Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2019, 02:32 PM

4,729 posts, read 2,585,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Incidentally, I was the front woman in a touring band for 13 years and recorded 6 CDs.
Courtney Love, is that you?..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2019, 02:46 PM

7,289 posts, read 4,061,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by double6's View Post
Courtney Love, is that you?..
Her drug of choice is not cannabis.

Old 02-18-2019, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
You're in Wisconsin. Good luck.
We're about to be surrounded by green states.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
Michigan just passed it, Illinois is seriously looking at it, Minnesota is seriously looking at it, and several counties in Wisconsin just recently had advisory referendums on the ballot during the midterms that all received overwhelming support, so it won't be long.

I remain optimistic.
. . . and now this:

Governor Evers Calls for Decriminalization of Recreational Marijuana Use

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/...se/2901119002/

Old 02-18-2019, 07:20 AM

88,189 posts, read 84,024,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I’m going to guess he was self-medicating in an attempt (subconscious) of trying to “normalize” a brain that feels “off”. I say that as someone with family issues including ADD (me), OCD (my mom and brother and me to some degree) and generalized anxiety issues (all of us) who also has a lifetime of self-medicating with everything from nicotine to caffeine to food to drugs when I was a teen to very early 20’s. People with any of these issues have a propensity to seek out the chemicals they don’t have enough of in our brains.

I tried Straterra for my ADD which is the only non-stimulant one, and it didn’t help. I know from my own past experiences stimulants are addictive for me so I won’t try them again. Pot has been by far the most helpful thing so far in breaking me past paralysis when I feel overwhelmed.
I didn't know that my secret "weirdness" was OCD until I was in my 40s and started seeing a therapist after my marriage ended. I went to see a pdoc for an anti-depressant, and in 15 minutes he picked up on a few things I said and nailed it.

Back in my therapist's office, we talked about the OCD and how/when it began when I was a child, and I said I used to be able to dissociate to relieve the constant anxiety and fear of death, to sort of set myself apart from myself in order to function and appear normal.

Then I thought about it for a minute and said, "Maybe that's why I liked smoking weed. It gave me similar relief" and he said, "HELL-OOOOOOOO".

Old 02-18-2019, 09:09 AM

67,652 posts, read 60,363,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Look, all I know is that it allows me to feel human when I'm slammed by one of my sinus headaches. Sinus migraine is probably a better term as it has many things in common with a migraine. But there is no obvious medical reason for my headaches and my doctors have always been conservative in prescribing effective drugs. It could have something to do with female pain not being taken seriously, but I suspect that it has more to do with the fact that the type of headaches I get are not well understood at all. An edible or two at least makes things bearable and allows me to sleep.

Excessive use of anything can cause... well, anything really. But how many people use marijuana that much?
"Excessive use" is a relative term. What's excessive or harmful to one person may or may not be to the next. That's the problem with weed - it's unpredictable and it's effects are all over the map. For some people it's a "gateway drug" and for others it's not. For some people, it interacts poorly with or negates the effects of other necessary medications, and for some people it doesn't interfere at all, or can in fact replace some meds apparently.

For some people ANY use is excessive. And the effects are not always predictable either, because weed is not regulated or quality controlled in many cases, and in those cases you really don't know what you're getting.

Old 02-18-2019, 09:50 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,458,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
"Excessive use" is a relative term. What's excessive or harmful to one person may or may not be to the next. That's the problem with weed - it's unpredictable and it's effects are all over the map. For some people it's a "gateway drug" and for others it's not. For some people, it interacts poorly with or negates the effects of other necessary medications, and for some people it doesn't interfere at all, or can in fact replace some meds apparently.

For some people ANY use is excessive. And the effects are not always predictable either, because weed is not regulated or quality controlled in many cases, and in those cases you really don't know what you're getting.
That is true with ANY drug, in my area, there are lots of heroin users, and one area in particular, right outside metro Cincinnati, in Newport, KY, commuters to work in the morning will stop by a certain shopping center to score dope before the work day, this shopping center is well known to police, as they make drug busts here all the time, but it just keeps happening, they will arrest a couple dealers and buyers and the next day 3 more have sprung up to replace them!

These people are apparently using a strong drug like heroin and then driving and going to work...Im not sure why there isnt numerous traffic accidents in the area, but I guess these people are functional addicts.

Whenever I talk to someone who strongly supports drug laws, the drug war, or restricting access to drugs in general, I always remind them that, the drug cartels strongly support tough drug laws as well, without these tough laws in place, they would not have such a profitable market, its that very reason why DEA and other narco-LE are in collusion with the cartels in the first place!

Old 02-18-2019, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
That is true with ANY drug, in my area, there are lots of heroin users, and one area in particular, right outside metro Cincinnati, in Newport, KY, commuters to work in the morning will stop by a certain shopping center to score dope before the work day, this shopping center is well known to police, as they make drug busts here all the time, but it just keeps happening, they will arrest a couple dealers and buyers and the next day 3 more have sprung up to replace them!

These people are apparently using a strong drug like heroin and then driving and going to work...Im not sure why there isnt numerous traffic accidents in the area, but I guess these people are functional addicts.

Whenever I talk to someone who strongly supports drug laws, the drug war, or restricting access to drugs in general, I always remind them that, the drug cartels strongly support tough drug laws as well, without these tough laws in place, they would not have such a profitable market, its that very reason why DEA and other narco-LE are in collusion with the cartels in the first place!
Yep it's true for any drug which is why I avoid all of them as much as possible. It's very easy to avoid the issues that come with, as you agree, ANY drug, if you just don't use them.

Old 02-18-2019, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Ever wonder why they don't bust people who are higher up on the food chain? Like they can't figure out who's providing the dealers with the product?

Old 02-18-2019, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
Ever wonder why they don't bust people who are higher up on the food chain? Like they can't figure out who's providing the dealers with the product?

I don't really care one way or the other. I'm not involved in the illegal drug trade at all, thank goodness. I encourage others to distance themselves from this brouhaha as well.

Most people who smoke weed do not do it for the medicinal effect - they do it recreationally. To clarify, I am not opposed to cannabis prescribed for medicinal purposes.

Old 02-19-2019, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Most people who smoke weed do not do it for the medicinal effect - they do it recreationally. To clarify, I am not opposed to cannabis prescribed for medicinal purposes.
Maybe so.

It's even possible that many who think they are doing it for recreational purposes are actually driven by an underlying medical need that they're not even aware of.

When I was diagnosed with depression many years ago, it was like a light bulb moment. Finally it all made sense.

I think it should be decriminalized for any purpose. People should not be incarcerated for consuming a plant they can grow, even if it's just for fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness