Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 02:53 PM

8,229 posts, read 3,414,544 times

Advertisements

I don't wear any tight clothes because I don't like them, not primarily because of health. But it seems that many Americans do wear something or other that is tight, and who knows maybe there are health consequences.

There was a book Dressed to Kill that claimed bras can cause breast cancer. The reasoning is that they are tight and restrict lymph circulation, which interferes with the body's toxin removal and can lead to cancer.

This idea has been vehemently denied by mainstream medicine. They say there is no way bras could cause cancer, since cancer has causes other than toxins. (Huh, wait, don't we know that toxins are one possible cause of cancer?)

There was one study that supposedly showed bras don't cause breast cancer. However, there was no control group of women who don't wear bras. Almost all women in industrialized societies wear them, so there is no one to compare to.

There has, supposedly, been a lot of research comparing women in traditional societies, who do not wear bras, to women in industrialized societies, and supposedly it does show a connection between bras and breast cancer. However someone could say there are other important differences between traditional and industrial lifestyles.

To me, it seems like common sense that tight bands around your ribs would somehow interfere with health. It's also true that breast cancer seems to be epidemic now.

So I don't know, I just wonder. You would think that lymph circulation is something that should not be interfered with. Not to mention breathing.

Predictably, Science Based Medicine comes down on the side of mainstream medicine, as always. They flatly deny any possibility of any connection between bras and breast cancer. But how can they be so certain?

I think most women have finally admitted that high heel shoes are bad for health, and corsets aren't mandatory anymore. But women love their bras.

Old 02-03-2019, 02:56 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,974,750 times
If your bra is tight, you are wearing the wrong size.

Old 02-03-2019, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
If your bra is tight, you are wearing the wrong size.
They are designed so they have to be tight to stay on. Look around, almost every women has straps digging into their backs.

Old 02-03-2019, 02:59 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,974,750 times
Then they're wearing the wrong size. They don't have to be tight to stay on, mine have never been tight, and they stay on just fine.

Old 02-03-2019, 03:02 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Geezzzz hard to figure out what side you're on....I do love my bra. Women who wear tight bras that they can't wait to get off are wearing the wrong size. Mine fits well and I don't even know it's on and omg its an underwire too - and no, I've never been worried about any health issues - lymph-related, cancer, or otherwise because of my bra.

Since women don't wear girdles any more maybe they could just do a correlational study of cancer rates from the '40's compared to now and get some conclusive findings.

I wonder if you can get cancer from wearing tight socks - especially like guys do (those short mid calf ones) or maybe because of their jock straps? I can see that causing testicular cancer. Have there been any studies done for that?

Old 02-03-2019, 03:07 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post

I wonder if you can get cancer from wearing tight socks - especially like guys do (those short mid calf ones) or maybe because of their jock straps? I can see that causing testicular cancer. Have there been any studies done for that?
I'd suggest that there is a huge amount of territory between "causing" and "contributing to" in scenarios like these. Millions of men wear straps...millions of them don't get testicular cancer. Again, there's that horrible old thing called anecdote or coincidence. We also love assigning blame to villains so we can stop wondering and worrying about why things happen. In the bc support groups I attended there were women who never wore bras tight or otherwise because their breasts were small or they simply didn't like them. Wearing a bra had nothing to do with their cancer diagnosis.

Last edited by Parnassia; 02-03-2019 at 03:16 PM..

Old 02-03-2019, 03:12 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
I never loved my bras and they were the first thing to come off after a day out at work and being in the public etc etc etc.

Being in the hospital in 2010 for hip replacement and in hospital gowns and no undergarments was a real eye opener for me. Freedom under that gown. Body breathing, non constricted.

I have not worn a bra since I came home almost 9 yrs ago and Love love love my choice.

When I think of the years of picking and buying and wearing bras -- good lord. I'm still finding some in drawers that need to go.

Freedom and tossing the bras. Whether there is a cancer connection, don't know, but I don't miss the contraption.

Old 02-03-2019, 03:29 PM

48,515 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Breast cancer stats are pretty consistent going back a over decade, there is not an epidemic.

Breast cancer deaths are down.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-03-2019, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
I'd suggest that there is a huge amount of territory between "causing" and "contributing to" in scenarios like these. Millions of men wear straps...millions of them don't get testicular cancer. Again, there's that horrible old thing called anecdote or coincidence. We also love assigning blame to villains so we can stop wondering and worrying about why things happen. In the bc support groups I attended there were women who never wore bras tight or otherwise because their breasts were small or they simply didn't like them. Wearing a bra had nothing to do with their cancer diagnosis.
It would require formal controlled research to find out. You can always find exceptions. The theory is about general tendencies, which the authors of Dressed to Kill claimed to have found. They were slammed by mainstream medicine, but no real attempt was made to find out the truth.

Old 02-03-2019, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I never loved my bras and they were the first thing to come off after a day out at work and being in the public etc etc etc.

Being in the hospital in 2010 for hip replacement and in hospital gowns and no undergarments was a real eye opener for me. Freedom under that gown. Body breathing, non constricted.

I have not worn a bra since I came home almost 9 yrs ago and Love love love my choice.

When I think of the years of picking and buying and wearing bras -- good lord. I'm still finding some in drawers that need to go.

Freedom and tossing the bras. Whether there is a cancer connection, don't know, but I don't miss the contraption.
They are awful, very badly designed. It would be possible to design bras that don't have to be tight. But obviously men design them.

The easiest solution is to wear camisoles -- they can be very inexpensive, and no one can tell it isn't a bra. Yet they don't squeeze you anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness