Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 09:12 PM

111 posts, read 68,662 times

Advertisements

My docs are telling me I need full replacment surgery on BOTH knees. I'm not too keen on going under the knife and having part of my quad tendon cut to accommodate the plastic and titanium parts.

I'm currently exercising at the YMCA, trying to lose weight and strengthen my hamstrings and quads. I'm in my mid-50s. Should I consider paying out of pocket $$$$ of dollars for Prolotherapy?

Has anyone out here in the Philly-NJ area have this alternative doner over undergoing full knee replacment surgery?

What were the results?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2019, 10:22 PM

17,569 posts, read 13,344,160 times
Look at the PRP post below this one on evidence based science...Stem Cell and Prolo studies are much harder to find and more inconclusive

Frankly. if it was me, I would go for the TKR

Old 02-03-2019, 10:29 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
OP: I'm one here who is trying to save my knee from a TKR, surgeon never said "you need" but it's pretty damaged from another issue and then a arthroscopic surgery I believe.

I've had regular Prolo on shoulder years ago and got 3 yrs of no pain and then injections of the same stuff in my knee and unfortunately the D.O. hit a spot and I believe it gave me a staph infection, long story I've talked about here.

I don't want my knee cut up and metal and plastic either so I'm holding off for more Prolo and I'm seeing the DO in a couple weeks to discuss things.

Whatever you end up doing, the quad work and weight loss is important.

This work usually takes more than one session and since it's costly people quit perhaps too soon and end up doing TKR. And still end up with pain and issues...I know some personally.

Old 02-04-2019, 12:55 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,658,899 times
I have not had stem cell but had prolotherapy on both knees. I had three treatments on the knee with a torn meniscus and two on the other that has early signs of arthritis. It was fairly inexpensive, but I received no benefit. I've also had the Hyaluronan injections in my knee. I've tried this numerous times with different brands such as Synvisc and Euflexxa. The prolotherapy is more painful that the Hyaluronan injections since they poke your joints numerous times as opposed to the one injection.

My brother had both knees replaced last summer and is very happy with the results. He is 61.

Old 02-04-2019, 05:24 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Here are couple good reads and I can relate.

https://www.stemcures.com/2019/01/21...-for-patients/

https://stemcellthemagazine.com/2017...e-replacement/

Last edited by jaminhealth; 02-04-2019 at 06:44 PM..

Old 02-05-2019, 05:23 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Have had 2 friends who have had stem cell. In both cases they ended up having TKR. Both are sorry they wasted their money. It is a matter of opinion and everyone is different but I would opt for TKR, Except for the few weeks of pain and the PT it was not bad at all and I am so happy I choose TKR.

Old 02-05-2019, 07:43 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,803,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Have had 2 friends who have had stem cell. In both cases they ended up having TKR. Both are sorry they wasted their money. It is a matter of opinion and everyone is different but I would opt for TKR, Except for the few weeks of pain and the PT it was not bad at all and I am so happy I choose TKR.
Me too. A good friend is now in the position of having both knees replaced at the same time (they only do this when neither knee is strong enough for PT) after wasting 9 months and a lot of money on stem cell treatment that did nothing for her. Now she can’t walk at all and is in a wheelchair until she has TKR. She’s sorry she didn’t listen to her ortho and have her knees replaced while she was still mobile.

Old 02-05-2019, 09:00 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times
Stem cell treatment has so far been unproven to solve much of anything. If you are unsure about your diagnosis go to another doctor for a second opinion.

Old 02-05-2019, 09:26 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,330,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Stem cell treatment has so far been unproven to solve much of anything. If you are unsure about your diagnosis go to another doctor for a second opinion.
I thought I read the big issue of it not working is using one's own stem cells, where patients are already in their 50's, 60's, 70's, etc. and their stem cells are not as ideal as say when you are in your 20's.

That's why I thought an interesting business idea (which might already be out there) is to allow people to harvest their stem cells from their bone marrow, fat tissue, or blood when they are in their 20's and healthy and store them in LN2, then the client is charged x amount of dollars per year. You are basically "hedging your bet" that you won't need them in 40 or 50 years, but if you do, you will have them to use.

An interesting experiment would be to take someone's stem cells, while in their 20's, store them and say when they are in their 60's or 70's and have equally arthritic knees, harvest current stem cells and use that on one knee and use the cells that were harvested 40 or 50 years ago on the other and see if their is a difference?

Old 02-05-2019, 10:04 AM

17,569 posts, read 13,344,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I've had regular Prolo on shoulder years ago and got 3 yrs of no pain and then injections of the same stuff in my knee and unfortunately the D.O. hit a spot and I believe it gave me a staph infection, long story I've talked about here.
There is no "spot" unfortunately for you, your D.O. didn't use proper procedures to clean and sanitize the injection site and therefore forced bacteria form the skin into your knee where the infection took over

OR, and in reading up on PRP, Stem Cell and Prolo, there is more evidence regarding poor sanitary procedures in formulating the product to be injected. Prolo like steroids is a compounded product and poor sanitary conditions can be disastrous

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_En...gitis_outbreak

There was a lawsuit against a clinic that continued to reuse syringes and needles without proper sterilization

This can happen with ANY medical procedure

At the present time, I would not undergo any of these treatments. I am waiting for more conclusive medical studies. I posted a synopsis on on current findings earlier on this forum
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness