Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2019, 09:16 AM

42,846 posts, read 26,259,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
Frankly, it doesn't sound like a spinal problem at all.
One of the hallmarks of nerve damage is that you don't
feel it were the damage is. You feel it wherever those
nerves are supposed to go to.

If it is truly a back problem, I suspect muscle damage,
but it could also be a problem with what ever lies directly
beneath the muscles and bones where you feel the pain.

An MRI should have picked up any underlying problems,
so muscle damage is the most likely.

Again, just my opinion.
I disagree, I have two herniated lumbar discs. I get referred pain, i.e. pain into my legs and numbness in my feet, but I also have chronic pain in the area of the discs, it varies from a dull ache to almost unbearable pain. I've had it for 30+ years so yes, if you have disc problems you do get pain in the area of the discs.
https://www.webmd.com/back-pain/ss/s...-pain-overview
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2019, 09:29 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,183,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I disagree, I have two herniated lumbar discs. I get referred pain, i.e. pain into my legs and numbness in my feet, but I also have chronic pain in the area of the discs, it varies from a dull ache to almost unbearable pain. I've had it for 30+ years so yes, if you have disc problems you do get pain in the area of the discs.
https://www.webmd.com/back-pain/ss/s...-pain-overview
Similar to my experience with a herniation at L5-S1 that I just had surgically corrected in May. Almost all my significant pain was nerve pain down my left buttocks and legs, but I did occasionally have minor pain in the lower back, though it was a couple levels above where my herniation was. I still have it on and off throughout the week. I also occasionally had aching and pain in my SI joint area.

Once the herniation and nerve root compression was eliminated, the muscle muscle pain that came from compensating by the way I sat, stood, and walked has significantly lessened and continues to do so.

Old 07-13-2019, 03:05 PM

8,918 posts, read 4,645,770 times
Quote:
I will stand corrected on that. I have the same (almost identical) pain distribution as you do, but I have ignored it so long that I forgot that it hurts. Still, the referred pain, as you call it, is the hallmark of nerve damage.
Do you get numbness in your hip area as well?
The numbness in my legs climbs the outside of my lower legs, almost skips my thighs and attacks my hip area if I do too much work. (I can ignore pain, but the numbness kinda gets to me, psychologically.)

Old 07-13-2019, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
I will stand corrected on that. I have the same (almost identical) pain distribution as you do, but I have ignored it so long that I forgot that it hurts. Still, the referred pain, as you call it, is the hallmark of nerve damage.
Do you get numbness in your hip area as well?
The numbness in my legs climbs the outside of my lower legs, almost skips my thighs and attacks my hip area if I do too much work. (I can ignore pain, but the numbness kinda gets to me, psychologically.)
I see what you mean, don't even mention my chronic back pain to my doctor, it's always there to some extent so for the most part I ignore it. My hips don't seem to be affected but I get horrible sciatic pain down the back of my buttocks all the way down my leg on the left side, and the outside of my right leg gets numb as does my right foot resulting in foot drop. I've had injections a few times and they help for a while but I don't think there's a permanent fix.

Old 07-13-2019, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
Similar to my experience with a herniation at L5-S1 that I just had surgically corrected in May. Almost all my significant pain was nerve pain down my left buttocks and legs, but I did occasionally have minor pain in the lower back, though it was a couple levels above where my herniation was. I still have it on and off throughout the week. I also occasionally had aching and pain in my SI joint area.

Once the herniation and nerve root compression was eliminated, the muscle muscle pain that came from compensating by the way I sat, stood, and walked has significantly lessened and continues to do so.
You're lucky that surgery helped. I've been to three orthopedic surgeons and none of them want to operate. I had a cervical disc removed several years ago and got immediate relief but for some reason they tell me that surgery won't help with the problems in my lower back.

Old 07-13-2019, 09:28 PM

294 posts, read 219,618 times
I have had herniated discs for 36 years, started with one and now have seven with mild to moderate stenosis at 5 levels.
Three are cervical and four are lumbar. I have seen a chiropractor for 30 years and he has relieved my pain almost every time. There is ample proof that chiropractic adjustment is most often the best treatment for LOWER back pain.
Always have your lower back supported when sitting, pillow or rolled up towel works well. Pay attention to your posture and pelvic tilt when standing and go for long walks if you can. One thing I do that always helps is lay on your back on the floor and pull your knees to your chest, it stretches your lower spine and relieves a lot of pain. And strengthen your abdominal muscles that will help more than anything. I try to live an active life as much as pain permits, if you give up and get lazy you will go downhill much faster. Stay well hydrated. Get a cervical pillow for your neck, it saved me from brutal pain when my stenosis first struck I could not live without it now.

Old 07-15-2019, 08:35 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,086,660 times
Have any of you tried a Lidoderm. Patch on your lower back for back pain? Does it help?

Old 07-16-2019, 04:21 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,086,660 times
Quote:
The Aleve won't work right now because it hurts too bad, if you can get the pain level down some the Aleve will work, it's an anti-inflammatory.
So Aleve doesn't work after the pain gets bad? You have to take Aleve BEFORE you have bad pain?

I took two before I left for work yesterday and the day went pretty good - back pain was minimal or non existent.

I always thought you take pain medication AFTER you have pain?

Old 07-16-2019, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
So Aleve doesn't work after the pain gets bad? You have to take Aleve BEFORE you have bad pain?
I took two before I left for work yesterday and the day went pretty good - back pain was minimal or non existent.
In my opinion, it works better if you don't wait until the pain is intolerable. But if that's doesn't hold true for you then you should do what works

Old 07-16-2019, 06:33 AM

8,918 posts, read 4,645,770 times
Quote:
... The Aleve won't work right now because it hurts too bad, if you can get the pain level down some the Aleve will work, it's an anti-inflammatory. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
So Aleve doesn't work after the pain gets bad? ....
There are limits to what Aleve can do, same with Ibuprophen, which is what I take.
If the problem were strictly pain, you would want to take the medicine as soon as possible after it begins to hurt, but in many cases, (like 2sleepy and myself) the problem is partly or mostly inflammation.
For inflammation, you need to take the medicine before you feel the pain.

Quote:
In my opinion, it works better if you don't wait until the pain is intolerable. But if that's doesn't hold true for you then you should do what works
This is correct, each of us is different, what works best, for each of us, will be different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness