Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 03:05 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,454,113 times

Advertisements

So I actually contacted the attraction in question and it was an interesting experience. They thought I was from a local news outlet as apparently I'm not the only one who has complained to them about getting sick after visiting. The public health and hygiene officer (yes they have one) said that they are putting up hand sanitizer stations and signage about visiting during cold and flu season and hand washing. So I answered my own question. Yes it's possible to get sick in this place. Even common.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2019, 03:16 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
So I actually contacted the attraction in question and it was an interesting experience. They thought I was from a local news outlet as apparently I'm not the only one who has complained to them about getting sick after visiting. The public health and hygiene officer (yes they have one) said that they are putting up hand sanitizer stations and signage about visiting during cold and flu season and hand washing. So I answered my own question. Yes it's possible to get sick in this place. Even common.

Anyplace that's crowded it's possible, even common to transmit viruses.

Either avoid this place, wear a mask, wash hands and use hand sanitizer, and make sure you have a flu vaccine....shrugs.

Same goes for pretty much everywhere - why do you think grocery stores started putting sanitizer stations in the entrance and cruise ships started dispensing sanitizer as you walk into the dining room? I seriously doubt there is anything special about this one particular tourist attraction.

Old 03-14-2019, 04:28 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Could very well be strange molds (think legionaires disease) in the HVAC systems - fed, of course, by many of the other things you mention.

I'd stay away. It's the universe trying to tell you something. I never visited any tourist attraction that is worth more than a couple visits.....(IMHO) anyway.

Old 03-15-2019, 07:38 AM

3,550 posts, read 3,112,174 times
If someone calls with a complaint like that, it's standard operating procedure to tell them there are hand sanitizers and signs warning about flu season. I wouldn't read anything into that. Where I worked receptionists were usually told to say such things, and usually they were asked not to transfer calls like that. But I wouldn't put it past some receptionists to "transfer you to a Health Officer" (aka another receptionist) just so you feel you've reached someone important, LOL. Although, who knows, maybe you really did speak with a higher up. I know people who called my fire station who insisted on talking with the Chief, and sometimes they managed to do that. So you never know.

You'll notice stores, government buildings, medical buildings, etc. all have hand sanitizers and signs warning people about the flu. Again, I wouldn't read anything into that beyond standard operating procedure at this time of year.

Old 03-24-2019, 11:00 AM

349 posts, read 229,322 times
Is it indoors or out? That can make a difference, but no I've never experienced routinely getting ill after visiting a certain place often. I do feel like I could easily get sick whenever I fly...airports and planes always seem so germy to me but most of the time I'm fine.

Old 03-24-2019, 11:23 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
I do think your experiences are exacerbated by the stress you feel when your “mate’s” family visits.

Old 03-26-2019, 10:24 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,763 times
Quote:
You can get sick by pushing a shopping cart around. They are one of the dirtiest and germiest things out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness