Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 03:31 PM

7,238 posts, read 5,114,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
"People who live at high altitudes may experience increased migraine prevalence, duration, and severity of symptoms, according to results from a population-based study conducted in Nepal and published in the European Journal of Neurology.1"

https://www.neurologyadvisor.com/mig...rticle/685724/

Interesting study. They found less problem with migraines at the highest altitudes--maybe they had such bad problems they moved to lower levels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubystandingDEER View Post
guidoLaMoto
I used to use imitrex and it worked, however it nearly gave me a heart attack and the Doc took me off it.
Then I went on Demorel, which made me feel wonderful, but I kept getting rebounds that were worse than the original pain and I would go back for another shot. STUPID crap to use!

I used to inject DHE till the same thing with my heart started up again. I have been on everything they have had to offer. THE one thing that works for me is Lorazepam. BUT! My Doc says it "does not relieve pain." Bull crap. It helps me, but I am being weaned off it, the only thing that works for me.

Mild narcotics (codeine or hydrocodone) work very well for the vast majority of migraine sufferers. Demerol can be good stuff (far out, man!) Rebound is always a consideration with narcotics. Your tranquilizer worked indirectly...but who cares why ...as long as it works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2019, 05:48 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,093,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Mine are triggered by a noticeable change in air pressure. When I lived along the gulf coast I'd get a migraine when a hurricane or tropical storm was forming nearby (relatively speaking)
Me too; mine are related to low fronts moving in. Once the front has made it over the continental divide & we start seeing snow (in winter) or thunderstorms (summer), it will start to ease up. Until then my head feels like it was ran over by a concrete mixer.

I do live at 7,000 ft; hadn’t related the two.

Old 01-11-2019, 06:00 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Interesting study. They found less problem with migraines at the highest altitudes--maybe they had such bad problems they moved to lower levels?
People "native" to such high elevations have some physiological adaptations including enhanced ability/efficiency for oxygen exchange. Maybe one of the benefits includes resistance to migraines.

Old 01-11-2019, 07:31 PM

7,024 posts, read 4,887,277 times
I just wanted to let people know about something they might have missed.

My mom suffered from "migraines" as long as I could remember and she said she'd had them since she was a child. She'd get severe pain and nausea, throw up and spend the day lying down. Aspirin or other medications never helped. She was about 55 when she saw a new doctor who thought she might have a hole in her eardrum. They checked it out, she did, and they fixed it. She hasn't had a "migraine" since then.

Anyway, I just wanted to let people know because although I think it's a one in a million shot, it would be awful if something like this wasn't checked and a simple fix could help the pain. My mother had seen umpteen doctors up to that point, so it's not like it was easily caught.

The other thing I was going to mention is that I looked up a lot of stuff on headaches about 30 years ago. I'm sure there's more knowledge now, but Dr. Seymour Diamond is known as the Godfather of Headaches because of his knowledge and research on headaches and I read a couple of his books. They're very interesting and he covers all kinds of headaches. One thing I found out is that there are headache clinics, something I'd never heard of before. It might be something worth checking into.

Old 01-11-2019, 07:44 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Mine are triggered by a noticeable change in air pressure. When I lived along the gulf coast I'd get a migraine when a hurricane or tropical storm was forming nearby (relatively speaking)
I have a friend in Texas Hill Country who has migraines with weather changes. Barometric pressure drop?
My migraines were part of pms. Every month but not until after my 2nd child and I was about 40. Thank goodness that's over. If I could catch them in time Excedrin Migraine would help. If not, dark room, fetal position, no noise until I either threw up or feel asleep.
Bugs me when people walk around saying "I have the worst migraine!" Um...no. No you don't.

Old 01-11-2019, 10:49 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
For you who think it's the air pressure-- will Imitrex or others like that relieve your migraines? I'll stand corrected about the effect of air pressure if they do.
Mine have never been severe enough to send me to the hospital, but it is one sided, as though someone has taken a large, hot, sharp needle and stabbed it through my eye to the back of my head. I'm not sure what a migraine aura is supposed to be but I become very light sensitive as if the light is sharp, and easily shattered in an almost physical sense. I become very nauseated. My cure is to crawl into bed and pull the covers over my head and most importantly not move, because every tiny movement sends waves of pain and nausea through me. Eventually I fall asleep and when I wake I feel rough but the headache is usually gone.
I hear people say they work through migraines, drive, etc. Personally I don't see how that's possible, in my experience my migraines are incapacitating.

I didn't get my first migraine until I was in my early twenties and moved to the gulf coast, where I experienced them on a fairly regular basis, mostly associated with hurricanes/storms. Then I moved to Memphis and had fewer migraines. When I moved to east TN my migraines mostly went away, I suspect because there is very little here in the way of drastic storms with big changes in air pressure.

Old 01-12-2019, 06:50 AM

1,142 posts, read 1,141,637 times
No one has asked yet, but doing Yogic breathing exercises like "anulom vilom" reduces migraine attacks.
And no, practising it will not convert you to a Hindu.

Old 01-12-2019, 07:12 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Migraines are triggered by a multitude of factors, including weather. Rainy weather seems to aggravate them for a lot of people, as does stress, alcohol, lack of sleep, head injuries, and menstruation. Relief can be had in many ways. Rescue medicines plus an ice pack is the most effective remedy for mine.

Old 01-12-2019, 07:22 AM

3,121 posts, read 2,063,897 times
Quote:

It is interesting because all the participants were native and adapted to other high elevations. Maybe those at the highest didn't complain as much to researchers. Or, since migraine prevalence increases with elevation, maybe they use something to reduce symptoms in order to tolerate dwelling there. Maybe they have a different diet, or have something up there they use to reduce severity and frequency of migraines. Like feverfew or the equivalent. Migraine sufferers in the UK and elsewhere use daily standardized doses of feverfew to reduce the frequency and severity of migraines (efficacy confirmed in studies since the 1980s). Some report eliminating them entirely. They warn that if stopped suddenly, symptoms are worse, so slow weaning is necessary.

I don't get migraines but the topic intrigues me because I can't go to the mountains anymore. Joint pain is unbearable at higher elevations. This problem began about 1.5 years ago. OTC pain relievers don't even make a dent in the pain. The barometric pressure is lower at higher elevations which causes tissues to expand and puts pressure on joints causing pain. That seems to be the cause for me. This could be the reason for migraines at high elevations as well. When I get back down to below 1000 feet, the pain disappears as if by magic.

Old 01-12-2019, 07:53 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,835,336 times
Mine are triggered by insufficient sleep or stress or the combination of the two. Someone waking me up in the middle of the night when I am in deep sleep and then not being able to go back to sleep will trigger one almost every single time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness