Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 04:13 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,259,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
My wife had a total knee replacement on her right knee several years ago with an Orthopedic surgeon she and I both trust completely. He explained the procedure in great detail. She X-rays but no MRI. Her right knee is still great, but her left knee needs done. We saw the same surgeon yesterday and the procedure should be the same with some improvements. It's SO important to have confidence in the person who is going to do the work. We lucked out and are very thankful for that. His name is Dr. Federov in Eugene, Oregon.
I'm curious. When you say the procedure should be the same "with some improvements," what does that mean? What improvements?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2019, 04:35 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,225,081 times
There is almost never a reason to do a MRI prior to hip or knee replacement.

A plain x ray provides all the imaging data that is needed.

Old 02-01-2019, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
There is almost never a reason to do a MRI prior to hip or knee replacement.

A plain x ray provides all the imaging data that is needed.
The only fear I have is that I have problems with a tendon or something that which bothers me on the knee. I also wonder if I have enough strength to hold whatever they put on the bone to sustain it.

Old 02-01-2019, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I never asked the surgeon Why the groin had all the bone spurs, left groin was smooth. Have to guess that's how the arthritis has manifested on my dominant side.
So just curious. Were the bone spurs on the side you slept on, or on the other side, assuming you like to sleep on your side?

Old 02-01-2019, 05:15 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
The only fear I have is that I have problems with a tendon or something that which bothers me on the knee. I also wonder if I have enough strength to hold whatever they put on the bone to sustain it.
If you are walking out of balance for a long period of time in order to favor one hurting joint (like either knee) it can end up causing extra wear on another joint (like either hip). None of our joints function in isolation...they affect each other. Muscle, ligament, and tendon problems play into joint injuries just as bone does. We are a "system" of parts that work together.

As for bone "strength", do you have osteoporosis? Have you had a bone density test to rule it out?

Old 02-01-2019, 05:52 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Quote:
So just curious. Were the bone spurs on the side you slept on, or on the other side, assuming you like to sleep on your side?
The spurs were on the inside of the groin, when looking at the body and knowing the groin area, on the inside. I used to sleep on my side and for years now I sleep only on back..I can't sleep on the replacement side that's for sure. Now wait the groin is the groin, I'd have to have a pic of it besides in my mind.

Old 02-01-2019, 06:22 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
The last surgeon who spoke to us like that messed up my husband's shoulder surgery. While that is certainly not indicative of your outcome, and I don't need a lot of positive bedside manner, I am not keen on doctors who do not answer questions. My comfort level with procedures is important.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-01-2019, 07:59 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,219,107 times
Quote:
Thanks. While I have a relative in Eugene, I'm not going to Eugene right now. But it's nice to know, and yes, your post is very reassuring that I'm not crazy. Entirely crazy.

yes, I figured you weren't close to us. But if you were I would highly recommend him. No, you are not crazy! I hope you get a surgeon you have faith in, who does right by you.

Good luck!

Old 02-02-2019, 04:43 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
I went to orthopedic surgeon yesterday, and was told I need a knee replacement. I have virtually no cartilage left, it's bone-on-bone so he said. He showed me x-rays and tried to explain but then got upset when I interrupted him for an explanation of something. (Oh, well...) Meantime, he said both knees AND a hip need replacements because on a scale from 1 to 10, 10 being the worst, they were all #10. He then more or less finished the discussion. I am very, very nervous about this. I am 75. It's hard for me to walk.
So here is my question: I was told he does not take an MRI, that is not his "protocol." The X-ray is all he goes by. I wonder about this. Especially since I told him that I was having tendon problems. What are your thoughts about this? (By the time I figure this out, they'll probably tell me I'm too old for surgery...<g>)
I agree that you should get a 2nd opinion on everything, thyroid too.

As to having actual surgery? I'd really proceed with caution because of your age and I'll tell you why. My old neighbor had a lady friend not much older then you. She suffered bad with hip pain, ended up going to get it fixed, was deceased before one year after surgery. After her burial, my elderly neighbor was moving his stuff home, tripped going into his house. They thought he would die but he pulled thru. He came to stay with me about a month or so, I had moved away but we were still friends. He had no where to go as his niece didn't want to care for him. We had multiple medical professionals come to my house to see him. He had a bad knee, the PT guy told him at his age (80's) the odds of not dying within one year were not good. I wish I could recall what he said about why elderly people die within a year of major surgery but it turned out to be true. My elderly neighbor went home, he ended up in the hospital again, for some strange reason they gave him a pace maker. Wouldn't you know it he was gone within one month of surgery just like his lady friend.

I don't know what the odds are for people your age to have a successful surgery and go back to life. Perhaps you can look around or ask your next doctor how much experience they have with patients your age and what the odds are.

Old 02-02-2019, 05:57 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
I went to orthopedic surgeon yesterday, and was told I need a knee replacement. I have virtually no cartilage left, it's bone-on-bone so he said. He showed me x-rays and tried to explain but then got upset when I interrupted him for an explanation of something. (Oh, well...) Meantime, he said both knees AND a hip need replacements because on a scale from 1 to 10, 10 being the worst, they were all #10. He then more or less finished the discussion. I am very, very nervous about this. I am 75. It's hard for me to walk.
So here is my question: I was told he does not take an MRI, that is not his "protocol." The X-ray is all he goes by. I wonder about this. Especially since I told him that I was having tendon problems. What are your thoughts about this? (By the time I figure this out, they'll probably tell me I'm too old for surgery...<g>)
He sounds like my orthopedic doctor who I just love. I was in my mid 70s when it became obvious I needed a knee replacement. I choose the time as my knee kept getting worse, I did not even ask for an MRI and I have never regretted my decision. Our daughter how is only 59 has had one done and will have the other in the next 5 years or so. She uses the same orthopedic doctor. In fact she referred me to him. Believe me, after the first few weeks you will be so happy.

Of course if you are not comfortable with him get another opinion. I will say, most of those I have known and there have been many at my age, have not had an MRI for a knee replacement. Maybe it is different in different parts of the country. I also know medi care and supp insurance has started cracking down on what they will pay for MRIs unless they are really needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness