Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 11:46 AM

1,183 posts, read 707,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
That's great about the Taltz and out of curosity I looked it up and now if one doesn't get the possible side effects. Often the s/e are worse than the condition.

You just can't but help get in a silly little dig against real-life medicine every single post you make. GSE is a snake oil that cures everything from blood pressure to arthritis to heart attacks, yet a real life medicine tested on thousands of people and certified for what it actually does is dismissed with a wave of your alt-med hand.

You can look up the side-effects because they are actually tested for and looked for when the medicine is in clinical trials (unlike all your supplements you suggest where no testing has been done).
And unless you are suffering from that person's experience of the disease condition you have absolutely no right to make the subjective call that the side effects are worse than the condition. Its a silly worn out platitude.

The moderator can ban me - but you are the one who continually does this nonsense. Its like a monomania. (I guess GSE doesn't cure that).

As for the poster looking for the vagal nerve stimulation - most of that good work is coming from the Feinstein research institute on Long island. They've had some good results so far and getting it into the clinic is moving forward. The vagus modulates inflammatory mediator activity, so you can control it therapeutically by mimicking natural electrical activity (inhibitory or excitatory).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2019, 07:05 PM

27 posts, read 11,735 times
As for the poster looking for the vagal nerve stimulation - most of that good work is coming from the Feinstein research institute on Long island. They've had some good results so far and getting it into the clinic is moving forward. The vagus modulates inflammatory mediator activity, so you can control it therapeutically by mimicking natural electrical activity (inhibitory or excitatory).[/quote]

Thanks for the information!

Old 02-16-2019, 09:30 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
The other thing that is worth mentioning, that with effective treatment of RA, I can exercise, and with exercise I have less trouble with HBP and BG, and that means I don't have to take meds for those conditions. I also don't have to take the meloxicam.

So by taking one med, it allows to stay off 3 others.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-18-2019, 01:34 AM

7,251 posts, read 5,123,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summrdayz View Post
Here's an article about the study. When I googled it, I saw there was another study done that just ended in December. It will be interesting to see the results of it.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0704223410.htm

Edited to add this scientific article:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4961187/

Thanks for posting that. Who'd have thunk the vagus would have anything to do with the immune system?

OTOH-- I read the NIH study and it has several weaknesses: an "open label study" so placebo effect & investigator bias may have a lot to do with it ...But more importantly---> check out the first graph where they show TNF levels (a)before surgery, (b) after surgery but before they turned it on, and (c) after they turned it on.....

....two pts had very high TNF levels before surgery that then came down a bunch after surgery but before even turning the gizmo on.....If we throw their data out, the other 16 pts don't show any real changes....For the two out-liers, it seems the procedure itself is what worked, not the electrical stimulation itself...????

Needs a lot more research.

If statisticians torture the numbers hard enough, they can get them to confess to anything.

Old 02-18-2019, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Thanks for posting that. Who'd have thunk the vagus would have anything to do with the immune system?...

...Needs a lot more research.

If statisticians torture the numbers hard enough, they can get them to confess to anything.
I agree!

Old 03-08-2019, 04:18 PM

I talked to my doc about the vagus nerve studies and he says they are not promising at all in eliminating RA. Boo.

Old 03-08-2019, 09:09 PM

Boo is right! I was really hoping.

Old 03-09-2019, 09:15 AM

3,122 posts, read 2,066,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I do appreciate your input, and I have gone to two naturopaths and followed their recommendations (before it was this bad).
Actually I first suggested that you ask your present doctor about adaptogens to possibly help with your autoimmune symptoms. I have never been to a naturopath.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27713248

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1978233/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6240259/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post

I actually have a damaged vagus nerve... ideopathic.
Adaptogens could possibly help with this too since stress inflames the nerve.

I know that you are not interested, so not arguing, just putting it out in case others are interested.

Old 03-09-2019, 09:28 AM

3,122 posts, read 2,066,293 times
Autoimmune disorders occur almost exclusively in developed countries, and they are all connected by one biochemical process: an out-of-control immune response resulting in systemic inflammation that causes the body to attack its own tissues.

Newer research findings suggest that the trigger is likely exposure to one or more environmental toxins, an infection, hidden allergens, an inflammatory diet, stress --- or a combination of those resulting in a perfect storm.

Finding the underlying cause(s) can go a long way. In fact, many with autoimmune disorders have done just that and either reversed or greatly improved. My wife is one of them. It requires commitment and the determination to continue until you find answers.

Old 03-09-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
Autoimmune disorders occur almost exclusively in developed countries, and they are all connected by one biochemical process: an out-of-control immune response resulting in systemic inflammation that causes the body to attack its own tissues.

While I'm not sure of exact numbers, RA occurs in almost all countries and has been around since ancient times.

It is certainly not new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness