Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2019, 11:18 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,293,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post
Weed does not cause schizophrenia.

Yes it does!

No, it doesn’t!

Yes it does!

No it doesn’t!

Ok, I’m done.

Good summary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2019, 01:10 PM

2,893 posts, read 2,143,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
Nobody really knows what smoking pot does to your lungs
You shouldn't assume smoking a joint is harmless.

By Kat Eschner October 23, 2018

“It is generally true that marijuana smoke is just as toxic as cigarette smoke,” Samuel Wilkinson, a resident physician at the Yale School of Medicine, told Popular Science in an email interview. “However, generally people expose themselves to less marijuana smoke,” he wrote. “It’s rare that someone smokes 20 joints per day, but it’s common that someone smokes a pack per day of cigarettes, which is 20 cigarettes.”

https://www.popsci.com/smoking-weed-lung-cancer

Average pot user consumes 123 joints annually.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...ate-estimates/

edibles

Old 02-12-2019, 01:16 PM

2,893 posts, read 2,143,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
The big pharma companies are starting to make deals with the marijuana people now, I just read about drug company Novatoris, how they are in talks with Tilray, said to be one the largest legal pot companies.

If there is money to be made, you can bet the pharma companies will jump onboard, they may have tried for awhile to stop or slow legalization down, but it seems they are starting to recognize how much they could make if they jump on the wagon.
there is money to be made. the dispensaries make money now, so what? i thought we all like capitalism? ugh, i cannot keep up which day we like it and which day we don't.

Old 02-12-2019, 03:55 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,293,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
there is money to be made. the dispensaries make money now, so what? i thought we all like capitalism? ugh, i cannot keep up which day we like it and which day we don't.

I don't know how it's working out in other states, but in Washington, the government is picking the winners and losers. Since recreational marijuana became legal, the dispensaries have closed, and the new shops focus on recreational, with a little medicinal section if they want to. The government decides who gets to grow and who gets to sell. That's not really capitalism.

Oops. Off topic.

Old 02-12-2019, 04:27 PM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
I don't know how it's working out in other states, but in Washington, the government is picking the winners and losers. Since recreational marijuana became legal, the dispensaries have closed, and the new shops focus on recreational, with a little medicinal section if they want to. The government decides who gets to grow and who gets to sell. That's not really capitalism.

Oops. Off topic.

Well it can't be completely capitalist because some (as in NJ) want to steer the business toward poor black communities, which have borne the most injuries if you will, in the War on Drugs. A form of reparations, really. Without government interference to some degree, that will never happen.

I'm sure it will get worse as Big Pharma gets in on the action, though. Pay to play might also be a concern. Look at liquor licenses. In many municipalities in NJ, they go to the highest bidder. Thus the diner that has been in town for 65 years cannot get a liquor license, because they can't outbid TGI Fridays who isn't even there yet (this happened here, the diner had a petition in it's door for years before they finally went out of business after 70 or so years). Capitalism that is open only to a select few is the last thing we need.

Old 02-12-2019, 06:42 PM

2,185 posts, read 1,382,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahayana View Post
https://imprimis.hillsdale.edu/marij...ness-violence/

Also read his book Tell Your Children

This used to be common knowledge in stoners circles back in the late 90s. Nowadays they have understood that in order to legalize it they need to rebrand it. Thus the tales of "the wonder plant". I have witnessed its ill effects first hand having spent my 20s around stoners. Several very serious cases of life wasting and crippling mental issues. I am friends with a couple former heavy users who despise it now and have educated me in the dangers of modern weed, the very high THC content type which was not around when we were teens. This is nothing like the hippies smoked back when your parents were kids. Even a regular variety when heavily used will trigger a change in your personality. Who knew messing with your brain using psychotropics could cause issues, eh ?

Btw, I am seeing the same types of effects on my next door neighbor who smokes everyday. Anxiety, paranoia, depression, acting irrational, staying home all the time...And this is light compared to what I saw in the past.

Last edited by Sorel36; 02-12-2019 at 06:51 PM..

Old 02-12-2019, 06:44 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Mental illness notwithstanding, just the fact that smoking pot RUINS a man's sexual performance ought to be enough to ban it to hell for all eternity.
I have found that prostate cancer when they remove your prostate along with the nerves attached to it and your penis, that totally ruins sexual performance.

Now after four years, my cancer returned and I had to go through radiation treatment with hormone treatment [they turned off my body's Testosterone for 2 years].

Old 02-12-2019, 07:20 PM

2,185 posts, read 1,382,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebellious1 View Post
Your friends and neighbor had mental issues before they started smoking.

Thank you for your informed medical opinion.

Old 02-12-2019, 08:34 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
I don't understand why people feel the need to attack cannabis users and call us names. If you don't like it, fine. Don't use it. Opiates are by far the most serious drug scourge in this country, and I would put cigarettes a close second. Both are highly addictive, which cannabis is not. I have used cannabis on and off for over 30 years, have gone without it for long periods, and never had any problems stopping. But it took me 13 years and nine tries before I was able to kick cigarettes.
Amen. I've been smoking both cannabis and cigarettes/tobacco since I was 15-16 years old; I'm now 42, and it's the TOBACCO addiction that has plagued me all of these years. I'm finally down to about 1/2 of what I used to smoke, thanks to a gradual transition to e-cigs (and the plan to eventually cut those too). But I can go without cannabis for any period of time, really, and don't even notice unless I'm really bored or something. Anyone who thinks they're equally addictive CANNOT have any personal experience, as there's simply no comparison.

Old 02-12-2019, 08:48 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
To me, the only real problem with pot is that many people are still smoking it. Smoking anything isn't healthy. There are many safer ways to get the THC/other benefits without the actual act of smoking.
Safer, yes - but whether these alternative methods are just as effective is debatable. I hate edibles because you have less control over dosage (even when they're labeled), and in my experiences I go from zero to TRIPPING OUT with no happy medium. I've also tried "vaping" with little success, as I feel like it just gives me a quick body high and then goes away. Smoking is still the most effective in my opinion, and really not THAT harmful if you're using a glass pipe. At least, it's not as bad as smoking joints.

I've read legitimate studies on the subject, and apparently it's the paper from joints that really causes major long-term damage; also, you have to smoke a VERY large amount for it to rival the damage of cigarettes. IIRC, it has to be around the equivalent of 20 joints/day? I couldn't smoke that much if I tried, lol. These days I smoke like 1-2 bowls a day at the very most, and always out of glass pipes I clean regularly. So that does minimize the lung damage, I hope.

Not that it matters until I quit smoking cigarettes too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness