Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 10:21 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,713,780 times

Advertisements

Many people ARE cured by six months of oral lamisil. The risks are very low. And the med is $20 for the entire six month course at Walmart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2019, 01:43 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,265,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasalPolyps View Post
How much did it cost?

I have to work in boots everyday so for me im almost sure it would return
I believe at the time it was $1500, which I thought was ridiculous at the time because it was literally a few minutes of treatment. But I was tired of dealing with it, and the money was sitting in my HSA.

The working in boots really has nothing to do with it. You would probably do best to have a new pair ready for post-treatment, but I didn't really get rid of any of my shoes. I did everything I could to get rid of the fungus around my house - bleached the showers and my bathroom and treated all my shoes repeatedly with antifungal powders/sprays.

I treated my toes every day with antifungal creams as well, and returned for follow-up appointments during which the doctor would file down the nails so they could absorb the antifungals better. It was all relatively simple and I have been pleased with the results.

Old 01-06-2019, 10:12 AM

87,982 posts, read 83,805,998 times
I got the series of laser treatments, and that took care of it. However, the podiatrist said that while laser is the most effective treatment, it isn't 100%, so he hit it with all three--laser treatments (I think there were four), the oral med for a brief time, and the topical medication.

The laser treatment was about $600 and not covered by insurance. The meds were covered by my insurance, and my co-pay is very small ($2 for generic, $5 for name-brand). I was shocked when I saw on my EOB that the tiny bottle of topical stuff goes for $1000.

I had the fungus on my big toenail for years before I could afford to get the laser treatment done. The nail got very thick and white and ridged, so what I would do is periodically grind it down with the Pedi-Paws nail grinder I bought to use on my cats. None of them would let me near their claws with it, so it wasn't a waste of money once I realized I could use it on myself.

Old 01-06-2019, 03:41 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,422,700 times
Maybe I am off base but what about soaking it in chlorine bleach? I had a friend do that for athletes foot. I just googled it and it looks like one of the remedies for this issue. I would probably soak it in pure chlorine bleach and not dilute it and then rinse after awhile. Bleach is a powerful anti fungal.

Old 01-06-2019, 08:12 PM

171 posts, read 140,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
Maybe I am off base but what about soaking it in chlorine bleach? I had a friend do that for athletes foot. I just googled it and it looks like one of the remedies for this issue. I would probably soak it in pure chlorine bleach and not dilute it and then rinse after awhile. Bleach is a powerful anti fungal.

Its not going to do much, if anything, you're damaging your skin. The problem with nail fungus is that it has infected the nail matrix, the tissue which lies below the nail. Nothing, except the medication and laser can get there. Medication is absorbed systemically and flushed out through your pores, urine, tissues, pretty much your whole body, and that's how it gets in the nail matrix and kills the fungus.

Laser supposedly can go through the skin, nail and kill the fungus in the matrix.

See in this picture how of much of a distance exists between the matrix and the cuticle. Soaking with whatever chemical, applying any product, is not going to touch the nail matrix.

Removing the whole nail, will not affect the nail matrix, where the infection is, thus, the new nail will very likely have the fungus again. The nail matrix is the tissue under the nail that it rests on.

This is what most people don't understand, it is not really the nail that has been infected, is the tissue under the nail, the matrix. The infected nail is just a consequence of an infected nail matrix.

You can remove the whole nail and the doctor apply an acid which will burn the matrix permanently, this will solve the problem, but you will never grow a nail back again.

Once you understand these concepts, you realize how futile everything is except for medication, laser or complete nail removal with permanent destruction of the matrix. Medication and laser will cure it, but again, there is no guarantee that you won't get reinfected as is very easy, considering the nature of feet and how they are always in moisture, dark environment, shower floors, sandals, different shoes, you are always on your feet, walking, unlike the hands.

In summary, is our very own physiology which prevents us from being cured from this infection. If we didn't have nail matrix under the nail, where the fungus can hide, it would be easily curable. This is why athlete foot is easily curable, as there is no place for the fungus to hide.

Last edited by NasalPolyps; 01-06-2019 at 08:23 PM..

Old 01-07-2019, 03:24 PM

224 posts, read 292,705 times
Looking at the posts I thought I would see this but I did not. Soak your foot with the toenails covered (submerged) in a solution of one half vinegar and one half mouthwash (Listerine type). Make sure toes are completely covered. Soak for at least for one half hour. (Read a book or something) Do this every two to three days for a while. I use white vinegar (5% acidity) and Listerine type mouthwash from WalMart.

Old 07-04-2019, 09:18 AM

1,026 posts, read 1,507,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasalPolyps View Post
Unless you're a female or someone who needs to show off feet, like no man ever, just cut and file nails, maybe apply some spray to keep it from getting worse and forget about it, sure, it will look ugly when you reveal those suckers but who cares, is just cosmetic

I never take off my socks when it comes to intimate time and if they ask why, I would just say I have athletes foot from playing soccer, better than saying i have nail fungus which is nastier lmao

I never go to the beach or pool, but if I were to go, I don't think other people would give a damn, and if they do, well, that's their problem, nobody is perfect
I didn't either at first (of course it's easier to do in fall/winter, as I can just say "my feet are cold" lol - plus some fuzzy winter socks would be cute, right? lol ). then, I would just paint them and hope they don't notice.

same thing if I go swimming - which I didn't even start until college when I took a swimming class. I was finally just like, F it - I'm just gonna paint them, and hope no one notices. It's not like people are really going to be looking that close anyway at the pool...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
Women can be really picky, can't they? I should ask in the relationship forum if nasty nails are a deal breaker.
I was thinking about that also, but...don't really wanna know the answer, or have something else for people to insult me about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
Socks would be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Being female, I can just buy pretty nail polish to cover up the nasty stuff!
Ikr!? lol they also make fake nails, which I thought about trying, but, seems like they would come off easily, and since they say not to use nail polish, then that would be worse if they came off...plus I don't even know if they would work anyway, with such deformed nails. you'd think they could come up with some kind of solution to camouflage them, if they can't find a cure by now like semi-permanent fake nails - like acrylic nails. I wonder if those would work?

Old 07-04-2019, 09:31 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,857,051 times
Oh no, OP! You should have started treatment sooner. I got a couple of dots of toenail fungus on two toes years ago. They were very small. I went to the primary care doctor immediately. He said, "Just put nail polish on them." I said, "No way! It's gross. I want it GONE." I live in a hot humid climate and always wore tennis shoes. He said, "I'll write you for this prescription antifungal nail polish but it's expensive." I said, "I don't care. If I don't treat it now it will get worse." At the time it was $16/bottle. I put it on my toenails three times a day. After four months it went away. I then wore flip flops a lot and made sure I dried my feet thoroughly after showering. I never got it again. I don't think that will help you OP because the nail polishes only help if you have very mild toenail fungus, though.

Old 07-04-2019, 06:17 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,557,815 times
I don't know who's looking for help here but..a podiatrist told a friend to soak the toe(s) in lightly diluted clorox a couple times daily. Bleach does a job on fungus.

Also someone mentioned the urine therapy, I did this for my toe also my own urine and amazing how that works.

I've done both these with a toe that started giving me problems about 15 yrs ago, I'm fine now.

No costly treatments here.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 07-04-2019 at 06:41 PM..

Old 07-07-2019, 12:39 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,173,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
Moderator cut: removed rude comments to poster

Bleach should not be applied to skin.....Ever

Certainly not straight bleach nor diluted for that matter

Last edited by in_newengland; 07-07-2019 at 02:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness