Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2018, 04:40 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,360,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos View Post
I have intense back itching. Do you have any ideas for stopping it?
When you shower use a back brush laden with moisturizing body wash and scrub thoroughly to remove dead skin cells. Dry your back with a rough towel. If the dry skin cells are not removed regularly hard little islands of dry skin form. They resemble moles but they are a light tan color, flat-topped and itchy. A doctor can freeze them off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2018, 06:50 PM

11,120 posts, read 5,563,675 times
The itch may be from shingles.

Old 12-27-2018, 03:04 AM

149 posts, read 103,716 times
Do not shower more than once a day (if you do, you are drying out your skin's natural oils), and when you do shower, use a moderate temperature. Use a skin cream twice a day. Drink water.

Old 12-27-2018, 06:05 AM

6,874 posts, read 7,852,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
The itch may be from shingles.
That was my thought also. if this itch is new and painful, go to the dr.

Old 12-27-2018, 06:56 AM

23,165 posts, read 26,122,269 times
Long time ago, itch was more like a blow torch and did happen at it's worst after a shower. It was also bad around the hips . Dermatologist
said, shorter, cooler showers, less frequent if possible and a good lotion would help, too. The back is an especially dry area of the body.

Old 12-27-2018, 07:11 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,032,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Buy a back brush. Amazon has them.
Specifically a shower brush.. You need to exfoliate - I have the same problem.

Old 12-27-2018, 10:49 AM

11,987 posts, read 8,324,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
I've had a "hot spot" in between my shoulder blades on the left side for years.

It gets very itchy sometimes and can be very distracting and uncomfortable.

I've asked several doctors including two dermatologists about it and they all blame it on irritated nerves in that area.

They say it's nothing to worry about and suggest cortisone etc, which does nothing.
I had one on the other side for decades. Finally had a dermatologist say it may be due to a spinal quirk and the subsequent nerve response.

Until then it was such a mystery!

Old 12-27-2018, 11:01 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,621,306 times
I read a random blog once on back hygiene. The person said that most people don't seem to know that you need to wash your back, and that if you don't, it is just a mass of dead skin cells. Their description was really gross.

And they advised using a back bath brush. I ordered one right away, and have been using it for years.

I believe that is the problem the OP is describing - just tons of dead skin cells.

Amazon has back bath brushes and they are inexpensive.

Old 12-27-2018, 11:06 AM

7,182 posts, read 5,036,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
I've had a "hot spot" in between my shoulder blades on the left side for years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I had one on the other side for decades. Finally had a dermatologist say it may be due to a spinal quirk and the subsequent nerve response.

Until then it was such a mystery!

Familial radiobrachial pruritus & localized amyloidosis are two conditions under genetic influence that can cause a pruritic neuralgia. Neuroleptics like Neurontin or local injections can treat it.

https://thejns.org/view/journals/j-n...ticle-p118.xml
https://thejns.org/view/journals/j-n...ticle-p118.xml

Any localized irritation of the involved nerve root or branch can result in a chronic pruritus.

Old 12-27-2018, 12:35 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,799,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
When you shower use a back brush laden with moisturizing body wash and scrub thoroughly to remove dead skin cells. Dry your back with a rough towel. If the dry skin cells are not removed regularly hard little islands of dry skin form. They resemble moles but they are a light tan color, flat-topped and itchy. A doctor can freeze them off.
Those are called keritosis and they are super itchy, especially on the back. I used a scrub cloth on my back and then apply lotion when I get out of the shower. I really only get an itchy back in the winter, when the air is dry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness