Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 04:59 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by happygrrrl View Post
I have them in both kidneys. My urologist tracks them via ct scans & ultrasounds and at this stage they are all small enough to pass, which has happened a lot.

By far the scariest incident for me was when a stone was caught in my left ureter. I had no typical symptoms, no flank pain, just thought I had the flu. I did not even have a urologist at the time. On about day 4 of having a high fever I bought a thermometer and when it hit 105F I figured it was time for the ER...good thing, because after treatment I was told I had come close to septic shock.

The lithotripsy to break up the stone wasn’t the issue, it was the five-mile long hose that was rammed up my urethra and into my bladder to ease the passing of the fragments. When that hose was pulled out...I’ll just say that I went to a whole other level of agony.

I once passed a stone while on a commercial airliner...omg.

To all my fellow kidney-stone sufferers, I salute you and I. We have gone where no woman or man should ever have to go, and lived to tell the tale! Keep drinking water! Lots of it!
I salute you to!

To settle the old argument that many make (not me) which is more painful; child birth or passing a kidney stone? To me it would seem hard to compare since there are so many variables.

That's a hose they left in me for a week? I thought is was a weed eater line! I did not have that after the lithotripsy; I had it after the physical removal of a stone. And, yes, that was one of the worst days and night of my life when they removed that line!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2019, 10:57 PM

1,122 posts, read 961,370 times
Oh My Kidney Stones - I found this thread as I was curious if anyone had started one. I have not been in City-Data for awhile as I had been ill for 5 months. Couldn't figure it out but thought it had to do with stress after losing my grandson back on March 28th. Then on Oct 25th I ended up in the ER. I could not stand the pain on my left side. They did a cat scan on me and I had a 8MM Stone lodged in my Ureter. They admitted me to the hospital because I am also diabetic as they wanted to observe me. The Urologist came in to see me and told me he wanted to insert a stent to help with the pain etc. So I went under a General at 6pm on that Friday and the stent was inserted.

I guess the urologist felt the stone MIGHT pass but it wouldn't. I ended back in the hospital on Dec 23rd and the ER doc decided to call my urologist's colleague/partner since my urologist was out of town for the holidays. I got a call from the other urologist who wanted me to come in for a consultation and they made the appt for me to go to the hospital on Jan. 8th as an outpatient to have the stone blasted. Hooray!

I was so blasted happy to have that thing out of me. I went back to see the doctor- went over diet. Oh my, NO chocolate - No nuts - No dark greens like Kale etc. It's an Oxalate diet. Best thing is to drink 8 - 8 oz glasses of water a day which I have been doing. I cut out nuts and chocolate. As well as most of the "bad things" on this list that make kidney stones. In the morning, I take half of a lemon and squeeze the juice into a mug along with some honey and pour hot water over it. Hot Lemon water or cold is good to drink for stones.

I gave birth to my daughter almost 48 yrs ago but the kidney stone flank pain was WORSE. You do not want that terrible pain. Avoid at all cost.

Old 02-05-2019, 05:29 PM

457 posts, read 496,845 times
I had a kidney stone - left kidney - in March of 2014. I will NEVER forget that pain. The pain was so bad it made me throw up several times, and as a general rule I will do anything to not throw up.
I do remember how the pain instantly stopped once the dilaudid went into my veins.

It took me 10 days to finally pass that sucker. I passed it while waiting for the nurse to call back with an appointment time for surgery (or whatever their plan was, I didn't care at that point).

I hope I never have another.

Old 02-06-2019, 03:12 AM

1,412 posts, read 1,015,804 times
The husband is a pro at passing kidney stones! Always the left kidney. He's passed a 7 mm and then a 12-13 mm kidney stone. The last one took 8 months - his choice, and he was not in pain the entire time. Eventually that one did require some mediation that helped to open up tube or valves or something like that. But he passed it! It was a record breaker for his urologists office!

He reduced his sodium intake from very high to simply high. And drinks lots of water - 100 ounces each day. It's been a couple of years since that big one passed, and he's had several Xrays and MRIs this past year with no indication of another big one in there. So fingers crossed!

Old 02-07-2019, 11:42 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,203,824 times
This thread is an eye opener and I thank each of you for sharing your experiences.

I had a kidney stone about 7 years ago (right side) that I never found out what kind it was. (I'm not straining my pee!!) But because of work conditions at the time, I was pretty sure it was due to dehydration.

But I'm going through something right now that has me trying to find answers. I've had a pain in my right side for over a month now. No fever and no nausea - just pain. I finally went to the doctor Monday and had a CT scan done yesterday (waiting for results right now). It's not gallbladder (that was removed in July). For some reason, I'm convinced it is a stone.

I can't understand how one feels it moving and knows when it's about to pass. I don't know how long one can be in your kidney. And at what point it causes pain.

The pain from the first one was bad and so was the accompanying nausea. I'm a little scared to go through that again and the thought of the blasting procedure is a little frightening too.

Any more words of wisdom from you pros?

Old 02-08-2019, 07:20 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
This thread is an eye opener and I thank each of you for sharing your experiences.

I had a kidney stone about 7 years ago (right side) that I never found out what kind it was. (I'm not straining my pee!!) But because of work conditions at the time, I was pretty sure it was due to dehydration.

But I'm going through something right now that has me trying to find answers. I've had a pain in my right side for over a month now. No fever and no nausea - just pain. I finally went to the doctor Monday and had a CT scan done yesterday (waiting for results right now). It's not gallbladder (that was removed in July). For some reason, I'm convinced it is a stone.

I can't understand how one feels it moving and knows when it's about to pass. I don't know how long one can be in your kidney. And at what point it causes pain.

The pain from the first one was bad and so was the accompanying nausea. I'm a little scared to go through that again and the thought of the blasting procedure is a little frightening too.

Any more words of wisdom from you pros?
I’ve had lithotripsy, the procedure itself wasn’t bad since I was under anesthesia, the problem was after I went home and started passing the fragments.

On a side note, I have had acute prostititis several times since then, and I’m convinced it started with the stents they used.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness