U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 03:08 PM

6,079 posts, read 3,984,377 times

Advertisements

Had some hearing loss in my left ear recently and couldn't figure it out. Put some ear drops in (the oily kind), and it made things worse.

Cleaned with q-tips, nothing. Finally setup an appointment (same day), and the doctor puts some peroxide mixed with water in my ear. Super nice bubbly, tickly feeling.

Afterwards he pulls out a piece of wax the size of an M&M.

I asked him afterward how could that happen? I clean my ear's religiously. He says it's natural, and he recommended just coming to see him every 6-12 months for a cleaning.

Anyone go to their ENT doctor for regular cleanings?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2019, 03:14 PM

29,245 posts, read 13,597,260 times
Wow, that's a big pc of wax. I normally use a qtip and add some hydrogen peroxide to the tip and do my own cleaning. My ears are clear and hearing good. No ENT docs here. Those old timer docs (mom) knew their stuff.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 01-25-2019 at 04:11 PM..

Old 01-25-2019, 03:34 PM

16,293 posts, read 9,953,059 times
After you put the solution in your ear did you also flush it? Might have been the missing step. Sometimes the solution alone isn't enough.

Many years ago had a similar loss of hearing in one ear and went to the college campus nurse. She used the peroxide/warm water solution and a syringe flush to clean it out. A lot of hard wax removed. She examined both ears and explained that the shape of one canal was kinked/angled a little differently making it harder for wax to work its way out on its own. She showed me how to lubricate and flush it. Done it myself ever since. .

Old 01-25-2019, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
After you put the solution in your ear did you also flush it? Might have been the missing step. Sometimes the solution alone isn't enough.

Many years ago had a similar loss of hearing in one ear and went to the college campus nurse. She used the peroxide/warm water solution and a syringe flush to clean it out. A lot of hard wax removed. She examined both ears and explained that the shape of one canal was kinked/angled a little differently making it harder for wax to work its way out on its own. She showed me how to lubricate and flush it. Done it myself ever since. .
I tried the flushing when I started getting the hearing loss, but it was with the oily drops. I haven't tried it with peroxide, but now I will every so often just to keep everything clear.

Old 01-25-2019, 04:08 PM

16,293 posts, read 9,953,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
I tried the flushing when I started getting the hearing loss, but it was with the oily drops. I haven't tried it with peroxide, but now I will every so often just to keep everything clear.
There are various solutions you can try...opinions vary. You can overdo it too. I've used OTC Debrox that has a peroxide and lubricant solution for decades. In my experience, the peroxide helps soften the surface of the wax more quickly which probably helps the syringe flush dislodge it more easily. I only flush them when I get that stuffy reduced hearing effect. When it clears I'm often surprised how clear the world sounds! Feels so good too. It's almost always the same ear.

Old 01-25-2019, 04:38 PM

3,638 posts, read 3,089,998 times
Have you ever watched how they used to pack gun powder in cannons? When they took that big "Q-tip" and pushed it down the barrel. Well, that's what you do with ear wax when you use Q-tips.

You can buy a bulb syringe (looks like a mini turkey baster) that you can flush your ears with lukewarm water while in the shower. Save a trip to the ENT.

Old 01-25-2019, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
Have you ever watched how they used to pack gun powder in cannons? When they took that big "Q-tip" and pushed it down the barrel. Well, that's what you do with ear wax when you use Q-tips.

You can buy a bulb syringe (looks like a mini turkey baster) that you can flush your ears with lukewarm water while in the shower. Save a trip to the ENT.
Good idea!

Old 01-25-2019, 06:07 PM

20,045 posts, read 20,853,219 times
You can just lay down on the sofa, in front of the TV, and do the same thing.

It's just basically greasy wax, liquid-soap or peroxide left in there for a while will break it down, then you can easily flush it out with a bulb thingy made for cleaning ears.

Old 01-25-2019, 06:36 PM

9,446 posts, read 5,571,095 times
My brother in law has to either clean his ears himself or go to eh ENT regularly. It's not unusual.

Old 01-25-2019, 11:22 PM

110 posts, read 29,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth
Wow, that's a big pc of wax. I normally use a qtip and add some hydrogen peroxide to the tip and do my own cleaning. My ears are clear and hearing good. No ENT docs here. Those old timer docs (mom) knew their stuff.
Be careful though..... Not good using a QTIP as you can just push the stuff further in....

My ears constantly get filled..... I have a ball thing I use to try and get some out if not all.....

Why do our ears get wax in them?? Is it a protective thing??

Very annoying and confusing

I hope you feel better CaliRestoration
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness