about what if I'm in long enough that the rent is past-due and I get kicked out, even though I've got the money to pay but am stuck in the hospital and can't write the check and drop it off. And what do hospitals charge for the bathroom goods and meals?
My girlfriend was admitted a couple times this year with no charger, etc., in her immediate possession. Most places will have a charger to borrow. Rent and bills can be done on your phone.

Old 12-11-2018, 02:07 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
I had an accident in college and somehow this stuff got worked out when I was in the hospital. I had a head injury and I guess they conducted a mental status exam and did an MRI, but I am sure I wasn’t with it enough to give them my insurance info at the time. This was before cell phones.
Only been through the ER once after a head on car crash. I wouldn't have cared or noticed what I was given to wear, what I looked like, what happened to my belongings. Everything stayed with me. Luckily I was discharged some hours later, but my car was totaled and I was 30 miles from home. I'd just moved to the area 2 weeks before so didn't know anyone well. Was able to remember one co-worker's name and looked him up in the local phone book. The hospital placed the call for me. He drove me home (turned out to be a 50+ mile trip for him). My keys were scattered all over the wrecked car so we had to break into the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness