U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 11:09 AM

4,586 posts, read 3,524,769 times

Advertisements

I eat all of those regularly, except for the walnuts.

I think that list is a fairly typical part of the weekly grocery shopping for people who have an inkling about what a healthy diet consists of.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2019, 11:11 AM

22,340 posts, read 21,425,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I don't have salmon or berries, otherwise all that stuff is constantly in the house. I like ahi/white fish and not salmon (so I take fish oil), and berries both cost a fortune here AND suck, so I rarely buy them. But I have some acai in the freezer.

A lot of the list are ingredients that go into recipes.
As I was saying, I'm pleased with this list because usually the "good" lists are of things I never even heard of or can't get. (Like WTH is acai????)

Blueberries--just buy bags of frozen blueberries and make blueberry pancakes or use the blueberries to make smoothies. Even blueberries in a dish with milk over them.

Nuts--They are expensive but I get slivered almonds and put them onto bread with some raisins for a sandwich snack.

Avocado on toast is almost a cliche these days.

Eggs--hard boil and slice up for salads, poach and put on toast, make deviled eggs, some people like soft boiled eggs.

Broccoli--lots of people don't like it but you can throw it into a casserole. Cabbage is related=coleslaw.

Onions--make a hamburger and put a couple slices of onion on top. Make beef stew with onions. You can put onions in a lot of foods.

These are mostly yummy foods too. I'm so glad it didn't say things like (yuck) cucumbers, liver, eggplant, chia seeds, anchovies, tofu, lentils.

Old 03-03-2019, 11:47 AM

2,552 posts, read 954,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
As I was saying, I'm pleased with this list because usually the "good" lists are of things I never even heard of or can't get. (Like WTH is acai????)

Blueberries--just buy bags of frozen blueberries and make blueberry pancakes or use the blueberries to make smoothies. Even blueberries in a dish with milk over them.

Nuts--They are expensive but I get slivered almonds and put them onto bread with some raisins for a sandwich snack.

Avocado on toast is almost a cliche these days.

Eggs--hard boil and slice up for salads, poach and put on toast, make deviled eggs, some people like soft boiled eggs.

Broccoli--lots of people don't like it but you can throw it into a casserole. Cabbage is related=coleslaw.

Onions--make a hamburger and put a couple slices of onion on top. Make beef stew with onions. You can put onions in a lot of foods.

These are mostly yummy foods too. I'm so glad it didn't say things like (yuck) cucumbers, liver, eggplant, chia seeds, anchovies, tofu, lentils.
Chia seeds are awesome soaked in coconut or almond milk with some dried cherries. Makes a yummy breakfast pudding. Excellent source of Omega 3 and 6 essential fatty acids.

Anchovies, when broken into bite size bits are an awesome addition to a cheese pizza. A source of Omega 3, great for skin, heart, weight loss, and healthy bones and teeth.

Tofu is the shizzle of plant based proteins as it takes on the flavor of anything it is cooked with. Is also an excellent choice of phytoestrogen for us older ladies. Reduces cholesterol levels and maintains cardiovascular health.

Eggplant makes an awesome lasagna noodle. Just slice it, bread it, fry or bake it and use it instead of pasta for layers. Increases mineral density in bones and is good for overall bone health. A good source of vitamin K. Contains fiber, potassium, vitamin C and B6.

I hate liver too, but its a great source of iron among other things.

Lentils are good. Are amazingly healthy too. Heart health, digestive health, prevents atherosclerosis and cancer.

Old 03-03-2019, 11:51 AM

37,542 posts, read 23,561,483 times
Yeah, but life is too short to eat things you don't like, and many other options are available with the same health benefits.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 03-03-2019, 02:41 PM

6,175 posts, read 3,045,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I eat a lot of those foods because I like them;.
Me too, except no coffee or boiled eggs. I'm nuts for nuts!

Love raspberries but go for the Costco frozen blueberries because they're so much cheaper.

Old 03-03-2019, 02:51 PM

4,948 posts, read 3,609,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
How much importance to place on these snacks that the "super healthy" people at work are always talking about ALL day? Seems to be good evidence for these foods, and combined with exercise seems to be a safe bet. Looks like many of these have some evidence of reducing cancer risk. These people sometimes substitute 2-3 of these items for an entire meal!

1. handful of almonds daily
2. handful of walnuts daily
3. 2 avocados per week
4. blueberries throughout week
5. red raspberries throughout week
6. boiled eggs
7. broccoli
8. spinach leaves
9. garlic and onions
10. tomatoes
11. citrus fruits
12. salmon
13. coffee
14. whole grains
I eat most of those multiple times per week. I would also add to the list
  1. kale
  2. collard greens
  3. acai berry
  4. maca powder
  5. spirulina
  6. tumeric
  7. ginger
  8. coconut oil / milk / water
  9. hemp seeds
  10. chia seeds
  11. ceylon cinnamon
  12. goji berries
  13. bone broth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness