Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2018, 12:12 PM

6,153 posts, read 4,525,082 times

Advertisements

I thought I had psoriasis, since I get it occasionally elsewhere. I was told years back that I had dry skin from "allowing" shampoo to get in my ears. Anyway, the skin around both ears, and sometimes in them, is flaky and scabby and dry and it just drives me crazy. It finally got where I couldn't hear from one ear and went to the PCP who couldn't clear it.

Off to the ENT, who told me I had eczema, along with very narrow ear canals, but she got them all cleared out and gave me drops for inside and ointment for outside: use for one week. After one week, I had baby's ears. They felt silky and it was a joy to touch them feel smooth skin. However, two weeks later and they are going scabby again. I have a follow-up, but it's basically a hearing test.

What the heck is this skin thing? The meds were steroids and I don't know if that's a long-term solution. Also, my insurance balked at the ointment because of cost and had to have a phone conference with the doctor in order to fill it. Does anyone have this and is it chronic? Or did anyone find a solution?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2018, 04:40 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,886,067 times
My daughter has something like that. It can get pretty bad on the tops of her ears, with deep grooves that stay wet and ooze yellow stuff, along with the flaky skin and itching. We switched her shampoo to Free and Clear, and added a filter to her shower, and her ears have been much, much better since then.

Old 10-14-2018, 10:56 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,846,929 times
If you use perfume or cologne behind your ears, stop in ASAP. I used to have boils all the time until I quit using perfume there. No problems since. Probably isn't the answer to your problems but could be making it worse.

Old 10-14-2018, 11:25 PM

37,115 posts, read 41,292,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
I thought I had psoriasis, since I get it occasionally elsewhere. I was told years back that I had dry skin from "allowing" shampoo to get in my ears. Anyway, the skin around both ears, and sometimes in them, is flaky and scabby and dry and it just drives me crazy. It finally got where I couldn't hear from one ear and went to the PCP who couldn't clear it.

Off to the ENT, who told me I had eczema, along with very narrow ear canals, but she got them all cleared out and gave me drops for inside and ointment for outside: use for one week. After one week, I had baby's ears. They felt silky and it was a joy to touch them feel smooth skin. However, two weeks later and they are going scabby again. I have a follow-up, but it's basically a hearing test.

What the heck is this skin thing? The meds were steroids and I don't know if that's a long-term solution. Also, my insurance balked at the ointment because of cost and had to have a phone conference with the doctor in order to fill it. Does anyone have this and is it chronic? Or did anyone find a solution?
Ask your doctor if you can retreat and then use the medications less frequently to maintain the response.

https://www.healthline.com/health/ear-eczema#symptoms

Old 10-15-2018, 09:01 PM

6,153 posts, read 4,525,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Ask your doctor if you can retreat and then use the medications less frequently to maintain the response.

https://www.healthline.com/health/ear-eczema#symptoms
Thanks for the link. It's right on target and I was going to ask if I could re-use the ointment at my next appointment. I wanted to wait to see her because of the insurance PitA.

SouthernBelle - no perfume, or anything else, and sterling earrings due to base metal being problematic many years ago.

Hedgehog Mom - THAT sounds like psoriasis. It sound miserable.

Old 12-30-2018, 11:55 PM

2 posts, read 1,068 times
Fragrance is a dehydrator. Non Fragrance/ Perfume soaps and shampoo might help. Try Natural Soaps made with essential oils or the Natural Soaps that are fragrance free. I tried so many creams and medicines for my daughter's eczema. Eczema keeps on coming back once you stop using the medications. She had it on her face, her hands, legs, arms every where. For Eczema Mitlow Herbal Salve Helped my daughter a lot. And I like natural solutions for her now. With all these chemicals we were using on her before that it seems that we were fixing one thing and starting something else.

Old 12-31-2018, 01:43 PM

3,695 posts, read 2,416,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post

I have never had eczema but had a similar skin condition - and the most common medicine will be a steroidal cream. Mine was called Trincinolone [sic] at .10%.

Dermatologists will almost always prescribe you a steroidal cream. It works - temporarily.

After you apply it (with your finger) wash your hands with soap and rinse well (2-3 times IMO) because the medicine thins your skin and your body can become addicted to it (if you use it frequently).

Eczema starts in the gut. It's usually diet related and affected people are genetically predisposed to it.

There are lots of youtube videos on eczema.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness