Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 03:45 AM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Geeze, after eating eggs weekly for over 80 years I guess I better start shopping for a casket.
Remember? Back in the 30's, 40's, 50's? Nothing wrong with smoking tobacco. They even showed ads with a Doctor smoking a cigarette!

I find most research projects to be just another source of entertainment, and always anticipate reversal after reversal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2019, 04:37 AM

8,755 posts, read 5,042,001 times
Reported today......A baby aspirin a day, long thought to be a good idea.....not so much anymore.

Old 03-18-2019, 06:51 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,456,642 times
I ate my 4 eggs this morning and will continue with my 4-13 eggs a day. It is a phase I am on anyway. Usually go thru food phases every two years. I workout every day, don't smoke, don't do sugar and eat clean. I am going to continue with the eggs. Pretty soon coffee and dark chocolate will be back on the list of bad things.

Old 03-18-2019, 08:21 AM

7,234 posts, read 4,542,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Excess cholesterol is not good for you, and the body produces enough of it on its own so you don't have to eat a lot of it.
But this ignores the studies that says your body adjusts (via the liver) for whatever cholesterol you consume. And there are a lot of those studies. It also ignores the many studies that show how important cholesterol is to every single section of your body (including the brain) and that you are more likely to die with low cholesterol than high.

The clogged artery theory of heat attack has never been proven and the facts are that at least 50% of heart attacks occur in people without heart disease.

It also seems strange that eggs could be bad for you since, likely, when we were hunter gatherers we would have that as a breakfast staple. Also eggs are packed with other nutrients that your body needs (including K2 -- which keeps calcium out of cholesterol).

I am going to keep eating eggs but cut back a little bit until this study is debunked.

Old 03-18-2019, 08:55 AM

1,624 posts, read 1,354,061 times
I didn't read the link, but I am guessing that none of the studies controlled for things like total carbs in the diet. My guess is that eggs, and fat in general, might be "bad" for you if you also eat a high-carb/flour/sugar diet.

So I will continue to believe Dr. Atkins, a cardiologist who successfully treated thousands of patients, as well as the countless people (including myself) who have good results with a low-carb, high-fat diet.

Old 03-18-2019, 10:03 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
When studies or research indicates that eggs are harmless and 'good' for you, then automatically take that at face value without questioning anything (such as, who or what organization was behind this research).

However, when studies or research indicates eggs may be bad for you, then go out of your way to nitpick and discredit the study.

Yes, that really sounds balanced and fair.

At any rate, Dr. Robert Eckel (University of Colorado) says that the risks of egg consumption, heart disease, and early death are only modest. And this study isn't exactly the gold standard of research methodologies.

So while eating eggs isn't something to panic over unlike other dietary habits, eating too much of it isn't good for you either. Excess cholesterol is not good for you, and the body produces enough of it on its own so you don't have to eat a lot of it.

Regardless of the factors that lead to heart attacks and stroke, guess what plaque is made out of (the stuff that clogs your blood vessels)? Yup, cholesterol among other things, especially LDL, the 'bad' cholesterol, which increases with egg consumption. Common sense would dictate that the more you partake of something that is a building block of plaque, the more of a risk factor it becomes in forming that plaque.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMjXNOzZHu0

I always listen to his podcasts (Greger)!! Saves me tons of research as he reads all the studies, tells you which are good/bad and why, etc.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-18-2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlecat View Post
I didn't read the link, but I am guessing that none of the studies controlled for things like total carbs in the diet. My guess is that eggs, and fat in general, might be "bad" for you if you also eat a high-carb/flour/sugar diet.

So I will continue to believe Dr. Atkins, a cardiologist who successfully treated thousands of patients, as well as the countless people (including myself) who have good results with a low-carb, high-fat diet.

And died of a heart attack, and autopsy showed a history congestive heart failure and hypertension?

I mean stuff happens, but certainly not a great selling point.

Old 03-18-2019, 10:38 AM

29,509 posts, read 22,620,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
But this ignores the studies that says your body adjusts (via the liver) for whatever cholesterol you consume. And there are a lot of those studies. It also ignores the many studies that show how important cholesterol is to every single section of your body (including the brain) and that you are more likely to die with low cholesterol than high.

The clogged artery theory of heat attack has never been proven and the facts are that at least 50% of heart attacks occur in people without heart disease.

It also seems strange that eggs could be bad for you since, likely, when we were hunter gatherers we would have that as a breakfast staple. Also eggs are packed with other nutrients that your body needs (including K2 -- which keeps calcium out of cholesterol).

I am going to keep eating eggs but cut back a little bit until this study is debunked.
The body also down regulates LDL receptors when ingesting excess cholesterol. These receptors help to clear bad LDL from the body. And the body makes all the cholesterol it needs for vital body functions and processes, there is absolutely no need to ingest cholesterol and taking in excess doesn't make it 'better.'

And studies linking low cholesterol with higher mortality than high cholesterol are based on flawed studies, and there's also this thing called reverse causation bias. For example, a person may have cancer which causes low cholesterol as one of the side effects, so someone may decide that low cholesterol is what caused the cancer and killed the person.

There really is nothing bad with low cholesterol. When you see claims that people with 'low' cholesterol have had heart disease, their levels might be under the current recommended guidelines for cholesterol levels, making them 'low,' but in reality, it is still too high. Current total cholesterol recommendation is less than 200 mg/dL, and someone may have 190 mg/dL, but that is still higher than the 150 mg/dL limit which is found to make one almost heart attack proof (not completely, but close). Same with LDL levels, 50-70 mg/dL, particulalry the lower end of 50, also makes one almost heart attack proof. That is far lower than the current recommended guideline of less than 100 mg/dL.

At any rate, like I said, eating eggs here and there isn't any concern, but eating a dozen per day, seven days a week, is not healthy. If you were someone that was into extreme sports like ultra marathoning, where you were running 20 miles or more a day, I can see the physical exertion will overcome any bad dietary habits. Or even back in the day when your great grandparents did hard physical labor day after day. But for the soft average joe and jane today who sits on their rear end all day? Nope.

Old 03-18-2019, 11:16 AM

8,227 posts, read 3,414,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
And died of a heart attack, and autopsy showed a history congestive heart failure and hypertension?

I mean stuff happens, but certainly not a great selling point.
I don't remember exactly, but there was controversy about Dr. Atkin's death. The low fat advocates wanted everyone to think his diet advice was no good. It is turning out that most of what he said was probably right. Years ago, he was talking about metabolic syndrome and carbohydrate addiction. Mainstream medicine has been very slow to accept those ideas, but it is true that most heart disease results from metabolic syndrome and diabetes 2, NOT from high cholesterol. High cholesterol may be a co-factor, but in most cases is not a primary cause.

Old 03-18-2019, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
I don't remember exactly, but there was controversy about Dr. Atkin's death. The low fat advocates wanted everyone to think his diet advice was no good. It is turning out that most of what he said was probably right. Years ago, he was talking about metabolic syndrome and carbohydrate addiction. Mainstream medicine has been very slow to accept those ideas, but it is true that most heart disease results from metabolic syndrome and diabetes 2, NOT from high cholesterol. High cholesterol may be a co-factor, but in most cases is not a primary cause.

I looked it up on Snopes after I posted and the conclusion was mixed. Hard to tell because both sides have a personal motivation to be right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness