Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 12:19 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times

Advertisements

This subject is absolutely maddening in today's modern world and for sure here in the U.S. I would not take them and I don't have a fear of cholesterol for starters. There are SO MANY schools of thought and papers, articles on this subject. All I can say FOR SURE is my parents generation did NOT take statins, they didn't exist, and I don't know of alzheimers in these people I knew. My folks lived into 90's, ate every thing in their lives and had their minds at their ends.

https://www.healthline.com/health/hi...nd-memory-loss

I don't even know if this generation had all the labwork that is done today. Something tells me NO.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 03-04-2018 at 12:39 PM..

Old 03-04-2018, 12:55 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
Interesting article.

From the article:

Research has actually suggested the opposite — that statins may help prevent Alzheimer’s disease and other forms of dementia.

However, as usual, no one is absolutely sure.

What I thought was more of a concern are the risks for muscle damage, liver damage, and diabetes. Scroll down and you can see more things that cause memory loss. But let's stick to the topic about statins and memory loss.

Old 03-04-2018, 02:04 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Good news, looks like it does not cause memory loss and may even help to prevent Alzheimers.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-04-2018, 02:26 PM

7,241 posts, read 4,552,074 times
I am not sure that the memory loss with Statins leads to dementia / alzheimers only because I believe those are more complicated but I am as sure as I can be believe it involves a milder form of memory loss. This is based on my interactions with many people taking statins vrs people who are not in the workplace. I suspect that the issue is cholesterol. Your mind needs cholesterol...

I don't see how you can take any "study" about statins seriously. Given the cash cow of these drugs and the fact that so many people are in a position to be angry if it turns out they aren't good for you... every incentive is there to "make facts up" so the result makes people happy.

Old 03-04-2018, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Good news, looks like it does not cause memory loss and may even help to prevent Alzheimers.
That's not how I read it...says May cause memory loss.

Old 03-04-2018, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
I am not sure that the memory loss with Statins leads to dementia / alzheimers only because I believe those are more complicated but I am as sure as I can be believe it involves a milder form of memory loss. This is based on my interactions with many people taking statins vrs people who are not in the workplace. I suspect that the issue is cholesterol. Your mind needs cholesterol...

I don't see how you can take any "study" about statins seriously. Given the cash cow of these drugs and the fact that so many people are in a position to be angry if it turns out they aren't good for you... every incentive is there to "make facts up" so the result makes people happy.
Clear thinking, thanks.

Old 03-04-2018, 03:26 PM

22,662 posts, read 24,605,343 times
Probably a whole spectrum of things that can happen to someone taking statins. Some will have overall positive results and little if any downsides. Others will have a lot of negative impacts from taking statins, including memory-problems. And many others will fall somewhere in-between 2 extremes.

The issue I have is, when someone taking statins has negative side-effects, goes to their doctor, and the doctor says it's all in your head or they dismiss the patient's statin-induced pain/problems as a big nothing.

Old 03-04-2018, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Probably a whole spectrum of things that can happen to someone taking statins. Some will have overall positive results and little if any downsides. Others will have a lot of negative impacts from taking statins, including memory-problems. And many others will fall somewhere in-between 2 extremes.

The issue I have is, when someone taking statins has negative side-effects, goes to their doctor, and the doctor says it's all in your head or they dismiss the patient's statin-induced pain/problems as a big nothing.
What else is the doctor going to say? A friend who was on them for about 20 yrs and every time she mentioned to her doctor about issues she had and could it be the statins, he would put more fear in her about cholesterol. She was not on a computer so didn't do all the work many of us do. She believed in doctors. How she feels today, I think she has some doubts...nothing like me though.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 03-04-2018 at 04:50 PM..

Old 03-04-2018, 04:45 PM

1,884 posts, read 1,003,209 times
Take a group of people at risk of poor CoQ10 production (old, heart-diseased), give them an anti-CoQ10 supplement of sorts, and I would be surprised if you didn't experience cognitive symptoms. The brain is among the most mitochondrially-dense organs in the body.

My guess is that statins may have positive effects on memory due to anti-inflammatory effects, increased LDL uptake (yes, you want LDL), and positive effects on blood flow.

Old 03-04-2018, 05:23 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,230,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
That's not how I read it...says May cause memory loss.
Only if you stopped reading after the first paragraph...

From the same article you linked (this is an article and not a study)

"Despite the large amount of research showing that statins do not cause memory loss, some people may still experience this condition"

Also not sure what the comments about your parent's generation has to do with the topic?

So statins weren't around then....neither were many vaccines and other treatments that help people live longer and healthier lives...

If you think Alzheimer's didn't exist back then I suggest you do more research....the condition was first described in 1906.....that doesn't mean it didn't exist before then it just went by other names.

Evidence of senile dementia, a common term used before Alzheimer's, date back to ancient Greece....

I would really like to understand this perception you have that if your parent's didn't know about a disease it didn't exist??? Or perhaps you mean it was just better not to know? I'm really not sure....

https://www.nia.nih.gov/health/alzhe...ase-fact-sheet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness