Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 08:44 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times

Advertisements

You see I have never quite understood after you have been married 20+ yrs they still ask for your maiden name on your medical history when most likely any records you ever had 40 + yrs ago are gone or unable to be located ? I don't understand that , Does anyone else ? just curious . I never give it to them and why do they also ask for your social security number what if some temp in the drs office stole that info and did illegal stuff with it ? like take out credit cards in your name ? I have heard about it happening . My mother would never put her ss number on medical forms because she used to say you just never know ? are you required by law to put your ss number on a medical form just curious . if not im not putting it on there .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2019, 08:55 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,265,237 times
Maiden name- I suppose they ask it of every woman regardless of age. Even a woman beyond traditional age for the first marriage may have married recently for the first time.

SS Number- yeah, I HATE that. Then they ask for your driver's license and, without bothering to ask if it's OK, they make a copy of it. I suppose they want your SSN because if they send your account to collections they need that info. I also understand the driver's license request because there have been plenty of cases in which someone loaned their insurance card to a friend or relative who didn't have health insurance but needed care. They want to make sure you're the person who has coverage. No earthly reason I can think of that they need to store a copy of it other than CYA.

At least they've quit using your SSN as your Medicare ID number. Millions of seniors carrying a Medicare card emblazoned with their SSN. Yeah, that was smart. DH carried around a copy of his on which he'd blacked out his SSN (he supplied it on request) and kept the original at home. Never had a problem. When I filed for Widow's benefits after he died and then became Medicare-eligible a couple of years later, I was given a card with his SSN on it. I was happy with that; I'd already reported his death to the credit bureaus so no one could use it fraudulently. I now have a new card with a totally different number. It's about time.

Old 02-19-2019, 08:56 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,763 times
I have never had to put a maiden name on a doctor form, but I have put my SSN and I am never happy about it. I have never asked why they need it, so that's on me. They are afraid you won't pay your bill I suppose and this way the collection agency can hunt you down. I am just guessing though.

Old 02-19-2019, 09:08 AM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
You see I have never quite understood after you have been married 20+ yrs they still ask for your maiden name on your medical history when most likely any records you ever had 40 + yrs ago are gone or unable to be located ? I don't understand that , Does anyone else ? just curious . I never give it to them and why do they also ask for your social security number what if some temp in the drs office stole that info and did illegal stuff with it ? like take out credit cards in your name ? I have heard about it happening . My mother would never put her ss number on medical forms because she used to say you just never know ? are you required by law to put your ss number on a medical form just curious . if not im not putting it on there .

I've filled out quite a few medical forms, and don't recall any where they asked for my maiden name.

Old 02-19-2019, 09:29 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
It is illegal to use or request someones SS number for ID purposes.

Its illegal for a very good reason too!

Old 02-19-2019, 09:32 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,179,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I can't recall that I've ever been asked to provide my maiden name on a medical form. Middle name, sometimes, but usually it just asks for first and last name.

I'm with you on the frustration at being asked for SSN by anyone other than the federal government. SSN has become the de facto national identification number, which was never the intention. However, as someone else pointed out, they ask this to ensure your identity to prevent insurance fraud and also to protect them in the event that accounts are sent to collections. You can always decline to provide it and see what happens.

Old 02-19-2019, 10:28 AM

924 posts, read 1,676,004 times
I haven't provided my SS# in years, with the exception of when I use Metlife Dental, who still use my SS# as the identifier for all members of the family.

For all other doctors, I skip the SS#. No one has ever asked me about it.

I get asked for a middle name or initial, but not a maiden name, not in this century.

Old 02-19-2019, 10:29 AM

326 posts, read 200,242 times
Unfortunately the Ssn Is often the only way to pull up insurance information.especially for optical or dental benefits

Old 02-19-2019, 12:04 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I have never had to put a maiden name on a doctor form, but I have put my SSN and I am never happy about it. I have never asked why they need it, so that's on me. They are afraid you won't pay your bill I suppose and this way the collection agency can hunt you down. I am just guessing though.
Then why do you do it? I always leave that line blank and in 40+ years of going to medical appointments, I've only been questioned about it a handful of times. In each instance, I simply told the receptionist that they had no need for my SSN, and the matter was never pursued further.

Old 02-19-2019, 12:08 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,974,750 times
I've never been asked to give my maiden name, but I would think if they did ask, it would be to find your previous medical records. No one has asked for a SS number for years. If they did ask, I wouldn't supply it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness