Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 11:36 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,198,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Apnea will manifest itself regardless of the mechanism by which you fall asleep. Use of a sleeping aid is very common in a sleep study.

The study isn't really about "sleep behavior" but rather how you breath while asleep.
I guess I didn't realize the ONLY thing a sleep clinic can diagnose is sleep apnea as there are many sleep "diseases" like narcolepsy, etc. that could also be impacted by taking medication before hand.

In terms of effects, alcohol certainly impacts snoring...

You're saying that regardless of whether a medication affects snoring specifically, sleep apnea is diagnosable based on the other readings being taken?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2019, 11:42 AM

3,009 posts, read 2,198,446 times
https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-pro...t/pac-20394877

Old 03-12-2019, 11:50 AM

10,332 posts, read 5,502,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I guess I didn't realize the ONLY thing a sleep clinic can diagnose is sleep apnea as there are many sleep "diseases" like narcolepsy, etc. that could also be impacted by taking medication before hand.
Agreed, apnea isn't the only condition that can be diagnosed through a sleep study, but it is the most common reason for a study.

Quote:
In terms of effects, alcohol certainly impacts snoring...

You're saying that regardless of whether a medication affects snoring specifically, sleep apnea is diagnosable based on the other readings being taken?
I'm the wrong kind of doctor to authoritatively answer that question. However, my understanding based on my own experience with sleep studies and very detailed discussions with my doctors, is that snoring may be a result of apnea (among other things), but the two primary types of apnea (obstructive and central), will be present (if in fact they exist for the patient) regardless of whether one is snoring or not, and will be detected by the various probes attached to the body.

My recollection is that the only "measurement" of snoring was the audio recording taken during the study.

Old 03-13-2019, 01:13 PM

36,499 posts, read 53,788,709 times
The worst night of my life! First of all, I sleep only in a tee shirt if even that but since I knew somebody would be looking at me, I wore a gown. I hate anything around my waist or legs.
Then sleeping-I use the term loosely- with some dude peeking and listening was making me nervous. Then I have to have complete darkness. I took my own sleep mask but the light from under the door was a distraction.
Then the leads and wires. Oh Lord, I thought I was being tortured.
Then strange bed is not conducive to good sleep.
Then I usually go to bed pretty late but that night I had to get in bed much earlier than usual and it is not fun to toss and turn for hours before usual bedtime.

Several times I thought "if I had driven to the hospital myself I would be able to just get up and leave" but DH drove me there.
In the morning the technician and I had a little chat. I asked him what would have happened if I had just left. He said "More than half the people do just that." He also told me from what he saw and heard he did not see any sleep apnea.

I WAS NOT GIVEN ANY SLEEPING PILL OR MEDICATION AT ALL.

At my follow up appointment with the MD in charge of the clinic, she told me I definitely did have sleep apnea and then immediately went into the sales pitch for the machine. I felt rushed and like I was a customer and not a patient. After talking to others, I found out many people feel the same way. That they are just selling machines.

I know I sound like the Princess and the Pea. I did so much better taking melatonin every night for about 2 years and then suddenly it just doesn't work anymore. I usually average 4-5 hours of sleep on a good night.

Old 03-13-2019, 01:20 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,340,050 times
My sleep study was done at home. I just wore some kind of contraption with sensors to stick on my forehead (I think). No sleep meds. It was a bit annoying but that's about it.

I was diagnosed with sleep apnea and have been using a CPAP for about 2 years now. Sleep so much better. I wouldn't sleep without it.

Old 03-14-2019, 02:07 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,002,522 times
I had a sleep study ,they gave me a bunch of stuff to hook up to at home at bed time then they read the results the next day when i brought the equipment back, turns out i was stopping breathing 88 times a night, cure? a $2000 CPAP machine.

Old 03-15-2019, 10:15 AM

3,106 posts, read 1,753,548 times
I did one at a hospital last night. It was awful. I think I had 26 wires attached to my head, face, torso sides, and below my knees plus two straps around my chest & abdomen, also wired, and something in my nose. I don't normally sleep on my back but it was near impossible to move and so I maybe slept for an hour. At one point the tech came in and hooked me up with a CPAP that only made my discomfort worse. Seeing I wasn't sleeping she came in again and I said I just couldn't get comfortable sleeping on my back so she helped me get turned over which was better, but the inability to move without tugging on a wire made that very uncomfortable too after a few minutes.

My guess is they won't have any useful results for me given how little I slept.

The tech was wonderful and did what she could. The problem was me just not being able to adapt to the study. The facility was great too, very comfortable, quiet, & no lights, and a private bathroom I was able to shower in the morning after it was all over.

Old 03-15-2019, 11:12 AM

13 posts, read 17,826 times
My dear wife snored for many years though she got angry and defensive each time I told her. I guess it is embarrassing for her and she was in denial. She started to have dry throat issue 2 years ago and saw her doctor. I guess this is because she had to breath through mouth while sleeping.

After a home sleep study with equipment ordered by her doctor she was diagnosed with mild sleep apnea. Her doctor said to get a special mouth guard from dentist that opens her lower jaw. And she needs to lose some weight.

Now, she has lost about 15 pounds, and wears the mouth guard each night, her snore and dry throat disappeared. I downloaded a SnoreClock App on cellphone and records her every night. Most nights are quiet. She has to wear mouth guard forever now to keep her jaw open at night.

Old 03-15-2019, 10:44 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,591,515 times
I thought I wouldn't sleep but I fell asleep pretty quickly. Very comfortable bed, dark room, quiet. I had all the stuff glued to me and bands around my chest, waist, and not sure where else.

Old 03-17-2019, 05:53 AM

577 posts, read 484,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
Has anyone ever gotten a sleep study done?

Did it reveal any issues? Do you sleep better now? what was the actual experience like? Were you able to fall asleep?

I'm probably going to have a sleep study done and I was just wondering how it went for people. I feel like I wouldn't be able to fall asleep because I would have all those wires hooked up to me.

Also, what different things can a sleep study identify? Can it identify MORE than just how often you wake up during the night?

Thanks for any info!
This topic can be a HUGE one.....

Having been diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea in 2003, I have been down this road a few times while having TWO in- hospital sleep studies done and ONE home sleep study done.

First, anyone that is having sleep issues should see their GP (general practitioner) doctor first, to discuss their issue with him/her. As noted earlier. there can be diverse issues for lack of sleep.

My SA was discovered when at age 45, I knew it was time to go to my doctor for my chronic tiredness. And the catalyst for finally making me go see a doctor for my tiredness, was after I fell asleep driving home from work one day. When I woke up and found myself driving in the opposite lane, while almost hitting a car head on.

In Oct of 2018 my SECOND old BIPAP machine finally broke down, so I had to get a new sleep study done in order for my insurance to pay for another machine. ($3600 !!) Today the sleep center that is recommended by ones physician, will offer two methods of study for the new patient with suspected SA.

1. The home study= patient picks up a cigarette pack size electronic box, wires and sensor pads from the sleep center. They hang the box on their chest, and place the sensors where specified. While one is sleeping, the box records the number of snores and period of time the patient stops breathing. This is the least expensive method of the initial test to diagnose one for SA. Costs around $100-200 for the home study.

2. In hospital overnight stay SA study = The patient reports in at the designated time to sleep overnight. They should take their own favorite sleeping pillow and wear top AND bottom PJ's. The patient should get their PJ's on BEFORE the tech puts the array of wires and sensors on them.
Because it is really HARD to undress from one's street clothes to get in their PJ's, with the motherload of wires hooked up on them.

The tech will monitor the sleeping patients breathing pattern from their office. Once they see a pattern of frequent stops of breathing while the patient is asleep, the tech will awaken the patient and hook up a CPAP machine and face mask and place the face mask on the patient. This action will not only help the patient to sleep, but gives the doctor the data needed to see the extent of ones SA, or even if a supplied air machine will even help the patient. My costs for my hospital sleep studies were around $1200-1500 each that were paid for by my insurance provider.

I do not understand the apprehension being noted here about the "fears" of a sleep study being done. It is entirely painless, and the uneasy feelings about one sleeping with cameras and wires attached is duly noted. If a person feels they will have issues doing the sleep study falling asleep, they need to tell their doctor. Because if a heavy sedative is taken by the patient on their own before the test, it will "alter" the accuracy of the sleep study. Ones insurance will probably not pay for two sleep studies if it is found out that the first one was "boogered" by a heavy sleeping drug.

Sleep study privacy and respect ? As with any medical procedure done, the patients privacy is respected and adhered to during a sleep study. And as ALWAYS, any time a patient is treated with disrespect for their privacy or well being, they need to report such events to their medical hierarchy chain of command.

But it is up to the PATIENT, to assure they dress appropriately for the sleep study. If a male wears only a speedo to bed for the study, or a female wears a short, sheer nightie for the sleep study ? Then yes, THEY have put themselves in to a compromising situation, where they should worry about their privacy while sleeping and being on camera. Simple. Just dress for sleeping away from home for one night appropriately.

No one is videoing the patient to put their sleep study live on the internet for bad reasons. They have to do a live video feed to record and monitor the patients method of sleep and what happens during the patients mode of sleep. IE: Snore the worst on their back or side ? Sleep with arms above head, along their sides ? Sleep the best in what position ? Do they toss and turn often ? Eyes flutter while asleep ? On and on.

And if one is like me, I was so tired when I did my sleep study, the tech had to wake me up just to put the air pump on me. And if a person does have SA, it is IMPERATIVE to get the proper help and machine to assist them in their nights sleep.

Because when ones stops breathing at night, all sorts of health issues from cardiac issues/high BP, risk of stroke etc. can follow eventually if untreated. In addition to the dangers from the tiredness for the lack of restful sleep and head on crashes/irritability/lack of energy needed for ones daily performance of duties.

And once a person starts using the CPAP or BIPAP machine, they will find themselves not being able to fall asleep without it . Yes, its cumbersome and pesky to get used to using. But we SA sufferer's get used to it and soon find its just like putting on another piece of sleep wear. I cannot live without my BIPAP machine now..literally. Good Luck OP and JMO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness