Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 03:27 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times

Advertisements

I have a loved one who abused Vicodine for too long and went totally went deaf. She now uses a Cochlear Implant and when she takes it off to sleep, she's stone deaf. Very very tragic story but thank goodness for the CI and House Clinic who does this work. She spent a lot of months in a rehab home as well.

https://www.promises.com/blog/little...-hearing-loss/

I know this issue has been discussed a lot here but thought I'd make a posting as a reminder of the dangers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2019, 10:10 PM

17,569 posts, read 13,344,160 times
Vicodin, like every medication or substance that you put into your body, can have bad side effects. Hearing loss is rare but it does happen. (There are worse side effects like stopping breathing)

Like we told our abusers when we consulted them, "play stupid games, win stupid prizes!"

Old 02-25-2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Vicodin, like every medication or substance that you put into your body, can have bad side effects. Hearing loss is rare but it does happen. (There are worse side effects like stopping breathing)

Like we told our abusers when we consulted them, "play stupid games, win stupid prizes!"
Hearing issues are common with a lot of pain meds including the OTC ones. People talk about ringing in ears, tinnitis --- pain med damage from so much I've read.

If only the great drugs could be brought to the people with LESS side effect issues. I still have a hard time believing that can't be achieved.

Old 02-25-2019, 01:59 PM

23,281 posts, read 18,810,120 times
If you are abusing opioids hearing loss is the LEAST of your problems!!

Old 02-25-2019, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
If you are abusing opioids hearing loss is the LEAST of your problems!!
So you never went deaf???? It's amazing how this issue is minimized so far. Just amazing.

Old 02-25-2019, 04:43 PM

2,893 posts, read 2,141,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I have a loved one who abused Vicodine for too long and went totally went deaf. She now uses a Cochlear Implant and when she takes it off to sleep, she's stone deaf. Very very tragic story but thank goodness for the CI and House Clinic who does this work. She spent a lot of months in a rehab home as well.

https://www.promises.com/blog/little...-hearing-loss/

I know this issue has been discussed a lot here but thought I'd make a posting as a reminder of the dangers.
so little medical history provided for such a big conclusion.

Old 02-25-2019, 05:11 PM

8,227 posts, read 3,419,408 times
Quote:
Hearing issues are common with a lot of pain meds including the OTC ones. People talk about ringing in ears, tinnitis --- pain med damage from so much I've read.

If only the great drugs could be brought to the people with LESS side effect issues. I still have a hard time believing that can't be achieved.
Every unnatural drug has side effects, and they always will. They do not work with the body to help it heal. Pain drugs dull symptoms and do nothing to correct the cause.

Other kinds of drugs also have side effects, especially if used for a long time. And the interactions between different drugs are mostly unknown, because there are so many possible combinations most cannot be studied.

Drugs are now called medicine, but they are not medicine. They interfere with the body's natural processes and with its ability to heal itself.

The idea that drugs could be made without side effects is like the idea that there are cures for cancer that are kept hidden. Medical science does not have the kind of abilities you imagine it has.

Old 02-25-2019, 05:18 PM

17,569 posts, read 13,344,160 times
Quote:
So you never went deaf???? It's amazing how this issue is minimized so far. Just amazing.
I didn't minimize it. Just said it's rare and other side effects (stop breathing= die) are much more common and I'm sorry that you thought so. Death is much worse than not hearing.

So Parnassia's comment is also very true

Remember, play stupid games (abuse opiates) wi stupid prizes

Old 02-25-2019, 06:53 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
Every unnatural drug has side effects, and they always will. They do not work with the body to help it heal. Pain drugs dull symptoms and do nothing to correct the cause.

Other kinds of drugs also have side effects, especially if used for a long time. And the interactions between different drugs are mostly unknown, because there are so many possible combinations most cannot be studied.

Drugs are now called medicine, but they are not medicine. They interfere with the body's natural processes and with its ability to heal itself.

The idea that drugs could be made without side effects is like the idea that there are cures for cancer that are kept hidden. Medical science does not have the kind of abilities you imagine it has.
But opiates as a whole aren't "unnatural" - what can be more natural than a beautiful poppy?

For that matter, so is cocaine, so is alcohol, so is aspirin - natural that is.

So I don't think it is the "naturalness" or "unnaturalness" that is the defining factor of whether something has side effects.

Old 02-25-2019, 06:54 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,225,081 times
Quote:
It is minimized because it is RARE...

It is also, to my knowledge, only associated with Vicodin ABUSE....

Nothing "amazing" about minimizing the side effects of ABUSING narcotic pain medications, as Parnassia stated if you are abusing opioids potential hearing loss should be low among your concerns.....somewhere after respiratory arrest and DEATH is where I would put it....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness