Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 11:37 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,612,875 times

Advertisements

Im getting tired of being shocked all the time during winter, I also hate that some of my shirts get static cling when I take my coat off. I saw there are little straps you can buy that attach to your ankle and shoe, that dissipate the static, so it never builds up...

BUt it gave me an idea, that I think will work, Im going to take a length of small wire, tape one end of the wire to the skin on my lower calf (just above where the top of my sock sits) and run the wire down and out to the bottom of my shoe, this way, I am basically 'grounded' at all times, if I am thinking this thru right, the static electric should never even build up, because the wire will be attached directly to my skin and as long as my shoes are making contact with the ground, my entire body will be grounded.

(not sure if I need to attach a small metal screw to the bottom of my shoe, for the wire to attach to as well?)

Does this sound like it would work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2019, 05:18 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,211,073 times
Have you iust tried fabric softener for your clothes?

Old 03-06-2019, 05:21 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,386,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Have you iust tried fabric softener for your clothes?
Dreaded chemicals!

Old 03-06-2019, 07:34 AM

3,302 posts, read 3,030,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Im getting tired of being shocked all the time during winter, I also hate that some of my shirts get static cling when I take my coat off. I saw there are little straps you can buy that attach to your ankle and shoe, that dissipate the static, so it never builds up...

BUt it gave me an idea, that I think will work, Im going to take a length of small wire, tape one end of the wire to the skin on my lower calf (just above where the top of my sock sits) and run the wire down and out to the bottom of my shoe, this way, I am basically 'grounded' at all times, if I am thinking this thru right, the static electric should never even build up, because the wire will be attached directly to my skin and as long as my shoes are making contact with the ground, my entire body will be grounded.

(not sure if I need to attach a small metal screw to the bottom of my shoe, for the wire to attach to as well?)

Does this sound like it would work?
I think it could work, but I wouldn't want you walking on any nice floors with a wire and maybe a screw under your entire body weight.

I do understand the absolutely dreadful situation of being someone who readily gets shocks from static. I have a terrible time all winter long, both indoors and when getting out of a vehicle. My solution is to carry a 2-3 inch piece of solder (the type intended for electrical wiring, not plumbing) and at points when I would usually receive a shock, I touch the wire to something metal and it discharges the static without shocking me. When getting out of a vehicle, I keep the calf of my leg in contact with the frame of the car and hold the metal of the door with my gloved hand, which helps dissipate the shock.

BTW, for anyone who is reading this and thinks it isn't a big deal, some people are way more affected by static than others. My DH hardly ever gets static shocks. He didn't really believe I had more of a problem with this than he did, he just thought I was a wuss--until he actually saw and heard the giant "ZAP" and saw about a 1/4 inch arc coming from the light switch I touched after walking across the room one cold winter evening.

Old 03-06-2019, 07:44 AM

8,772 posts, read 5,065,317 times
What you need is a humidifier.

Old 03-06-2019, 07:49 AM

9,869 posts, read 7,743,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
What you need is a humidifier.
Try this. Our house was so dry this year, my blankets were sparking at night. Visible sparks. LOL

We dug out the humidifier and ran it a few nights, all is better.

Old 03-06-2019, 10:47 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,612,875 times
It doesnt happen so much at home, its more when Im out and at work. A coworker suggested I attach the end of the wire to a small capacitor, and this will take and store any charge that builds up, not a bad idea, that way, i dont have to have a screw on the bottom of my shoe.

Old 03-06-2019, 10:49 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,191,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Try this. Our house was so dry this year, my blankets were sparking at night. Visible sparks. LOL

We dug out the humidifier and ran it a few nights, all is better.
That used to happen to us when we lived in Denver. Now we live back in Houston where we have the opposite problem, and I have about 4 humidifiers sitting in a storage closet.

OP, one thing I did was get into the habit of trying to touch things like door handles, car handles etc with my elbows first.

Old 03-06-2019, 11:51 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,769,355 times
OP: Sure sounds like a minor nuisance in the whole scheme of it all.

Old 03-06-2019, 11:53 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,981,341 times
You could try a static strap. They sell them on amazon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness